Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: TOOK A PIECE OF PIPE AND A STEEL CORNER!!! and here's what happened

Thanks

fox craft's Tools

TOOK A PIECE OF PIPE AND A STEEL CORNER!!! and here's what happened

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to fox craft For This Useful Post:

asterix (Jun 28, 2021), Jon (Jun 25, 2021), rlm98253 (Jun 21, 2021), Toolmaker51 (Jun 21, 2021), Tule (Jun 28, 2021)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts

Thanks fox craft! We've added your Jack Stand to our Stands and Dollies category,
    as well as to your builder page: fox craft's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    Thanked 2,980 Times in 1,893 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Nice jackstand.
    I'd make one recommendation; add a hole 90° to original, but half distance of spacing in the stand itself. This doubles increments of adjustments. Not every jack & auto and work surface combination sets an ideal height.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Toolmaker51 For This Useful Post:

chevy3755 (Oct 1, 2022)

Supporting Member
    Thanks

wizard69's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Toolmaker51 View Post
    Nice jackstand.
    I'd make one recommendation; add a hole 90° to original, but half distance of spacing in the stand itself. This doubles increments of adjustments. Not every jack & auto and work surface combination sets an ideal height.
    I'd also add gussets. Given that back in the day, in shop class (remember those) the shop teacher got some steel tubing either donated or bargain basement and had a bunch of guys make up their very own jack stand sets that closely resembled what was offered up in this video. The only real difference is round tubing of slightly heavier wall thickness. I can imagine some of those young farmers still have those jack stands in their tool sheds.

Thanks
    Once known as axle stands. Need to used circumspectly on modern vehicles
    as the angle iron on the top is usually too deep to accommodate the
    reinforced jacking point flange on the body sill. The two top ends of the angle
    bear on parts of the floor & sill, not designed for point loading...
    The one weld base is not duplicated commercially, for good reasons.

Thanks

WmRMeyers's Tools
    I had a set of jack stands in late 1975 (first ones I owned) that were made of somewhat thinner tubing that that shown in the video. They were split 4 ways, and bent out, with bars welded across the gaps at the bottom of the split. I had to jack up my new-to-me 1963 Impala SS to work on the drive shaft. Was working in the yard, not on a slab, so had 12x12 pieces of 3/4" plywood under the jack stands. I'm under there pulling the U-joint loose, when I hear a low 'creeeeeeee' sound, and look at the the front passenger side jack stand. The leg closest to me is slowly folding up against the curve of the pipe. I wiggle out, and just as I get clear, the jack stand collapses completely, and drops the car on the space I was just in. A couple of seconds earlier, and it would have landed on my head. I junked those jack stands that day. Also, I never every worked on a car on soft ground after that.

These stands look a lot sturdier, but I'd still want angle-iron braces from each of the corners to the central pipe welded in. It would be fine as is if nothing ever bumps the car, or you don't have to work on it in the wind. And NEVER use a hydraulic jack as a jack stand, as he did for the front axle, while you're rotating tires. Jack stand can't do you any good if you don't use it. You need one under each corner you're lifting. And even then they can fall off the stands. I generally put the spare tire under the axle I'm working on so the bottom of the vehicle doesn't hit the ground. Makes it really hard to get the thing jacked back up.

Not saying I'm smarter than others. Just that I survived being stupid a few times. Or more.

Bill

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WmRMeyers For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (Jun 23, 2021), Tule (Jun 28, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,980 Times in 1,893 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    I bet 80%+ of incidents where jackstands are used, are neither bedded on each foot and/ or bearing perpendicular from load to surface.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thread Information