Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 30 of 41 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 LastLast

Thread: Took the first step towards building my shop

Thanks

metric_taper's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    Worked some on the stairway today
    the landings and treads are in place. I ran out of 2x12s so for now the top 4 steps are 3 2x4s each
    Now I have to get the walls and railings up so no one can miss step and fall
    Watch out for the building code police.......Oh, I forget, you're in the free state of Texas.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by metric_taper View Post
    Watch out for the building code police.......Oh, I forget, you're in the free state of Texas.
    Texas has its share of liberals and NIMBYs I assure you. Fortunately I live far enough away from any city that if enough nukes were dropped to wipe out every city larger than 50,000 in the state the fall out might not even reach my place. Not that I am advocating for anything but Texas could loose 25 million of its population and the rest of the world might never realize they are gone since only 3.8 million do anything productive anyway.

2000 Tool Plans
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Most of the day spent removing my not so temporary, temporary welds gouging with carbon arc and oxy/act to finally get all of them removed.
    A long time ago a guy said he would trust one of my tack welds to hold 2 sections of a bridge together I hope he was kidding but after having to cut out some 50 or 60 welds ranging up to 4 inches long I need to re visit my method of making a temporary weld.
    However they are all removed now and I did manage to begin the lift in preparation for separating the box from the trailer chassis
    Took the first step towards building my shop-20201016_173200tw.jpg
    It takes a lot of blocks I bet I have to use a 1/4 of my cribbing blocks on this task alone
    Took the first step towards building my shop-20201016_180833tw.jpg

Took the first step towards building my shop-20201016_181234tw.jpg

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    "Temporary" here doesn't mean less important, as Frank S proves daily, and fact we get treated to each next post. It's what makes progress occur, dependability.
    So in applause of tenacious welds; whatever their purpose.
    It's bad economy spending rod or wire on poor welds, which are rotten insurance.
    1'll bet he'd agree this preserves materials for re-use too, lacking groves of I beam trees. IYKWIM
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Toolmaker51 View Post
    "Temporary" here doesn't mean less important, as Frank S proves daily, and fact we get treated to each next post. It's what makes progress occur, dependability.
    So in applause of tenacious welds; whatever their purpose.
    It's bad economy spending rod or wire on poor welds, which are rotten insurance.
    1'll bet he'd agree this preserves materials for re-use too, lacking groves of I beam trees. IYKWIM
    And so far there is no indication of an iron ore deposit on my property so setting up a foundry and making my own beams is probably not feasible

Thanks

Toolmaker51's Tools
    And so far there is no indication of an iron ore deposit on my property so setting up a foundry and making my own beams is probably not feasible
    That's what we used to call a "Be the first on your block, to be last on your block" situation.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51

Thanks

metric_taper's Tools
    Texas has its share of liberals and NIMBYs I assure you. Fortunately I live far enough away from any city that if enough nukes were dropped to wipe out every city larger than 50,000 in the state the fall out might not even reach my place. Not that I am advocating for anything but Texas could loose 25 million of its population and the rest of the world might never realize they are gone since only 3.8 million do anything productive anyway.
    I don't think building code enforcement is a liberal issue, it is from developers and construction trades bribing government with "campaign donations", to force DIY'ers to hire out work, as well the tax assessor arm wanting more property tax. All this is independent of political ideologies, and more into the power of county, city, state, federal elected clowns building up overgrown government. They want you and I to pay for their grave stone epitaph.
    That's how I see it working. Smart people do not run for elected office, they run their own business, as you can't make intelligent decisions arguing with idiots, and you don't do that with left or right ideologies, but with risk aversion management to maximize ROI. So we are left with morons that want to win a popularity contest, with a big ego. And then they take the bribes and continue inept government operations.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to metric_taper For This Useful Post:

Frank S (Oct 17, 2020), Toolmaker51 (Oct 17, 2020)

Thanks

Toolmaker51's Tools
    re post #297 , by metric_taper.
    It's correct, that assessment on legislating building codes and politics in general.
    The true codes, I think are works of art; such as NEC, NPC, NBC, NFPA, and certain local adaptations like Los Angeles County electrical or New York fire. The idea experts produce these, assure regards to public safety, material specifications, how they are built, and connection to infrastructure. All's well (broadly speaking) in government, until politics enter.
    A good example is a neighboring city. Police and fire departments country-wide think 25% ratio of private homes versus rentals is the maximum density for managing safety. It's parking, utilities, schools, traffic, trash collection, fire control and so on, legitimate benefits of incorporated cities; big (major) factors in property value.
    ---------However----------
    Property developers make w-a-y more per square foot on rent, especially big apartment structures and office leases, than single family homes. So, aforementioned city's council of five members are and have been real estate agents, ongoing for decades. What rent/ own density prevails there? 40? No. 50%, No. It's over 70!

Some few politicians have their head on straight, until coerced by lobbyists and lawyers, which ALL represent special interests. Those "Special Interests" is just polite description for agendas of conniving schemers.
    Save those few politicians, the crowd are in politics, drawing sophisticated version of welfare because they won't get or hold a real job.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    As TM 51 sated in post 298 there is nothing wrong with true codes originally developed by professional trades persons in their respective fields. They shared their knowledge of their life long experiences for what worked and what might work and what wouldn't work. this is also true throughout the vastly spread out disciplines in the fields of engineering.
    Back when I used to install electro hydraulic equipment all over the USA and in many other countries as well Do you think that my being a registered and accepted contractor in my home state was sufeincent for many other places like LA county in CA or King county in WA or in the 5 dens of iniquity of NYC? plus many others? not on your life. In La county for instance not only did I have to have a contractor's permit with the state of California. no problem since I did work all over the state anyway. but I had to obtain at a minimum of a "B" electrician's license. OK you say that is nothing but a few tests and if you can pass a test in one state you can pass the test in another. This is not necessarily true even for a licensed practicing in your home state "EE" in some cases. and if you are not an "EE" there are several more hoops to jump through. But any out of state contractor can obtain their permit with enough time effort and money spent. The way I found to be the easiest was to hire a licensed electrical contractor from LA county each time I had an install to do there eventually he was instrumental in helping me obtain my "B" then we only needed to bother him to be present for the final inspections.
    the NYC BSA and MEA folks were more interested in the machines themselves and GOD forbid you had wrapped a colored wire with green tape if it wasn't green underneath even if the wire was wrapped in green for its entire length.
    Here in my shop if the books states that a 14AWG wire meets national standards I have 12AWG if say a 1/2" conduit can be 70% filled with conductors I have 3/4" and a 30% fill or less. This leaves me with plenty of space to add additional circuits later on should the need arise.
    The building may look like a hodge-podge of assorted recycled scrap materials "Which it Is" but it will still be standing long after many other buildings have been torn down.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (Oct 17, 2020)

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Fully up on blocks with the beam in place now I have to remove the chassis which still could be a chore
    Took the first step towards building my shop-20201017_122807tw.jpg

Took the first step towards building my shop-20201017_122920tw.jpg

Took the first step towards building my shop-20201017_124127tw.jpg
    Last edited by Frank S; Oct 17, 2020 at 07:34 PM.

Thread Information