Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Tired of your tiny drill press table? Well watch this!

Thanks

DIYTheArtofWood's Tools

Tired of your tiny drill press table? Well watch this!

I still don’t know why tool manufacturers make drill press tables so small. But that’s ok I have a solution, click the link below to learn how to build your own functional drill press table with built in fence, dust collection port and t track hold down clamps. If you like this video, take a minute to click around my YouTube channel. I have lots of great projects and repair ideas with plenty more to come, so consider subscribing and ring the blue notification bell bell so you don’t miss any new videos.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts

Thanks DIYTheArtofWood! We've added your Drill Press Table to our Drilling and Drill Presses category,
    as well as to your builder page: DIYTheArtofWood's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Supporting Member
    Thanks

wizard69's Tools
    Be sure to bolt that machine to the floor. Most drill presses are extremely top heavy to begin with, so making it easier to upset the machines balance can lead to unwanted surprises.

Your post has had me thinking over the past couple of days why no body has developed a drill press with X&Y axis. Seems like a simpler solution than the cantilevered approach of a radial ARM drill.

Thanks

DIYTheArtofWood's Tools
    Thanks for the feedback. That location for the drill press is temporary, I’m in the process, albeit slowly, of building out that shop, so I didn’t want to poke holes in the concrete until I pick a final destination for the drill press and all the other stationary tools. Maybe a little dangerous but I live on the edge sometimes. For your drill press with the XY axis, get to work on that one and share your design on here! There’s your million dollar idea right there.

Supporting Member
    Thanks

wizard69's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by DIYTheArtofWood View Post
    Thanks for the feedback. That location for the drill press is temporary, I’m in the process, albeit slowly, of building out that shop, so I didn’t want to poke holes in the concrete until I pick a final destination for the drill press and all the other stationary tools. Maybe a little dangerous but I live on the edge sometimes. For your drill press with the XY axis, get to work on that one and share your design on here! There’s your million dollar idea right there.
    Understand 100% as my shop /cellar is in a constant state of flux as I insulate, try to fix plumbing and otherwise do everything but fun work. Frankly the only tool that really bothers me roll over safety wise is the drill press. I had to disassemble my current one to get it into the cellar and it was a lot of work to get it upright and put the head on. That was some time ago and being a bit older I don’t think I’d want to do it alone again, all the weight is in the wrong place.

Thanks

DIYTheArtofWood's Tools
    You’re 100% right. They are way too top heavy. And you are really causing me to pause a moment and think that I need to address this sooner than later. Either pick a final spot and anchor it down, or not worry about a couple holes in the concrete and anchor it down where it sits even if it will be moved again in the not too distant future.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,981 Times in 1,893 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post
    Be sure to bolt that machine to the floor. Most drill presses are extremely top heavy to begin with, so making it easier to upset the machines balance can lead to unwanted surprises.

Your post has had me thinking over the past couple of days why no body has developed a drill press with X&Y axis. Seems like a simpler solution than the cantilevered approach of a radial ARM drill.
    Yes, there were and are drill presses with an X-Y coordinate movement. It's called a Bridgeport......
    JK, I use one too. But such drill presses were called layout drills; Cleereman and Fosdick made all the few I've encountered.

Most upright machines are top heavy, round column drills likely worst of all. But I wouldn't feel need to anchor per se. I'd bolt existing base to a secondary foot plate, or outriggers. Won't tip but still 'mobile', maybe relocatable is more accurate.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by Toolmaker51; Dec 23, 2018 at 12:37 PM.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thread Information