Free 173 Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 500+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Trailer ramp cable lift - video

  1. #1
    Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Jon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Colorado, USA
    Posts
    22,305
    Thanks
    6,940
    Thanked 33,066 Times in 9,228 Posts

    Trailer ramp cable lift - video

    Trailer ramp cable lift. By Kevin Robinson. 8:33 video:


    173 Best Homemade Tools eBook

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

    KustomsbyKent (Jan 26, 2022)

  3. #2
    Supporting Member Frank S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Peacock TX
    Posts
    8,473
    Thanks
    1,139
    Thanked 6,862 Times in 3,269 Posts

    Frank S's Tools
    Using the winch to raise the ramps is good but if he would cut off that extra hog iron off the backs of the ramp's chances are the springs would offer enough assistance to be able to raise them by hand.
    I also didn't see any evidence of there ever having been a single chain to secure the load on the trailer.
    I was given a Kubota KH 190 excavator because the guy's driver didn't bother to chain the machine down.
    He said I'm only going a half mile when I asked him about chaining it down. The old gentleman who owned it is a close personal friend of mine, who I have been welding and repairing his equipment since 1980. Gave me the excavator after it fell off the trailer and broke the final drive on 1 side. He said I deserved to have it to cut up for scrap or do anything I wanted to with it because in his mind it was too old and wore out to be worth repairing. He had also given me my Ford 750 Backhoe and my schramm pneumatractor
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

  4. #3
    Supporting Member WmRMeyers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    545
    Thanks
    119
    Thanked 219 Times in 149 Posts

    WmRMeyers's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    Using the winch to raise the ramps is good but if he would cut off that extra hog iron off the backs of the ramp's chances are the springs would offer enough assistance to be able to raise them by hand.
    I also didn't see any evidence of there ever having been a single chain to secure the load on the trailer.
    I was given a Kubota KH 190 excavator because the guy's driver didn't bother to chain the machine down.
    He said I'm only going a half mile when I asked him about chaining it down. The old gentleman who owned it is a close personal friend of mine, who I have been welding and repairing his equipment since 1980. Gave me the excavator after it fell off the trailer and broke the final drive on 1 side. He said I deserved to have it to cut up for scrap or do anything I wanted to with it because in his mind it was too old and wore out to be worth repairing. He had also given me my Ford 750 Backhoe and my schramm pneumatractor
    Somehow I think we're going to be seeing repair videos coming up.

  5. #4
    Supporting Member Frank S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Peacock TX
    Posts
    8,473
    Thanks
    1,139
    Thanked 6,862 Times in 3,269 Posts

    Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by WmRMeyers View Post
    Somehow I think we're going to be seeing repair videos coming up.
    Only if Steven Spielberg gets bored. For almost everything I do it requires both hands and tripods don't move around on their own.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

  6. #5
    Supporting Member WmRMeyers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    545
    Thanks
    119
    Thanked 219 Times in 149 Posts

    WmRMeyers's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    Only if Steven Spielberg gets bored. For almost everything I do it requires both hands and tripods don't move around on their own.
    Well, there is that, but you don't deny that you plan on fixing it, right? You could get a Go-Pro or similar camera and wear it on your cap...

    Probably not worth your effort, though.

    Bill

  7. #6
    Supporting Member Frank S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Peacock TX
    Posts
    8,473
    Thanks
    1,139
    Thanked 6,862 Times in 3,269 Posts

    Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by WmRMeyers View Post
    Well, there is that, but you don't deny that you plan on fixing it, right? You could get a Go-Pro or similar camera and wear it on your cap...

    Probably not worth your effort, though.

