Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: V block swage/bolster

Supporting Member Philip Davies's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,022 Times in 343 Posts

Philip Davies's Tools

V block swage/bolster

One of the YouTube forging videos viewed recently, this by Torbjorn Ahman, featured a very nicely engineered V block, which he designed to refine a sharp right-angle bend. I don’t have the facilities he has, but it set me thinking how I would make it without eg a lathe, etc. So this is the result, rather crude, but hope will prove effective.

V block swage/bolster-48ef9243-a1ba-4101-a50b-9cb59df95f14.jpg

There are three ways of forging a sharp right angle ( only the external angle is sharp). One is to jump-up, or upset, ie thicken the corner.This is quite laborious. The other is to draw down the stock either side of the proposed bend to the finished thickness. This is Torbjorn’s method. This is even more laborious, unless you have a power hammer. The third way is to weld. And there may be other methods. I have only used the first method.

The wings of the block have been rounded, since the stock is forced down with a set hammer, or fuller, and without being relieved, would gall the face of the bar. Torbjorn’s design incorporates rotating semicircular discs.

Generally, a refined corner looks better than a round bend, but it’s a lot more work.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Philip Davies For This Useful Post:

Jon (Jan 14, 2020), Mr Mechanical (Jan 14, 2020), will52100 (Jan 15, 2020)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts

Thanks Philip Davies! We've added your V Block Swage to our Metalworking category,
    as well as to your builder page: Philip Davies's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Thread Information