Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Tig Welding Cart from a Hospital Cart.

Thanks

MadTrapper's Tools

Tig Welding Cart from a Hospital Cart.

This is the finished re-purposing of a hospital medical cart that I bought surplus for $30. Material costs were kept to a minimum by using bed frame angle iron and 1 x 4' length of 1 1/4" box section for the bottle holder. Total material cost $20.

The position of the extending knuckle dictated that the bottle be in front of the cart for C of G purposes. The vertical adjustment allows precise set up and control from the front of the machine.

Rod storage was by reaming out a 3/4" conduit joint and clipping these to the cart with conduit clips so i can still see the rod specs. The maneuverability of this is awesome.

Tig Welding Cart from a Hospital Cart.-rodstorage.jpgTig Welding Cart from a Hospital Cart.-weldercart.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts

Thanks MadTrapper! We've added your Welding Cart to our Welding Carts category,
    as well as to your builder page: MadTrapper's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Supporting Member
    Thanks

skibo's Tools

Welding cart by MadTrapper

Quote Originally Posted by MadTrapper View Post
    This is the finished re-purposing of a hospital medical cart that I bought surplus for $30. Material costs were kept to a minimum by using bed frame angle iron and 1 x 4' length of 1 1/4" box section for the bottle holder. Total material cost $20.

The position of the extending knuckle dictated that the bottle be in front of the cart for C of G purposes. The vertical adjustment allows precise set up and control from the front of the machine.

Rod storage was by reaming out a 3/4" conduit joint and clipping these to the cart with conduit clips so i can still see the rod specs. The maneuverability of this is awesome.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RodStorage.jpg 
Views:	317 
Size:	359.6 KB 
ID:	16589Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WelderCart.jpg 
Views:	432 
Size:	351.8 KB 
ID:	16590
    I like your conversion from a Hospital cart to something useful for your shop, but those rear wheels are looking a little stressed, it looks as though some sturdier wheels would be a better choice! I do like the way your rod supply and selection worked out, that way you can read the factory supplied labels, better than hunting and scrounging through a forest of rods to choose from.
    skibo

4. The Following User Says Thank You to skibo For This Useful Post:

MadTrapper (Mar 13, 2017)

Thanks

MadTrapper's Tools
    Those wheels are set at an angle and actually are not under much stress. They are set like that to allow a tight turning radius They have solid tires and are spoked hard plastic with ball bearings pressed in. The forward swivel castors are lockable. I should have posted better photographs.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information