Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 19 of 294 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 69 119 ... LastLast

Thread: Vintage work crew photos

Thanks

Beserkleyboy's Tools
    Jon
    Here is one of many photos taken of the Serra Palada gold mines in Brazil. It looks 'historical', as in old...but this is 1980. I first found one of these pics on the covers of Jerry Harrison's Casual Gods LP in '88. Harrison was a founding member of the Modern Lovers with Jonathan Richman, local faves on Beserkeley Records in the 70's...and on to Talking Heads in the 80's. The story of the gold mine is fascinating, and a revealing look into the 3rd world, human greed and exploitation...Cheers
    https://rarehistoricalphotos.com/hel...-pelada-1980s/Vintage work crew photos-sierra-pelada-mines-1980s-13-.jpg
    Jim in sunny south coast NSW

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Beserkleyboy For This Useful Post:

Harvey Melvin Richards (Nov 3, 2018), Jon (Oct 30, 2018), PJs (Oct 30, 2018), Toolmaker51 (Oct 29, 2018), volodar (Oct 30, 2018)

Jon
    Jon is offline Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,621 Times in 11,284 Posts
    Winchester barrel shop. 1912.

Fullsize image: https://s3-us-west-1.amazonaws.com/h...w_fullsize.jpg

2000 Tool Plans

4. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

Andyt (Nov 4, 2018), baja (Oct 31, 2018), Beserkleyboy (Oct 30, 2018), PJs (Oct 30, 2018), rossbotics (Oct 31, 2018), Seedtick (Oct 30, 2018), Toolmaker51 (Oct 30, 2018), volodar (Oct 31, 2018)

Thanks

Beserkleyboy's Tools
    WOW! There's a lotta line shafts happening there! Great pics...I bought a 26" Crescent bandsaw in about 1995 for $200, and it had a lineshaft pulley on the bottom wheel. Sadly, I had to take it off and get a pulley to connect to 3hp induction motor..Great machine, that one, alas gone now...
    Jim

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Beserkleyboy For This Useful Post:

PJs (Oct 31, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    At least 6 line shafts and who knows how many belts, really can't tell. Layout of floor appears some operators tend two lathes, notice the carriage handwheels. Seems like they are very close together, that seems odd. Look at center right of photo. Guy in a white shirt is peering through a barrel, likely a mere visual check, plenty of gauging later in the process. All that occurs before final straightening. In those days most barrels may have been straightened at least twice.

Straightening is an interesting process. The barrel man works a screw-driven press, the tube in vee-blocks, aimed at a window. In front of the glass, a thin wire suspends a weight, like a plumb-bob. Any discrepancy in straightness is visible where image of wire jogs, or looks broken. Drilling and turning interrupt integrity of the blank rod. Often the barrel is only curved, but other conditions occur. As barrel is rotated in the blocks, and high spot gets to 12 O'clock, then screw brought to bear on that position. The screw's wheel is styled like a ship's helm, with spokes radiating beyond rim, a little ways above operators head. The adjustments take little pressure to bend the tube about twice the deviation. Pressure relieved, change can be seen and re-applied need be.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Toolmaker51 For This Useful Post:

Beserkleyboy (Oct 30, 2018), PJs (Oct 31, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,380 Times in 2,117 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Toolmaker51 View Post
    At least 6 line shafts and who knows how many belts, really can't tell. Layout of floor appears some operators tend two lathes, notice the carriage handwheels. Seems like they are very close together, that seems odd
    Is it possible that those machines in the foreground are rifling machines and not boring lathes? They don't look like lathes to me.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mklotz For This Useful Post:

PJs (Oct 31, 2018), Toolmaker51 (Oct 30, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by mklotz View Post
    Is it possible that those machines in the foreground are rifling machines and not boring lathes? They don't look like lathes to me.
    I think, judging by the larger overhead sheaves on the right, those are rifling or chambering. There'd be at least four operations; 1] turn, 2] drill-ream-crown, 3] rifling, 4] chamber.
    Unsure if gun-drills [single straight flute, hole-riding body, pressurized cutting oil] had been developed yet. Of course the drill needs to be pushed. Good quality reaming is pulled, eliminating flex as an extended drill does. Those 'benches' could be similar.
    I don't see sine-bar or spiral guided rifling machines in view. By 1912, Pratt & Whitney might have been producing riflers, made zillions over the years.

And rifling is another art, many techniques practiced by as many manufacturers.
    In mass production, Colt could produce unbelievably fine barrels. A little more modern is Lothar Walther. In custom work, Harry Pope represents epitome in target barrels. And other fun discussions! People continue with handmade cut rifling heads, and custom shops sell broaching buttons on Ebay....
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Toolmaker51 For This Useful Post:

PJs (Oct 31, 2018)

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    I believe those machines are drilling and reaming. I don't think any rifling is going on in the picture, as rifling machines took up more space and could not have been located that close to one another. Interestingly enough, Colt performed a lot of their rifling vertically. I believe Mr. Root of Colt invented that procedure. (IE- the Colt Root).

14. The Following User Says Thank You to owen moore For This Useful Post:

PJs (Oct 31, 2018)

Thanks

ranald's Tools
    all very impressive. Imagine how these days, occupational health and safety would view all those exposed belts & cogs/gears.

Wonder if they did hex barrels like a winchester rifle I used to own?

PJs
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,118 Times in 718 Posts

PJs's Tools
    The machine at the far right may be a riffling machine as it goes off screen and has different controls as well as the belt on the opposite end. The others or boring and reaming ops, imho. Perhaps the guy on the far left is doing the crown work.

Love this picture and the workers seem happy and content...I would be despite any Osha Hazzard we might impose today. Those guys seem smart enough to stay out of the way of belts and such...had to be.
    ‘‘Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.’’
    Mark Twain

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    One thing is for sure there was not a spare foot of unused floor space.

It does look as though there are 2 machines per man. that would mean 4 barrels at a time per man whether they are boring reaming or crowning or riffling it really makes no difference that is a highly stressful situation done hour in hour out every working day. Then think about having to do the same thing all of the time.
    in the past I had often kept several of my machines running at the same time each with a different set up doing certain stages of what ever the run happened to be. and my wife almost always had 1 or 2 band saws going while running the radial drill-press but the differences there was we didn't have our machines almost stacked on top of each other and every run was different.
    Doing what those guys were doing would have driven me over the edge in 1 day.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thread Information