Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Truck loading boulder falls off cliff - GIF

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,247 Times in 9,724 Posts

Truck loading boulder falls off cliff - GIF

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Altair For This Useful Post:

nova_robotics (Dec 11, 2021), Rangi (Dec 7, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    That looks like A HIAB crane, and it was either old or poorly maintained. There are 2 cylinders and a leaf chain that makes it rotate while 1 cylinder is pressurized to pull the crane while the other is pressurized to prevent overswing. The truck must have been set up with the outrigger holding the loading side Higher than other side allowing for the load to become over centered the other swing cylinder should have prevented it from having a sudden accelerated swing which it did not prevent. maybe there was internal leakage in the poppet valve or the seals on the cylinders leaking.
    The operator may or may not have been able to prevent this by suddenly momentarily reversing the swing arresting the movement of the load. He might have even tried but experienced a delayed signal activation from his remote.
    Whatever the cause someone had a really bad day.

2000 Tool Plans
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

Altair (Dec 5, 2021), KustomsbyKent (Dec 7, 2021), mwmkravchenko (Dec 8, 2021), Rangi (Dec 7, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,446 Times in 820 Posts

hemmjo's Tools
    Yeah, that is not going to polish out...

Thanks

NeiljohnUK's Tools
    Radio remotes are not always as 'secure' as they should be, high jacking them isn't unknown.

Thanks

mlochala's Tools
    There's just something weirdly unnatural about the motion of that video. I'm assuming the truck was thrown off the cliff by the high rate of speed at which that fully loaded crane was swinging around.

Thanks
    Something broke, you can see the operator stand at the left edge of the screen and his hand movements show he was trying unsuccessfully to reverse the boom movement. But once the thing had the momentum there was no stopping it.

Thanks
    maybe they should change back to a wired remote control with say 100ft of wire,,,no radio interference then...and cheaper too, no radio transmitter or reciever..

Thanks
    Thanked 1,446 Times in 820 Posts

hemmjo's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by madokie View Post
    maybe they should change back to a wired remote control with say 100ft of wire,,,no radio interference then...and cheaper too, no radio transmitter or reciever..
    I am not sure what the specifications would be for a remote control cable, so I did a quick search for 100ft of SOOW cable. 18 ga, 12 conductor cable shows a cost of over $300 dollars. In my head I am counting no less than 10 functions on that controller, there are probably more. You my need larger cable for the voltage drop at 100ft.

I realize you would not need the 600v capability of SOOW cable, but you will need a tough jacket on the wire, even then, just one unfortunate contact with one of those big sharp rocks will stop your operations.

You can get a good 10 function remote controller for between $200- $400.

Truck loading boulder falls off cliff - GIF-screen-shot-2021-12-08-4.13.47-am.png

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by hemmjo View Post
    I am not sure what the specifications would be for a remote control cable, so I did a quick search for 100ft of SOOW cable. 18 ga, 12 conductor cable shows a cost of over $300 dollars. In my head I am counting no less than 10 functions on that controller, there are probably more. You my need larger cable for the voltage drop at 100ft.

I realize you would not need the 600v capability of SOOW cable, but you will need a tough jacket on the wire, even then, just one unfortunate contact with one of those big sharp rocks will stop your operations.

You can get a good 10 function remote controller for between $200- $400.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-12-08 at 4.13.47 AM.png 
Views:	71 
Size:	412.7 KB 
ID:	41187
    2to400 is a lot cheaper than the proprietary remote and transmitter we had to have made for a project I'm working on

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thread Information