Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Vintage work crew photos

Supporting Member Hoosiersmoker's Avatar
    Thanks
    Looks like a good place for the guy that everyone on the crew hates (like the boss) to "accidentally" fall off at the highest point.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Hoosiersmoker For This Useful Post:

greyhoundollie (Jan 28, 2020)

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mlochala View Post
    I'd hate to ride that on a windy day. Can you imagine?
    As a young teenager I lived for a time in the Canary Islands. We visited the Volcano in the center of the island. While standing near the edge there was always a swirling wind blowing that would suck your cap off your head. I imagine the winds in the Kimberly Diamond Mine could be about the same.

Did you notice at the top right corner of the picture how the cables curve up toward the surface? This picture is taken near the bottom of the ride after the cables curve out more horizontally than the upper part of the ride. This picture is after the ride has slowed down. You know after the screaming has stopped!

2000 Tool Plans
    Last edited by greyhoundollie; Jan 28, 2020 at 07:00 AM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to greyhoundollie For This Useful Post:

Scotsman Hosie (Feb 1, 2020)

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,619 Times in 11,284 Posts
    Women delivering ice. 1918.

Fullsize image: https://s3-us-west-1.amazonaws.com/h...e_fullsize.jpg

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

Andyt (Jan 30, 2020), clydeman (Jan 30, 2020), Quinton 357 (Jan 30, 2020)

Thanks

IntheGroove's Tools
    I would bet that those ladies are just models...

Thanks
    just look at their shews.... and the fresh fold creases in their brand new clothes..... better ask for the girls dna,I think were being raped. or at least screwed with.
    Last edited by marksbug; Jan 30, 2020 at 12:36 PM.

Supporting Member Hoosiersmoker's Avatar
    Thanks
    MMMmmmm 1918 Ice Hotties!

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    While I can't exactly point to the exact item the girls are wearing etc, as a whole it looks staged to me. Shoes too shiny I think and fold creases in a new pair of store bought overalls etc. However I dont think that because this pic looks staged it didn't happen that women carried ice chunks of that size. I do feel that they could represent other women that actually did that work.

My grand parents had a frozen food locker at the Ice Plant in town 8 miles away. I remember in 1958 my grandmother swinging a huge chunk of ice over her shoulder with tongs when she picked it up. She loaded it up in the pickup and drove home to cook for tomorrows 30+ men in the thrashing crew. I think I will go out this spring and look around to see if I can find one of her set's of tongs around the estate.

I think I mentioned before that my grandmother had been a novice Nun before being called home to take care of her mother and twin sisters. Women were tougher then. ....... ESPECIALLY........ the NUNS!
    Last edited by greyhoundollie; Jan 30, 2020 at 03:31 PM.

Thanks

jdurand's Tools
    Cool!

Maybe they're the actual delivery people but they were warned to look nice for photo day.

Thanks

Rikk's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by greyhoundollie View Post
    While I can't exactly point to the exact item the girls are wearing etc, as a whole it looks staged to me. Shoes too shiny I think and fold creases in a new pair of store bought overalls etc. However I dont think that because this pic looks staged it didn't happen that women carried ice chunks of that size. I do feel that they could represent other women that actually did that work.

My grand parents had a frozen food locker at the Ice Plant in town 8 miles away. I remember in 1958 my grandmother swinging a huge chunk of ice over her shoulder with tongs when she picked it up. She loaded it up in the pickup and drove home to cook for tomorrows 30+ men in the thrashing crew. I think I will go out this spring and look around to see if I can find one of her set's of tongs around the estate.

I think I mentioned before that my grandmother had been a novice Nun before being called home to take care of her mother and twin sisters. Women were tougher then. ....... ESPECIALLY........ the NUNS!
    I'd bet your Grandmother had bigger arms then those two...

I'm 49 and I still have nightmares about nuns..

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    They appear to me to be younger young ladies quite possibly in their late teens and most probably the daughters of the ice-man. Possibly posing for the photo to be in an add for his ice business. If this were the case it could explain a few things their lack of muscular development in their arms the apparent newness of clothes and or shoes. Also note both have many similarities in their facial features the height difference could be explained as a couple years between their ages.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thread Information