    Bill
    A couple months ago I decided it had been sitting out in front of the shop for long enough. say it has been there about 5 years now long before the shop was started.
    On of the first things I did after I got my 22,000 lb forklift home was to pick up the excavator and carry it into the shop and put it on blocks, with the busted drive side facing out have easy access. I have repaired the leak in the hydraulic tank and bought a new suction hose for it. Hard to believe an 18" long piece of molded hose could cost $400,00 but that is Kubota for you
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

  8. #7
    Supporting Member WmRMeyers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    545
    Thanks
    119
    Thanked 219 Times in 149 Posts

    WmRMeyers's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    A couple months ago I decided it had been sitting out in front of the shop for long enough. say it has been there about 5 years now long before the shop was started.
    On of the first things I did after I got my 22,000 lb forklift home was to pick up the excavator and carry it into the shop and put it on blocks, with the busted drive side facing out have easy access. I have repaired the leak in the hydraulic tank and bought a new suction hose for it. Hard to believe an 18" long piece of molded hose could cost $400,00 but that is Kubota for you
    Hmmm. Here in OKC we have a place that can make just about any hose you need. Midwest Hose. I couldn't swear it wouldn't be at least $400, but they made some for my former employer that were a about a quarter of that. They weren't hard lines, so that might make a difference.

    I still can't understand how a guy could just decide that a half-mile wasn't a long enough distance to tie something that heavy down. Would have been a serious problem to him if it fell off the trailer and onto someone else's car, for example.

  9. #8
    Supporting Member Frank S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Peacock TX
    Posts
    8,473
    Thanks
    1,139
    Thanked 6,862 Times in 3,269 Posts

    Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by WmRMeyers View Post
    Hmmm. Here in OKC we have a place that can make just about any hose you need. Midwest Hose. I couldn't swear it wouldn't be at least $400, but they made some for my former employer that were a about a quarter of that. They weren't hard lines, so that might make a difference.

    I still can't understand how a guy could just decide that a half-mile wasn't a long enough distance to tie something that heavy down. Would have been a serious problem to him if it fell off the trailer and onto someone else's car, for example.
    The hose has 90mm ID on 1 end and 85mm on the other 1 90 bend and 1 15 bend 3 layers of nylon braid then had to be warmed in boiling water for 20 minutes to be able to push the ends over the nipples then clamped on. I came very close to just making a steel tube then using short pieces of hose for the connections but with the limited access to the area without having to pull the engine it was cheaper to just buy the hose and be done with it the clamps were $35.00 each
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

  10. #9
    Supporting Member WmRMeyers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    545
    Thanks
    119
    Thanked 219 Times in 149 Posts

    WmRMeyers's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    The hose has 90mm ID on 1 end and 85mm on the other 1 90 bend and 1 15 bend 3 layers of nylon braid then had to be warmed in boiling water for 20 minutes to be able to push the ends over the nipples then clamped on. I came very close to just making a steel tube then using short pieces of hose for the connections but with the limited access to the area without having to pull the engine it was cheaper to just buy the hose and be done with it the clamps were $35.00 each
    Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and reach for the wallet. I hate it when that happens, but sometimes it's also a great deal cheaper in the long run.

    Bill

  11. #10
    Supporting Member Toolmaker51's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Midwest USA
    Posts
    4,220
    Thanks
    6,178
    Thanked 2,543 Times in 1,599 Posts

    Toolmaker51's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    A couple months ago I decided it had been sitting out in front of the shop for long enough. say it has been there about 5 years now long before the shop was started.
    On of the first things I did after I got my 22,000 lb forklift home was to pick up the excavator and carry it into the shop and put it on blocks, with the busted drive side facing out have easy access. I have repaired the leak in the hydraulic tank and bought a new suction hose for it. Hard to believe an 18" long piece of molded hose could cost $400,00 but that is Kubota for you
    Harder yet believing wiring harness for WALTCO Twin Pump Rail Lift Gate totaled nearly $600.00. Build my own? Well, for whatever reason there is a backlog of compatible Weather Pack connectors, doubling the rework needed. And push button switch covers? Only the short ones, ok for SPST, not momentary (longer projection and travel).

    The block and supply chain issues affect production for individuals & some companies; meanwhile rate of people attaining millionaire status is more rapid than ever. Hmmm,
    Last edited by Toolmaker51; Jan 30, 2022 at 06:27 PM.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •