Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Unknown micrometer

Thanks
    The thumbscrew on the shoe allows you to set the depth anywhere along the rod that goes into it so you can zero it at any point. The large knurled screw is for course adjustment and the small one is a ratchet/light torque slip type adjuster so that when the tip touches it then turns without advancing anymore.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thanks
    I have sent the pic through to Lyle. I will post his reply when I receive it.

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Toolmaker51 View Post
    Marv and metric_taper have good justifications, especially what position the spindle tip is from the radius at zero. My question is the tip itself, is it flat (conventional), reduced diameter, or pointed?
    Another detail about the clamp-screws; appear to allow zero anywhere. That makes possibility recording difference (instead direct measurement), compared to a standard; or vice-versa of course.
    No doubt micrometer head is Shardlow, but foot was generated as specific tooling, in manner described post 4 by clavius. If was commercial, high likelihood to be finished satin chrome as the thimble and body.
    Hi ,
    The tip is flat and it does allow it to zero anywhere.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Tonyg For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (Apr 29, 2021)

Thanks
    Hi all,

Firstly, thank you all for your contributions - all of which are probably right. It has given me some extra ideas on what I might be able to use it for, although it may also just sit in the display cabinet in the workshop as a conversation piece.
    Secondly, I have received a reply from Lyle which I will paste below:

'Hi Tony. This is my best guess. All micrometer companies made what they called micrometer heads. These heads were sold to shops who needed special micrometers. They would then manufacture or machine an attachment that would fasten onto the micrometer head. Always for special purposes or for inspection, etc. you will probably never know exactly how this micrometer was used or what its purpose was. There would’ve been tens of thousands of variations throughout the world'

Kind regards to you all,

Tony.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonyg View Post
    Hi all,

Firstly, thank you all for your contributions - all of which are probably right. It has given me some extra ideas on what I might be able to use it for, although it may also just sit in the display cabinet in the workshop as a conversation piece.
    Secondly, I have received a reply from Lyle which I will paste below:

'Hi Tony. This is my best guess. All micrometer companies made what they called micrometer heads. These heads were sold to shops who needed special micrometers. They would then manufacture or machine an attachment that would fasten onto the micrometer head. Always for special purposes or for inspection, etc. you will probably never know exactly how this micrometer was used or what its purpose was. There would’ve been tens of thousands of variations throughout the world'

Kind regards to you all,

Tony.
    Indeed this is very true. Those micrometer heads are still available of course, all of the companies that make such tools offer then in many styles:

https://www.google.com/search?client...icrometer+head

Still very cool to have something like that from your dad. Such things are small treasures. I have any number of old tools that I ended up with from friends and relatives that are no longer with us. I think of them every time I use them, even if that use is infrequent. I read someplace that using a tool that was made for you or given to you by someone is to "shake their hand in friendship." I like that and find it to be so in a way.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to clavius For This Useful Post:

Tonyg (Apr 30, 2021), Toolmaker51 (Apr 30, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,981 Times in 1,893 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by clavius View Post
    .......snipped........I read someplace that using a tool that was made for you or given to you by someone is to "shake their hand in friendship." I like that and find it to be so in a way.
    Many relate to that. Family or friended tools, not surprising to sense a reaction to personal items, especially tools. Just reading his [clavius] post, I recall such occasions, though rarer, in property belonging to those you've no other connection at all.
    Might be from era a person identifies with; though a boomer, somehow circa WWII tools and machines 'find' me.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Toolmaker51 For This Useful Post:

Tonyg (Apr 30, 2021)

Thread Information