Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Trailer ramps

Thanks
    Thanked 8,787 Times in 4,206 Posts

Frank S's Tools

Trailer ramps

We needed ramps for the trailer i built a while back but given the requirement for them to need to be 10 feet long
    I didn't want to build a pair that would require Martin Licis to lift and move them.
    It would be a bit uncomfortable but I can carry both of them at the same time
    Trailer ramps-20210424_173556ramp.jpg
    For the test they were placed on 8x8 blocks with 4x4's as safety blocks in the event they would not have been strong enough for the weight of the pickup. First the 4x4 was placed in the center allowing only about 1/2" deflection then moved further to allow 1 1/2 to 2" deflection
    With the weight of the front of the 2021 F250 super duty parked in the center there is 1 inch of deflection
    Trailer ramps-20210425_130715ramp.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

baja (Apr 27, 2021), Jon (Apr 30, 2021), nova_robotics (Apr 26, 2021), Scotsman Hosie (Apr 27, 2021), Toolmaker51 (Apr 26, 2021)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts

Thanks Frank S! We've added your Trailer Ramps to our Trailers and Towing category,
    as well as to your builder page: Frank S's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    Thanked 2,981 Times in 1,893 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    And I'm positive that particular F250 SD bumpers occupy two different ZIP Codes........it would be interesting to record full wet bias of weight front to rear?
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Nice pictures, but without more information, what’s the point?

Thanks

Toolmaker51's Tools
    I've stood on that floor....a good solid surface. But just occurred to me, is the ramp length being 'shortened' (in deflection test) with more than normal footprint? If that was asphalt, the span will certainly increase...
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    No the ramp s were tested at full length the blocks placed with in the span were there to serve as crush safeties in the event the weight of the SD F250 had proved to be more than they could handle within the amount of deflection I was willing to accept.
    6061T1 extruded aluminum has an amazing spring back memory as long as it is not stressed beyond its yield point. The planking manufacture has a chart graph that shows they allow up to 1.75" deflection in 8 feet with a concentrated load of 653LBs per 12" width, this would mean without our side rails only 1306 lbs could be supported on a 96" span, their chart stops at 96" span where as we have 120" span. The side rails I designed for our project are an upside down TFJ design. We own the dies and I have the only 2500 feet of this railing in existence. I had it calculated that the railing if properly fixed to prevent it from rolling over that it could support 1000lbs in 6 feet with only 0.5" deflection with a maximum allowable deflection in 6 feet to be 1 inch or 0.166" deflection per foot length. since the ramps are 120" long with 4 rails and 2 ft width of planking and we needed to be able to have a 3600 lb load at center point and knowing that 2" would be the maximum allowed deflection on the planking and our rails this was the reasons for placing the safety blocks under the ramps there to insure the deflection could not exceed the design parameters I am more than satisfied with a 1" total deflection this means our ramps should be capable of an additional 50% load without the need for safety blocks placed under them to shorten the span

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

mlcohen987 (May 10, 2021), Toolmaker51 (May 3, 2021)

Thanks

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Kinda positive those considerations were made; at same time, not unsure soil altered effective length.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Toolmaker51 View Post
    Kinda positive those considerations were made; at same time, not unsure soil altered effective length.
    Never the less he is going to carry a pair of 4x4 blocks with him because once the lift is mounted and should he decide to haul his pickup with a full to capacity load on the lift then I want the effective span of the ramps to be reduced to 7 feet or less. It is one thing to have a 1 inch deflection in 10 feet @3600lbs quite another to add an additional 3 K with the weight of the rear of the truck plus load

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (May 3, 2021)

Thread Information