Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 13 of 41 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ... LastLast

Thread: Took the first step towards building my shop

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Moving a few small things around so I can start getting ready for the south slope of the roof
    things like a couple dozen scaffold frames
    Took the first step towards building my shop-wp_20191226_17_13_43_richccc.jpg
    the truck and trailer are the only things that were not here to be moved in the picture
    Especially the A frame
    Took the first step towards building my shop-wp_20200102_16_53_42_richccc.jpg
    This is the way it looked at noon
    Took the first step towards building my shop-wp_20200121_12_13_39_proccc.jpg
    My wife calls what I mostly use as an anvil Thor's hammer can't imagine why
    Took the first step towards building my shop-wp_20200121_12_14_03_proop.jpg
    2 of our dogs trying to protect the tent canvas they were upset when we took it down
    Took the first step towards building my shop-wp_20200120_15_18_56_richccc.jpg
    the spreader bar cam in handy for lifting the tires and rims up on the trailer bed
    took 6 at a time in 2 picks
    Took the first step towards building my shop-wp_20200123_15_06_48_proccc.jpg
    new temporary resting place for the trailer
    Took the first step towards building my shop-wp_20200123_17_37_15_progh.jpg
    my moving dollies
    Took the first step towards building my shop-wp_20200123_17_38_50_progh.jpg
    Only the axle group and some small bits left in the way
    Took the first step towards building my shop-wp_20200123_17_39_11_progh.jpg
    It was getting close to sun down when the wife and I called it a day then went and cut a small load of wood before dark

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks

metric_taper's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    Only the axle group and some small bits left in the way
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20200123_17_39_11_Progh.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	251.0 KB 
ID:	33256
    Looks like you got a workout today moving stuff. Should be interesting to see the other side go up.

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by metric_taper View Post
    Looks like you got a workout today moving stuff. Should be interesting to see the other side go up.
    Yep I earned my bologna sandwich LOL
    tomorrow is going to be a wash out though I have to finish up the getting my Masda back on the road after doing a rebuild on the engine getting it back in the truck and firing it up I let it run for a couple hours the other day so want to change the oil & filter put the hood on and call it done. So I can drop the transmission pan on my 93 F350 to see if the problem that developed today is just the internal link has come lose or if I'm going to have to pull it and replace the forward clutch pack It is a 4L0D which means it would almost be cheaper to locate a flywheel clutch & housing and a peddle tower and drop in the Mack quadraplex that I have than to overhaul the automatic if it happens to be fried But I have been threatening to do just that for nearly 6 years now.
    I also have a 92 F250 I need to take and get inspected and tagged and a 98 Dodge D2500 that belongs to a guy who had the transmission rebuilt but the transmission shop damaged the front seal when they installed it so I need to drop the trans replace the seal pull the torque converter put it on the tranny and re install it like trans mission shop should have done in the first place, instead of trying to stab the trans on the converter while it was mounted to the engine which will cut the seal 9 out of 10 times

Thanks

jdurand's Tools
    I was starting to make progress on cleaning up here, got to get everything not being packed sold, given away, or trashed.

until

My wife said she needed my help with the special cake she was making, it looks like it's made of bricks. It's for a sort of cook book that she's working on. I gave her some tinned steel to make separators for the cake pan...what now?

She said "I've got all the ingredients, I'll give them to you as you need."

oh

I'm making the cake. Can't I just have it and eat it too?

The looks aren't quite what she was going for, took some pictures and she'll think about revision 2. Anyway, tastes good, but then anything chocolate does.

