Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: TIG Pedal Modification

Thanks

krisnanj's Tools

TIG Pedal Modification

I did not like the way my TIG foot pedal was configured, so I used an idea I got from a drum pedal. I mounted the original pedal to a piece of aluminum plate (this was actually an old aluminum threshold that I cut down to a 4" width), then hinged another piece so it would depress the TIG pedal. The long bottom piece is about 18" and the top piece is about 12". Works much better now. Pedal doesn't slip and I actually have more control over the variation in power. Build would also work on similar variable power pedals with similar configuration.

I used aluminum because that's what I had on hand. You can use anything including plywood for this. Just make sure the top plate that you set your foot on is rigid enough not to flex when you depress it. Also, my original pedal had some ridges on it. I suggest that you do your build, set the original pedal on it with the top plate about half-way on the pedal. Then depress it fully. This will cause the pedal unit to move slightly as the top footplate finds its position between two ridges. Mark your pedal location and screw it to the bottom plate.

Good luck!
    TIG Pedal Modification-img_3998.jpg

TIG Pedal Modification-img_4003.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to krisnanj For This Useful Post:

olderdan (Nov 20, 2017), Seedtick (Nov 20, 2017), tonyfoale (Nov 20, 2017), Tuomas (Nov 20, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,836 Times in 507 Posts

Tuomas's Tools
    That's a great improvement. I have pedal for mig at work. I reach much longer when i don't need to reach to press button on the torch.

Simple but good improvement.

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    Thanked 2,643 Times in 708 Posts

tonyfoale's Tools

Drill switch

I use foot switches on my drill presses. It is much more convenient and safer as well. If the drill catches and the work starts spinning it is much easier to lift a foot and run, rather than hang around reaching for the ON/OFF switch with a damaged hand.

The switch on one of the drills was not nice to use because of its angle to my foot and often I would inadvertently release the switch. A foot control where it all moves with your foot is much better to control. I already had the switch mounted on a bit of scrap steel plate to add some weight to hold it steady so all I had to do was to weld a door hinge to the plate and screw the other side to some old plywood. To add a finishing touch I glued a rubber sheet to the wood. The rubber was cut from an inner tube. I love it now.

TIG Pedal Modification-foot-switch-01.jpg TIG Pedal Modification-foot-switch-02.jpg

On the left is the detail of the hinge fixing, on the right is the operational side.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tonyfoale For This Useful Post:

Moby Duck (Nov 21, 2017), olderdan (Nov 20, 2017)

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Gadgeteer's Tools
    Krisnanj: So you're a re-engineer, too. Nice improvement.

Thanks

Responsible's Tools
    I use one of these pedals for the shop vac I use in the shops. It's nice not to have to listen to the vacuum running unless it's actually being used. Or worrying about accidentally sucking up that small part you just made.......

Pete

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts

Thanks krisnanj! We've added your TIG Pedal Modification to our Welding category,
    as well as to your builder page: krisnanj's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts

Thanks tonyfoale! We've added your Drill Press Foot Switch Modification to our Drilling and Drill Presses category,
    as well as to your builder page: tonyfoale's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    I have a deadman footswitch on my drillpress. And I know I'm going to cop some flack for this, but mine has been rewired so that it is on/off for the drill motor. There is still a main isolator switch on the drill, and when its on the work light is on, so I know the power is on. I do a lot of "quick to hand drilling" which usually involves holding the work down with 1 hand, while operating the quill with the other. I can quickly and easily position the work piece and when ready, depress the foot pedal to power the motor up. Lift my foot and the motor stops.

Cheers Phil

Thanks
    Thanked 2,643 Times in 708 Posts

tonyfoale's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by 12bolts View Post
    I have a deadman footswitch on my drillpress. And I know I'm going to cop some flack for this,
    Cheers Phil
    Not from me.
    BTW mine is wired like yours but without the light.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,538 Times in 466 Posts

olderdan's Tools
    It is a very good idea to have a foot switch on a pillar drill and I cant believe I have not yet fitted one but I will now. Like most of us I will sometimes freehand drill a small part and its the only time I will use a thick leather glove which makes it awkward to use the drill switch. Foot switches are cheap enough and I will see if I copy your mod. Thanks for reminding me to do the sensible thing.

Thread Information