Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Two Crucible Pouring Shanks

Thanks

Carlos B's Tools

Two Crucible Pouring Shanks

When I set up my little foundry last summer I built these 2 pouring shanks.The first one is made from an oversized set of fireplace tongs that I had picked up cheap for this purpose. It is designed to hold a #8 clay graphite crucible just snug not tight. the cross piece on the pouring lip was welded on as an after thought to assist in skimming the crud in an iron melt.

Two Crucible Pouring Shanks-1.jpg

Two Crucible Pouring Shanks-2.jpg

Two Crucible Pouring Shanks-3.jpg

Two Crucible Pouring Shanks-4.jpg

Two Crucible Pouring Shanks-5.jpg

The second shank is for pouring a 5 lb capacity steel crucible for aluminum melts.

Two Crucible Pouring Shanks-6.jpg

Two Crucible Pouring Shanks-7.jpg

Two Crucible Pouring Shanks-8.jpg

In use for a good number of melts now, they have both performed very well.

Seems to be some interest in casting here I will upload my molding bench and some casting photos in a later thread.

Carlos

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by Carlos B; May 22, 2017 at 12:38 PM.
    From a popular rap: "If time is money then I need a loan."
    Carlos B,http://hobbyworkshopprojects.blogspot.com

2. The Following 22 Users Say Thank You to Carlos B For This Useful Post:

Andyt (Aug 12, 2022), billster (Mar 16, 2017), Carnel (Mar 21, 2020), ChasT (Aug 11, 2022), clydeman (Nov 10, 2022), cogentia (Dec 26, 2021), dubbby (Mar 20, 2020), greyhoundollie (Mar 21, 2020), hemmjo (Aug 12, 2022), Home-PC (Dec 24, 2021), johncg (Dec 25, 2021), mr95gst (Mar 14, 2017), mwmkravchenko (Mar 20, 2020), neilbourjaily (Mar 20, 2020), Paul Jones (Mar 16, 2017), Ralphxyz (Dec 24, 2021), rossbotics (Mar 14, 2017), thehomeengineer (Feb 6, 2018), Toolmaker51 (Mar 18, 2017), trevor_60_r (Nov 11, 2022), VegeKev (Feb 5, 2018), WmRMeyers (Aug 11, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,639 Times in 402 Posts

rossbotics's Tools
    That's Kool Carlos, I have been a tool and die maker for 43 years but I never done any casting, maybe I should give it a shot
    Nice Work

2000 Tool Plans
    Comments are always welcome
    Doug

Subscribe to my you tube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDD..._as=subscriber

Tool Plans for Sale by rossbotics

4. The Following User Says Thank You to rossbotics For This Useful Post:

Carlos B (Mar 14, 2017)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks Carlos B! We've added your Crucible Pouring Shank to our Forging and Casting category,
    as well as to your builder page: Carlos B's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

6. The Following User Says Thank You to DIYer For This Useful Post:

billster (Mar 16, 2017)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks Carlos B! We've added your Steel Crucible Shank to our Forging and Casting category,
    as well as to your builder page: Carlos B's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DIYer For This Useful Post:

billster (Mar 16, 2017), Carlos B (Mar 15, 2017), ChasT (Aug 11, 2022), greyhoundollie (Mar 21, 2020), HobieDave (Mar 21, 2020)

Thanks
    Thank you Carlos for sharing your Steel Crucible Shank. I was looking for an idea to fire charcoal for my Weber and this will work 100%.
    Jan.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JanKrompan For This Useful Post:

Carlos B (Mar 15, 2017), greyhoundollie (Mar 21, 2020)

kbs

Thanks
    Love the tools, would like a link to your foundry build, or plans for it if available.
    Thank You Ken S.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to kbs For This Useful Post:

greyhoundollie (Mar 21, 2020)

Thanks

Carlos B's Tools
    No plans Ken. I am old school, I research my plans then play with ideas in my sketch book till I have something I like, then take the sketch book into the shop. Problems in the design are dealt with as they arise.As mentioned before the D. Gingery series of books and sites like Lionel Olivers "Backyard Metalcasting.com" are very good sources of information on hobby casting, equipment construction and foundry setup. I have collected tools and salvaged assemblies and materials for close to 50 years, when I build a project I use what I have on hand. This does not convert well to formal plans as sourcing parts would be a problem.

Here are links to a 3 part PDF of my build on MadModder. Warning starts to get nasty at the end when my casting and testing started, No body likes to see someone else succeed where they have failed.

Moved links to Dual Fuel Melting Furnace.

Carlos
    Last edited by Carlos B; Mar 17, 2017 at 09:21 PM. Reason: moving links to Dual Fuel Furnace Build

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Carlos B For This Useful Post:

C-Bag (Mar 16, 2017), greyhoundollie (Mar 21, 2020), Paul Jones (Mar 18, 2017), Toolmaker51 (Mar 18, 2017)

Thanks

C-Bag's Tools
    "No body likes to see someone else succeed where they have failed."

Really? That sux. That's NOT what my impression of this place is. We are all so grateful somebody took the time to take pix, share and explain what they have done. Even better when they answer questions.

The only time I remember any disparaging remarks was when something didn't look safe or when someone decided this site was just folks showing off or mad about no free plans. I guess it is the Internet, but I for one appreciate your sharing this stuff here rather than doing a search.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to C-Bag For This Useful Post:

greyhoundollie (Mar 21, 2020), Paul Jones (Mar 18, 2017)

Thanks

Carlos B's Tools
    Don't get me wrong C-Bag, when I said "no body" I didn't mean "everybody" but occasionally you do run into a character who would rather put a project down that is going as planned than to just leave it alone. Kind of turned me off active builds preferring to upload when I'm done. I'm new here so I have no opinion but your viewpoint sounds encouraging.

Cheers CB

Thanks

C-Bag's Tools
    Oh, I know all about those characters and have left a couple of sites because of them. If you look there's a tools in progress sub forum that seems mostly about getting advice then dissaperaring. But there are a couple of guys like Rendoman and FrankS. who let us in on their builds and it's like hanging out in the shop with them. Sometimes there's asking for opinions and sometimes help, but very little kibitzing, just questions. I say very little because I've not seen it, but it could happen. The guys with all the bling under their names are very respectful and encouraging so that rubs off on rest of the crew. Mostly the digital tide of lurkers don't have much to say so some time it can seem kinda quiet. But guys like yourself who want to participate and will answer questions are a great addition.

I find the hardest part of any new endeavor is the terminology. I NEVER would know those things were called shanks! Makes it hard to research when you don't know the term. I'll bet googling "grabber" never would have worked

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to C-Bag For This Useful Post:

Carlos B (Mar 16, 2017), ChasT (Aug 11, 2022), Paul Jones (Mar 18, 2017)

Thread Information