Free 173 Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Become a founding member: 500+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 37 of 37 FirstFirst ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37

Thread: Took the first step towards building my shop

Los Gatos, California, USA & Goryachy Klyuch, Krasnodar Krai, Russia
    Thanks

jdurand's Tools
    At our new place they only ran the tubing for the fiber out of the building and left a coil of it there. Of course now when the fiber was to go in the telcom guys said...that has to be run out past the property line before we'll touch it. Of course we've already had all the top fill brought in and tamped. Love contractors planning ahead.

So, friends got out and had to dig a trench without disturbing the trees we now have planted and budding out.

I'd show a picture but I had an error* last night and wiped a folder on our web server. It's now restoring ever so slowly from backups. Eventually everything will be back there, hopefully by tomorrow.

* note to self, if you tell it to remove a folder that is locked, it removes the last folder you were in instead. :O

173 Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thanks
    Thanked 5,173 Times in 2,490 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    My not having to buy nearly 250ft of bury conduit in 10 or 20 ft lengths then glue them together was huge.
    the orange poly drop line is just a tad thicker than sch 80 cpvc and has a silicone inner liner so that makes pulling cable through it much easier.
    The thing that I liked most other than being free was standard sch 80 CPVC conduit fittings will work on it, But for the connections I needed to make in the tranch I used regular plumbing 1 1/4" compression couplings because glueing the drop line to the CPVC couplings would be dodgy at best
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use http://kbs.justoldtrucks.com/

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

baja (Mar 10, 2021), Crusty (Mar 7, 2021), mwmkravchenko (Mar 7, 2021)

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Today I was thinking about some large drill jigs that I want to make in order that all of the various drilled parts will always be the same on the up coming project that i am involved in.
    In thinking about the jigs I kept coming back to the problem of trying to drill large heavy parts on a floor standing drill press that only has a 20" square table
    So I decided to un tarp and haul my 6 drill back into the shop since it has a 7 foot long table it will be the perfect solution for these heavy jigs and parts It has a cord and 3 hp 20 amp plug on it already and is wired for the same voltage my rotary phase converter puts out so hopefully all I need to do after leveling it up is to add a bit of conduit a disconnect and receptacle problem solved I hope LOL
    Took the first step towards building my shop-20210409_182204sd.jpg

Took the first step towards building my shop-20210409_182559sd.jpg

Took the first step towards building my shop-20210409_184850sd.jpg

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

mwmkravchenko (Apr 10, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,119 Times in 1,302 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Gang drills - box jigs - fixtures. Tooled correctly, still a tough combination to out-run in limited production. Before CNC, those 'limits' were FAR higher.
    Set ups make all the difference. Advantage is short distance between spindles compared with auto tool change. Another factor is 'Design for Manufacturing', minimization of blind holes, various tap sizes, orientation of features, left and right hand parts, creation of burrs. . . I'd recommend utilizing the flood coolant, too.
    Yes there is effort, physical movement but not strenuous.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Toolmaker51 For This Useful Post:

mwmkravchenko (Apr 10, 2021)

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Toolmaker51 View Post
    Gang drills - box jigs - fixtures. Tooled correctly, still a tough combination to out-run in limited production. Before CNC, those 'limits' were FAR higher.
    Set ups make all the difference. Advantage is short distance between spindles compared with auto tool change. Another factor is 'Design for Manufacturing', minimization of blind holes, various tap sizes, orientation of features, left and right hand parts, creation of burrs. . . I'd recommend utilizing the flood coolant, too.
    Yes there is effort, physical movement but not strenuous.
    Agreed on all counts.
    actually it is hard for a CNC to compete with well thought out jigs and fixtures on some things. Even CNC must be loaded and unloaded with parts If said parts are merely through holes all of the same diameter then a radial drill drilling a stack of parts clamped in a jig with drill bushings using flood coolant will out preform a CNC almost every time, that and there is zero chance of the holes not all matching or aligning up, unlike a CNC which may be subjected to power fluctuations due to several large induction machines switching on or off unless the CNC has its own on board UPS.
    I had a CNC punch press that had 30 mounted punches and 4 orbital stations go into search mode after a power outage even though it was on a UPS it screwed up right in the middle of a complex punching task ruining a couple dozen parts being processed on an expensive sheet of specialty metal

173 Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information