Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Very powerful gearbox from wiper motor.

Thanks

manshands's Tools

Post Very powerful gearbox from wiper motor.

Very powerful gearbox, from wiper motor and gearbox angle grinder. Drawings are on all my videos.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to manshands For This Useful Post:

Andyt (Jun 23, 2020), Cascao (Jun 26, 2020), Duke_of_URL (Jun 23, 2020), Jon (Jun 23, 2020), mwmkravchenko (Jun 22, 2020), ockert (Jun 23, 2020), Paul Jones (Jun 24, 2020), Quinton 357 (Jun 22, 2020), sak778 (Jun 22, 2020), Scotsman Hosie (Jun 25, 2020), Sleykin (Jun 29, 2020), Toolmaker51 (Jun 26, 2020), trevor_60_r (Aug 9, 2020)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts

Thanks manshands! We've added your Scissor Jack Actuator to our Jacks and Lifts category,
    as well as to your builder page: manshands's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans
    Last edited by Jon; Jun 25, 2020 at 02:27 PM.

Thanks

Crusty's Tools
    The wiper motors that I've taken apart have no need for a shear pin to protect the connected equipment because the plastic gear in the wiper head protects any metal shear pin inline. Still, wiper motors deliver enough torque and are durable enough to be useful for projects and I have one powering the table power feed on my benchtop milling machine.

There are typically three brushes in the motor (common, high speed, low speed) and the common is connected to the housing which in turn connects to the negative power terminal, but if that brush is isolated from the housing then power can be applied between the low speed and the high speed brushes (in reversed polarity) and a third and fastest speed results. A 6 position, 3 gang rotary switch is then all that's required for 3 speeds in each direction. Not all wiper motors are created equal though so further investigation is required for a particular motor.
    If you can't make it precise make it adjustable.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Crusty For This Useful Post:

sak778 (Jun 22, 2020), Tooler2 (Jul 3, 2020), trevor_60_r (Aug 9, 2020)

Thanks

manshands's Tools
    This engine is from the "Great Wall Deer" car. I tried different contacts and wanted to find high and low speeds, but unfortunately I found only one speed. When connected to other contacts, the engine rotates at the same speed, but with stops at full revolution. I have two different engines and in both engines only one speed and rotation with a stop.

Thanks

DIYSwede's Tools
    Given the low rev when under load, the flimsy app. 5 m long 0.75 mm2 / AWG 18 cable acted as an efficient current limiter,
    against blowing the cigarette outlet's 20 A fuse, not even close of even stripping the plastic gear...
    Guess the motor just received some 8 VDC & the cable became luke-warm during that test too?

My personal favorite in this area is the KSV 5035:
    Very powerful gearbox from wiper motor.-ankarsrum-ksv-5035-datasheet.jpg

I've had one of these "600"-flavor mothers jam to a stop at 24 VDC & >20 A* in without shredding the Acetal 49:1 worm gear.
    They've ripped frozen, stuck windshield wiper blades and arms to shreds over here since the fifties in cars, trucks and buses.
    Wire feeder motors in industry grade ESAB and Kemppi welders since the seventies.

I salvage these from discarded heavy-duty office table pillars at work: +150 kg cast iron on the table: 2"/ sec raise w/o trouble at 18V in.
    Made for 100% duty, -20 C Nordic weather, works for decades and they'll take anything below 50 volts and just run.
    Haven't fried one yet, their magnets haven't even come close to their Curie points, and they take no prisoners without complaining.

Shortest possible length of 2,5 mm 2/AWG 14 minimum and big-amp DC supplies or SLA batteries in my builds too,
    just to get that "no bull" starting torque and as stable rpm/ volt independent of loading I can get.

Just my 2 cents & YMMV

Johan

* My clamp DC ammeter simply maxed out at 20A in that test.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DIYSwede For This Useful Post:

jdurand (Nov 22, 2020), Toolmaker51 (Jun 26, 2020), trevor_60_r (Aug 9, 2020)

Thanks

manshands's Tools
    Unfortunately, I found it in my workshop, only a cable of 0.75 mm2 / AWG 18. It was really long and heated up very much after lifting the machine. The wiper motor has also warmed up. Unfortunately, I did not measure the current consumption at load, the engine power is 20 watts.
    I tried to connect a wiper motor to the jack without a gearbox from the angle grinder - it does not work at all.
    I want to try to connect this design not to the cigarette lighter, but directly to the car battery and increase the wire cross-section.
    Thank you very much for recommending the KSV 5035 engine, I will try to find it and it will participate in my experiments.

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,792 Times in 11,326 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by manshands View Post
    This engine is from the "Great Wall Deer" car.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Wall_Deer

Thanks

DIYSwede's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by manshands View Post
    It was really long and heated up very much after lifting the machine.
    Unfortunately, I did not measure the current consumption at load, the engine power is 20 watts.
    Thank you very much for recommending the KSV 5035 engine, I will try to find it and it will participate in my experiments.
    Yup - short, coarse cable is the way to go if you want some work done at the motor end, rather than just a cable heater.

Is the wiper motor rated at only 20W? Are you sure? It should be at least 100W in continous duty -
    then it can be (temporarily!) be overloaded some 300% without ill effects.

I doubt you'll find any Ankarsrum geared motor over at your place -
    best and cheapest bet (as always!) is to go to a scrap yard
    and get any biggie 24 V wiper motor from a full-size truck or bus.
    Bring at least an ohm-meter for checking it, better still is a small 12 V SLA battery in your rucksack.

Good luck and keep up the good work!

Cheers

Johan

Thanks

manshands's Tools
    Yes, a motor with very little power. According to the manufacturer, 20 watts.
    The very meaning of the experiment was to use a low-power motor in combination with a angle grinder.
    Based on this gearbox, I’ll do the next project very soon. I will try to achieve a pulling force of at least 100 kg.
    Thank you very much for the advice, it will help me a lot in future projects.

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,792 Times in 11,326 Posts
    Congratulations manshands - your Scissor Jack Actuator is the Homemade Tool of the Week!

We've seen a lot of angle grinder tool builds, but this is a very clever solution!

Some more good builds from this week:

Weed Grubber by brianhw
    Grinding Rig by Claudio HG
    Sheetmetal Brake by rgsparber
    Welding Table by House_Work
    Cutting Tool by manshands
    Variable Hydraulic Puller by fawabros
    Water Bath Dust Collector by TigerCreek
    Rotisserie by manshands
    Fog Machine by Mr.DK DIY
    Dust Collector by Didpoolhall
    Propane Forge Burner by manshands
    Universal Tool Mount by manshands
    Angle Grinder Guide Modifications by olderdan
    Welding Clamp by Kwandotechnic
    Chipping Hammer by kess
    Micrometer Stand by ttmrj
    Bowl Lathe by th62
    Belt Grinder by manshands
    Drill Guide by Make Things

manshands - we've added your tool entry to our All Homemade Tool of the Week winners post. And, you'll now notice the wrench-on-pedestal award in the awards showcase in your postbit, visible beneath your username:

You'll be receiving a $25 online gift card, in your choice of Amazon, PayPal, or bitcoin. Please PM me your current email address and award choice and I'll get it sent over right away.

Nice work!

Thread Information