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Everything cleared away , bus scaffold in place and the remaining purlin staged for lifting
    Took the first step towards building my shop-wp_20200123_17_37_15_progh.jpg

Took the first step towards building my shop-wp_20200123_17_37_26_proccc.jpg

Took the first step towards building my shop-wp_20200125_16_26_53_progp.jpg

Took the first step towards building my shop-wp_20200125_16_54_11_progp.jpg

Took the first step towards building my shop-wp_20200125_17_12_12_progp.jpg

Took the first step towards building my shop-wp_20200126_13_59_16_progh.jpg

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    staged and the coupling sleeves welded on the first batch to be raised

Took the first step towards building my shop-wp_20200126_14_17_14_progh.jpg

Took the first step towards building my shop-wp_20200126_16_18_23_progh.jpg

Thanks

metric_taper's Tools
    Looks like you got the next week planned out.

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by metric_taper View Post
    Looks like you got the next week planned out.
    Well I got the Masda engine back together and the little truck going so that was one project out of the way.
    I have the tilt steering column in a 91 F250 scattered in a hundred pieces waiting parts to rebuild that.
    I have the steering cylinder from my friends Prevost RV torn down waiting parts for that
    And to top it off in moving the equipment trailer I put my old 93 F350 in a pretty hard pull and stacked the friction rings in the forward clutch pack so now it only had forward gears and even tries to move forward in neutral Reverse and park so going to have to pull that and rebuild the e4OD transmission. I've done enough of those transmissions to know exactly what parts are going to be needed before I pull it I might drive the Dodge 2500 under the covered area and go ahead and drop that transmission and install the front seal just to get it off of the list.
    But before I do any of these if the weather and winds are even half way favorable I'm going to install some purlin tomorrow I hope.
    added note with the masda this now makes the entire running gear having been rebuilt by me the diff, the tranny, u joints, new clutch and slave cylinder 4 new tires new shocks new brakes on the front the front bumper and a tow bar set up. tie rod ends and new battery so the only thing left mechanical that I have not done to it would be the ball joints and they are in good shape As I did an alignment on it when I did the tie rod ends.
    the little truck should be good for another 200K now except it may need a muffler soon.
    Last edited by Frank S; Jan 26, 2020 at 09:10 PM.

Thanks

Crusty's Tools
    That Mazda saga reminds me of my old axe - I've replaced the handle three times and the head once. It's been too useful to just retire it.
    If you can't make it precise make it adjustable.

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Crusty View Post
    That Mazda saga reminds me of my old axe - I've replaced the handle three times and the head once. It's been too useful to just retire it.
    I had an axe like that.
    The masda saga all started with my bud making a nuisance bid on an auction so low we thought it would be impossible to win. When he went to pick it up after winning the bid just for giggles and grins he tried to start it, it started but the starter didn't disengage and burned out the Bendix the little truck was straight body wise with still good paint and the interior was surprisingly like new inside. So he drove it up on the trailer and headed straight to see about getting it safety inspected and the starter replaced. after replacement of the starter and a couple emissions sensors it passed inspection He drove it around a few days and noticed the diff had a sound in it and the clutch felt weak so He brought it to me mainly because we wanted a little chase vehicle and one that could be towed behind an RV or a truck for a mode of transportation after delivery or to drive to pick up a truck. the rest so they say is history.
    But my rebuilding the engine was because it overheated on me on my way back from inspecting the Prevost RV another friend was buying I could have gotten away with merely replacing a head gasket but with 220,000 miles I decided to pull the engine and go through it instead. it really didn't need the new rod and mains bearings the cam bearings the timing chain or new pistons wrist pins and rings but it got them anyway. I didn't bore it because there was less than 0.003" taper to any of the bores might as well still been a new block the same with not turning the crank as there was no appreciable or even noticeable wear to the old bearings I even saved the old bearings in case we wind up with another engine that just needs a patch job which is something that I would almost never do except for a stationary engine used on a pump or piece of aging equipment, that wouldn't justify the cost of a proper rebuild.
    My dad would have done this in a Texas second but not me, he would have split a frog's hair 4 ways if it saved fifty cents, I draw the line on splitting frog's hairs to 3 ways
    Last edited by Frank S; Jan 27, 2020 at 09:26 AM.

Thread Information