Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Two-way can crusher - GIF

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,267 Times in 9,726 Posts

Two-way can crusher - GIF

Two-way can crusher.

Previously:

Mini steam traction engine can crusher
    Car cube crusher - GIF
    Concrete pillar crusher - GIF

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Altair For This Useful Post:

baja (Feb 2, 2020), Rangi (Feb 25, 2021), Scotsman Hosie (Feb 2, 2020), Seedtick (Feb 1, 2020)

Thanks
    Pity that the can feed gate mechanism isn’t shown in its entirety

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    My can crusher is only one way, but runs right at 45 strokes a minute. It was dirt cheap too. I used some pipe out of the scrap pile, tuned a wood piston and added a cast iron cap, and drive it with the old pump jack from my Grandmothers Red Jacket well pump. I never built a chute or feed mechanism, just feed it by hand. I used it for several years and I still have all my fingers.

Thanks
    Here in my state the recycling place won't accept cans crushed like that which is really annoying as that machine is cjool

Thanks

jdurand's Tools
    Power that by a bicycle, and hook a piercer tap. Put in full cans, run hose from piercer tap to mouth...start peddling.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    We went to Connecticut last year and stopped at a store bought a canned drink the clerk charged me 10 cents deposit for the can.
    When I inquired about it he said it was so the cans could be recycled. I said OH, well then I might as well recycle it I opened the can and slammed the contents then crushed the can and handed t back to him. My dime please!
    OH no, he said we don't buy them back here you must take them to a recycling center but you cant take that can the machine wont accept it after it has been crushed. the cans must be without dents in them or they will not fit in the recycling machine.
    So if I understand what you are telling me is that I buy a canned drink empty it then have to carry it around and somehow not allow it to be dented or I don't get my dime back. Id that what you are saying?
    Yes.
    OK fine, and I hucked in in the garbage bin as I walked out I thought their system sucked
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks
    We can take dented cans but not squashed top to bottom

Thanks
    If I buy from across the river in Iowa, I have to save the cans undented, and take them on a 40 mile one way trip to find a 'recycler'.
    It's easier to toss them in the garbage at the local HyVee gas station, so the crackheads can dig them out for pocket change.

Thanks
    Here in South Australia it's not that bad. I have woolbails and wait till they full. I am only about 8km from depo

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Here in Texas you crush them up as small as you can get them pack them in a garbage bag and haul them to a metal recycler you get paid the daily market price for the grade of aluminum they are. not a return on some artificially imposed deposit that the machine will reject if it has an out of state bar code. In my opinion states which use the deposit return system are nothing more than a way to covertly charge another tax as they know full well that probably less than 10% of the cans will ever be returned for deposit the rest are going to be either tossed in a rubbish bin or sold by actual weight at market price. I don't' accumulate very many cans so the ones I have get smelted into something I can make something out of.
    My thing is I have probably amassed over 250 lbs of 2 ltr drink bottles over the years and need to make a grinder to granulate them either for selling as granules or melting them down into a slab or block so I can make something out of them
    Last edited by Frank S; May 18, 2020 at 09:41 AM.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thread Information