Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 86 of 294 FirstFirst ... 36 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 136 186 ... LastLast

Thread: Vintage work crew photos

Thanks
    I dont know if armstrong ever set foot on the moon.if he did I really doubt it was the first time we were told it was. but i do agree we did get there.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,621 Times in 11,284 Posts
    Longer side discussions are perfectly acceptable, as long as they are placed in the Off Topic subforum. Honestly I can't even tell if you guys are joking about moon landing criticism.

Two-way postage stamp perforating machine at the Bureau of Engraving and Printing 1938. Washington, D.C.
    Hats for airborne dust?

Fullsize image: https://s3-us-west-1.amazonaws.com/h...w_fullsize.jpg

2000 Tool Plans

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

baja (Jul 19, 2019), Seedtick (Jul 18, 2019)

Thanks
    more like the basement duty hats for the dunces...yes I see the windows. just kidding.we all have jobs to do and THEY are ALL important jobs.

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thats what Im thinking
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Hats for airborne dust?
    Maybe the original disposable paper hat?

Thanks

MeJasonT's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Longer side discussions are perfectly acceptable, as long as they are placed in the Off Topic subforum. Honestly I can't even tell if you guys are joking about moon landing criticism.
    Hey Jon
    this going off topic thing - Off topic subform, what are you on about, never heard of it.
    Staying on topic of vintage photographs led to the criticism of the legitimacy of the log stack photos and how our forefathers did miraculous things in the name of progress. I mentioned how the younger generations are not going to be creative as previous generations as the concentration is now more broadly based on throw away software and technology - Take for example i posted a picture of a modern day pc it would simply look like any other but if i posted a picture of colossus it would indeed be a vintage photograph of notoriety. As it is the 50th Anniversary of the moon landing i mentioned the pure genius of sending man into space based on a Z80 zilog processor (in a round about way). Very much on topic of appreciating the the achievements of our forefathers/past generations.
    The moon landing images alone are a matter for discussion as to their accuracy, the very least a good way of winding up buzz who has a habit of beating up anyone who questions him on the legitimacy of the landings.

Come on get on topic and up to speed. lol
    Like ThisOldTony its only in my later years that i have discovered my Asperger's. My Tourette's usually kicks in when i get bored or people are talking crap, judging by the number of people that swear at me they must have it as well.
    Last edited by MeJasonT; Jul 19, 2019 at 03:53 AM.
    Citizen of the "New democratic" Republic of Britain, liberated from the EuroNation

The desolate ranch country of Northeastern corner of New Mexico, USA
    Thanks

IAMSatisfied's Tools
    FDR was president at the time... maybe it made everyone feel like dunces, and the hats are representative of the feeling? Those floral dresses though, they must have been all the rage!

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    You guys hadn't thought the paper hat thing through. Those stamp sheets have thousands of perforations to outline the stamps. each chad is less than a 1/16" diameter. During the coarse of a day millions if not billions of chads would be produced, this would be like glitter being attracted to static electricity. The hats would be a valuable part of their kit.
    Any one who has painted with metal flake or done popcorn ceilings knows all too well what happens
    The same thing about the floral dresses , to hide the chad swarth
    Last edited by Frank S; Jul 19, 2019 at 07:55 AM.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Supporting Member Hoosiersmoker's Avatar
    Thanks
    It appears to me this is a stamp rolling machine. The woman on the left is feeding sheets into the machine, they're slit into strips, the woman on the right is monitoring (as it says on the shut-off in front of her) and likely ejecting the rolls when complete. Frank S is right though. If you look on the floor right under the machine frame and the lower right hand corner it's just piles of chads. There seems to be a ghost at the machine too... there are two sets of legs in the left side of the image but there only seems to be one woman. . . Probably just another faked photo.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,446 Times in 820 Posts

hemmjo's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoosiersmoker View Post
    ... There seems to be a ghost at the machine too... there are two sets of legs in the left side of the image but there only seems to be one woman. . .
    I believe there are 4 women in the photo. 2 on the right and 2 on the left. The "phantom" legs belong to a woman that is hidden behind the woman in the foreground. When I first looked at the photo, I would have bet you were were only two women. Good thing I don't bet very often.

Thanks
    Swanee here, this is my first post so please advise if I'm off track in some way. I printed this photo this morning and took it to the president of our company. We are trying to be certain that it is a machine our company built and what model. The Company I work for had a virtual lock on equipment used to perforate sheets of US postal stamps and personal checks in that time period. Any further information on the photograph from your end would be appreciated and I will follow from my end with the results from our company. Thanks

Used the zoom function to see the badge on the machine that says "Crown Cork and Seal" not who I work for but a chance to challenge the boss
    Last edited by swanee; Jul 19, 2019 at 04:51 PM. Reason: further examination

Thread Information