Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Tube notcher for round angle iron and square material

Supporting Member thehomeengineer's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,069 Times in 407 Posts

thehomeengineer's Tools

Tube notcher for round, angle and square material

Hi All
    This is a tube notching jig I made about 7 years ago based on the Notchmaster Hole Saw Tube Notcher, but at £350 plus pounds at the time I decided to make one. I also wanted to be able to notch square stock tube,angle iron as well as round tube.

Initially I made it to make a go-kart for my son to notch the tubes for the chassis.

Tube notcher for round angle iron and square material-go-kart.jpg

Since this project, a friend borrowed it to make a roll-cage for his mini and it has supported other projects I have been involved with.

Today I have used the notcher again as I am helping a friend build a petrol yard brush for leave clearing and I am building the chassis for it.
    Below are some photos of the notcher.

Notching round tube
    Tube notcher for round angle iron and square material-complete-jig.jpg Tube notcher for round angle iron and square material-notched-tube2.jpg Tube notcher for round angle iron and square material-notched-tube.jpg

Front and rear view of jig
    Tube notcher for round angle iron and square material-rear-view-.jpg Tube notcher for round angle iron and square material-front.jpg

Tubes ready for welding
    Tube notcher for round angle iron and square material-notchtube-ready-welding.jpg

Square tube and angle iron attachment. Also adapator nut on the end of hole saw shaft to accept larger hole saws
    Tube notcher for round angle iron and square material-adaptor-place.jpg Tube notcher for round angle iron and square material-square-tube-adaptor.jpg

Thank you for viewing
    The Home Engineer

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by thehomeengineer; Apr 13, 2018 at 04:13 AM.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to thehomeengineer For This Useful Post:

bruce.desertrat (Apr 13, 2018), Jon (Apr 13, 2018), LMMasterMariner (Apr 14, 2018), PJs (Apr 14, 2018), rossbotics (Apr 13, 2018), Seedtick (Apr 14, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,645 Times in 402 Posts

rossbotics's Tools
    Looks like it works great,

2000 Tool Plans
    Comments are always welcome
    Doug

Subscribe to my you tube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDD..._as=subscriber

Tool Plans for Sale by rossbotics

4. The Following User Says Thank You to rossbotics For This Useful Post:

thehomeengineer (Apr 14, 2018)

Supporting Member bruce.desertrat's Avatar
    Thanks

bruce.desertrat's Tools
    Looks nice. Is it adjustable to make compound angles?

Also those are some gigunda caps on those controller boards back there!

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts

Thanks thehomeengineer! We've added your Tube Notcher to our Tube Notchers category,
    as well as to your builder page: thehomeengineer's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

Supporting Member thehomeengineer's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,069 Times in 407 Posts

thehomeengineer's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by bruce.desertrat View Post
    Looks nice. Is it adjustable to make compound angles?

Also those are some gigunda caps on those controller boards back there!
    Hi bruce.desertrat
    The cutting tool can be rotated to notch at angles, In the photo showing the "Square tube and angle iron attachment" there is a large hexagon headed dowel bolt and a knurled pin which can be seen below the cutting shaft.
    The knurled pin can be positioned in are a series of holes at known angles that have been drilled in the base plate. First the dowel pin bolt is loosened and the knurled pin removed. The cutting tool assembly pivots about the dowel bolt. The knurled pin is then located and pushed down into the desired hole/angle and the dowel bolt retightened. (these are spaced at 15-degree pitch). If an angle is required that has not got a positive position for the knurled pin, I set with a protractor and just lock the cutting tool assembly with the dowel bolt.
    As I drilled a series of M12 threads in the base upright the work piece can also be set at an angle by bolting a fixture like the square tube attachment at the desired angle. The tool cutting assembly can also be raised and lowered to align the cutting tool.
    Hope this has answered your question

The capacitors are work related from a blown up power supply which they scraped and I am just saving bits I can use on my own projects

Thank you again for your interest
    The Home Engineer

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information