Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Vintage work crew photos

Supporting Member mwmkravchenko's Avatar
    Thanks
    I built a full scale wooden one of these with an other guy in the National Museum in Hull across the Ottawa River from .. Ottawa.

45 feet up is a little interesting when you are working on a inward sloping tower like this. So is cutting the top pieces by hand saw. We held onto each other. No fear of heights until we were sawing off the last pieces and it dawns on you that you got nothing to hold on to. I don't even know if it is still in there. That was in 1997.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mwmkravchenko For This Useful Post:

cmarlow (Apr 18, 2022), jimfols (Apr 19, 2022)

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    It is like system scaffolding. All of the tubes are precut and fit into manufactured couplings. The last thing you want is anybody doing "field modifications" because that would just mean the destruction of the set.

2000 Tool Plans

4. The Following User Says Thank You to cmarlow For This Useful Post:

mwmkravchenko (Apr 18, 2022)

Thanks
    hand me that saw this one is too short

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to marksbug For This Useful Post:

cmarlow (Apr 18, 2022), mwmkravchenko (Apr 18, 2022)

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,792 Times in 11,326 Posts
    Gorenflo Canning Company workers. Biloxi, Mississippi. March, 1911.

View of the Gorenflo Canning Co., Biloxi, Miss., taken at 7 A.M. Many tiny workers here, some of whom began to arrive at the factory as early as 5 o'clock, an hour before they were allowed to begin work, and long before daylight on a damp-foggy day. The whistle had blown and they came and stood around merely to hold their places. When the "catch" has been good, they begin work early, but today it was not good so they were waiting for daylight. In this group I ascertained the ages of a few, as follows, 1 child of 6 years, 1 of 7, 2 of 8, 1 of 10 and there were many more. See report also. Location: Biloxi, Mississippi.
    Fullsize image: https://s3-us-west-1.amazonaws.com/h...s_fullsize.jpg

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

jimfols (Apr 24, 2022), marksbug (Apr 24, 2022), nova_robotics (Apr 30, 2022)

Thanks
    I went through there last summer. mostly just gambling now. still some fishen/shrimpen boats, but nutten like it was back them . Can you imagine the stink in that place?? I see one black woman wearing a mask.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,980 Times in 1,893 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    I doubt masks of that period were any more effective withholding odor than current masks and one particular micro-organism.
    What has improved though, the sales pitch. Sufficiently thorough enough to convince some folks are now safe within their own car! But they'll stand 6' behind another imagining the same bubble? I've asked a few, 'Which one works?' More often than not, the deer-in-the-headlights expression is next.

I'll add this. Anytime a declaration this or that makes user 'Safe', I find instantly suspicious. "Safe" does not exist.
    "Safety" itself, not far behind.
    Only "Safer" has potential effect.
    Last edited by Toolmaker51; Apr 24, 2022 at 03:15 PM. Reason: distinct grammatical improvements, you can enjoy, free of charge!
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Today they won't even let kids have a paper route. So many successful businessmen (and women) got their start in business with a paper route learning to show up, get the route done in time, and, unfortunately, dealing with customers who don't pay readily. Now I can't get reliable paper delivery at all.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,449 Times in 822 Posts

hemmjo's Tools
    Note the kid in the foreground, at the near end of the table on the right. He sure has a big smile on his face!!!

Unfortunately, like blacksmiths and canneries, many newspapers are closing up shop. I remember when I was a little kid, back in the 50's, walking with my dad, by the blacksmith's shop in a tiny town where my great grandparents lived. They were "really old" like around 50!!!!! I have an anvil from my great grandpa's little barn in my shop.

As of 2019 about 20% of newspapers have closed up.
    Just like loosing blacksmiths, loosing newspapers is not a good thing. Now, even if we do have access to a newspaper, they still get their much of the news they prints from the internet.

Thanks
    our local newpaper moved about 80 miles away to another town,in other words they closed most of it and downsized the last time I saw one of those papers it was about 10 pages and aboyt 4 inches smaller. 15 years ago I buddy of mine with a automotive/machine shop got the job of reworking some of the machines so they could print on much thinner/cheeper paper.. I reckon it wasent thin enough so they moved...or out sorced.or sold out. I used to work on the owners 34' Scrab boat to make it and keep it faster than hos buddies( witch I also did). he was a great guy,he dies about 18 years back before all the downsizeing changes came into play in the printworks. I miss doing that kind of work. my mm once said they wanted more for thier online services than the printed paper....and the obits were only on line..how am I to know when I die?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,449 Times in 822 Posts

hemmjo's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by marksbug View Post
    snip.....how am I to know when I die?
    Either the "Fire and Brimstone" or the "Pearly Gates" will be your first clue.

Thread Information