Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: U-shaped Clamp plate for Rollcage with Press forming tooling

Supporting Member KustomsbyKent's Avatar
    Thanks

KustomsbyKent's Tools

U-shaped Clamp plate for Rollcage with Press forming tooling

U-shaped Clamp plate for Rollcage with Press forming tooling-snapshot-1-5-4-2017-5-50-pm-.png
    Here is a youtube video I created to show the process of press forming a U-shaped plate that clamps 2 pieces of rollcage tubing together perpendicular to each other. There are 2 plates per connection. 20 ton press, and some scrap steel to make the tooling.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KustomsbyKent For This Useful Post:

bobs409 (May 6, 2017), Jon (Dec 5, 2019), NortonDommi (May 8, 2017)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks KustomsbyKent! We've added your Clamp Plate Forming Tool to our Brakes and Presses category,
    as well as to your builder page: KustomsbyKent's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

4. The Following User Says Thank You to DIYer For This Useful Post:

KustomsbyKent (May 6, 2017)

Thanks

NortonDommi's Tools
    The making of the clamps is great but I have to say as someone who used to build 'rollcages' for a living there is no way I would like to be in anything that had a 'roll-cage' clamped together. I've seen even tabbed,(reinforced), welds show signs of tearing after a bad smash. The thought of tube sliding on tube and sharp edges is very, very scary.

Thanks

KustomsbyKent's Tools
    The plates will be welded to the tubes so that there will not be any sliding action. This is only on the back down bars to the secondary rear hoop and is there to protect the engine area. The front portion of the cage is welded solidly together. The top of the down bar is pinned to the main hoop with solid steel pins that insert into the tube. The solid steel pins are welded to the main hoop. The bottom of each down bar ends in 1/4" thick plates that are bolted to the 4"x4"x1/4" square tube frame. The rear roll hoop is bolted in 4 places to the engine cradle that is made of 1/4" plate steel.
    Also, this vehicle has a top speed of 7mph and is not competing in any competitions.

What would be your recommendations for designs for making this area removable? I'm open to suggestions.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to KustomsbyKent For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (May 9, 2017)

Thanks

NortonDommi's Tools
    Hello Kent,
    I did not know the exact use. Please accept my appologies for jumping the gun, I had a horrible vision of people assembling an entire roll -cage and clmping it together with loose clamps
    I would have suggested a slip fit onto a stub tube with a pin similar to what it sounds like you have done that would put the pin in double shear which a suitable size pin would handle with ease especialy if there was a tube welded in the stub for the pin. Replace the pin with a bolt and a nut welded externaly would work to.with a lock nut and wire as well of course. Givin the fact the rear bar needs to be removable and where the clamp is your solution is fine, the only other approuch would be square plates bolted together and placed between the tubes and each welded to the adjacent tube in line with the tube axis.
    Different strokes for different folks.
    I love your clamps by the way and I will be copying them for all sorts of things.
    Cheers,
    -Barry.

Thanks

KustomsbyKent's Tools
    Thanks Barry!
    It's good to have some other alternatives in the back pocket for future use.
    I've got solid steel pins on the frame where the main roll cage attaches, they are definitely a solid way to attach, but a bit heavy for all areas.

Thanks

NortonDommi's Tools
    Hello Kent,
    I managed to watch your entire video today,(froze last time),which is why I did not get to see all you had done, very impressive as was you site.
    I have a friend that collects Chyslers & Dodges and will tell him about your Plymouth.
    By the way are you going to sleeve the bolts between the clamps? A bit of 16g tube would be sufficient. Just a thought.
    Have a good one,
    - Barry.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NortonDommi For This Useful Post:

KustomsbyKent (May 9, 2017), Paul Jones (May 9, 2017)

Thanks

KustomsbyKent's Tools
    Hi Barry,
    Yes, I plan to add some sleeves to the bolts between the clamps, good to have that confirmed.
    Thanks for looking at everything in detail!
    Kent

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information