Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Tool length sensor for milling machine

Supporting Member
    Thanks

markgyver's Tools

Tool length sensor for milling machine

Hello
    here you see how i build my new tool length sensor.I already had a 3d printed one that was very accurate but the problem was that the chips all stuck to the plastic and also got into the sensor because of the way it was constructed.The new sensor had an outer sleeve made of aluminum, a steel pressure plate and a 3d printed probe holder.I use an opic limit switch for detection.The construction has a retractable cable so that the sensor can also be used to find the z zero point.Also integrated into the holder is an air tube that blows away the chips if necessary.The construction is very simple. When the cutter presses on the pressure plate, the taper of the pressure plate moves into the optical sensor and triggers it. When the plate is released, a spring returns everything to its original state. First you will see how I mill and turn the Parts, then the assembly, then a repeatability test, how the offset is set and a tool change.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by markgyver; Mar 14, 2021 at 10:32 AM.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to markgyver For This Useful Post:

Home-PC (Mar 15, 2021), Javierhm (Mar 22, 2021), Jon (Mar 17, 2021), nova_robotics (Mar 15, 2021), Tonyg (Mar 22, 2021)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts

Thanks markgyver! We've added your Milling Machine Tool Length Sensor to our Measuring and Marking category,
    as well as to your builder page: markgyver's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Thread Information