Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 90 of 295 FirstFirst ... 40 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 140 190 ... LastLast

Thread: Vintage work crew photos

Thanks
    Thanked 2,980 Times in 1,893 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by MeJasonT View Post
    Poulterer, Stranraer, Scotland. Late 1800s. #886

The big thing around us at the present time is every farmer and wannabe landed gentry having a Pheasant shoot (sport).
    every Sunday during the season there shoot resembles this rack of birds, they go out and shoot hundreds of birds for the privilege of taking a brace home - 2 birds. All for the grand total of £2000 per shoot. That makes each of the two birds they are allowed to keep £1000 each. Would you guys pay that for a turkey on a turkey shoot. All the other birds are just dumped or left to rot. When you look at the UK's ban on fox hunting you get a fair idea why the public get pea-ed off with the wanabe Elite. There are four shoots within 10 miles of us, one is ran by my brother and nephew - pillocks.
    Here, turkey hunting has a large following. They are large wary birds yet have a small area for best shot placement. Some participants spend plenty on gear but they're mostly durable for few seasons. Besides the $25 some states get for a license, a handful of shells, army surplus camouflage and a couple hours leaning against a tree. . .After deer, turkey is second most popular game [#1 deer] in most regions. They are widespread.

Seems MeJasonT also is describing driven hunts, where stops and beaters force game toward a line of shooters. He's right, that ain't hunting. Hunting is when your dog sees you packing requisites and he starts hopping around with anticipation. . .or he just likes that squeeze bottle of watered down honey!

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by Toolmaker51; Jul 31, 2019 at 04:27 PM.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Toolmaker51 For This Useful Post:

MeJasonT (Jul 31, 2019)

Thanks
    when I want to shoot turkey I go to wallmart. then I look at the turkey and say awe shoot! just look at that price this week....then either miss or grab the one I want. I prefer the ones that have been smoking for a while they are easyer to catch in the netting they have got wound up in. it seem much easyer this way and cheeper too, along with no ticks&lime dezeze. I can also grab a frozen Margarita and some oil filters & oil while im there for the wifes car, and of coarse some extremely soft toilet paper for my pampered ass.

2000 Tool Plans

4. The Following User Says Thank You to marksbug For This Useful Post:

volodar (Aug 1, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,785 Times in 4,206 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by marksbug View Post
    when I want to shoot turkey I go to wallmart. then I look at the turkey and say awe shoot! just look at that price this week....then either miss or grab the one I want. I prefer the ones that have been smoking for a while they are easyer to catch in the netting they have got wound up in. it seem much easyer this way and cheeper too, along with no ticks&lime dezeze. I can also grab a frozen Margarita and some oil filters & oil while im there for the wifes car, and of coarse some extremely soft toilet paper for my pampered ass.
    There is a world of difference in the taste and flavor between wild Turkey (not that kind of wild turkey although it does have its own distinct flavor and taste) and that of domestic turkey raised in huge barns jammed together so tight they barely have enough room to move around, fed and watered from automatic troughs. never allowed outside for fear it may rain which would cause them to look skyward and drown they are production line harvested de feathered cleaned and processed almost never needing to be handled by human hands, and those of the wild variety who live sometimes in large flocks but forage singularly for grubs insects nuts berries and grasses who thrive in the forested or wooded areas with thick under brush have developed enough sense not to stare at the sky when it rains so water cannot run in their nose openings and drown. are adapt at camouflage to hide from predators or can run or fly Yes Fly away when threatened, due to their developed muscle tone and lower body fat ratio the meat can even be sliced off into steaks then grilled or cut into long strips seasoned and dried to make jerky or simply smoked in a smoker or baked in an oven the same as their unfortunate distant cousins the domestic birds.
    these wild turkeys are not harvested in a staged turkey shoot where the birds are staked out and cannot evade the emanate danger of #4 or 6 shot being blasted their way. You have to go out and like said hide behind a tree or create some kind of camouflaged blind from available ground cover and hope you located yourself near a game trail they frequent or actually walk through the woods scouring the underbrush in search of them. making it a 50/50 chance between hunter and hunted.
    Last edited by Frank S; Jul 31, 2019 at 09:18 AM.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,786 Times in 11,323 Posts
    Barque Kings County being stripped, caulked, and re-coppered at Hobart’s Whart, Summerville, Nova Scotia, 1909.
    Fullsize image: https://s3-us-west-1.amazonaws.com/h...w_fullsize.jpg

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

12bolts (Aug 1, 2019), baja (Aug 1, 2019), high-side (Aug 3, 2019), Miloslav (Aug 1, 2019), Seedtick (Aug 1, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,449 Times in 822 Posts

hemmjo's Tools
    My first thought was, "how did they get that ship up there), then I remembered Nova Scotia has huge tides. It is amazing how the area looks so dry around the ship.Vintage work crew photos-port-greville-nova-scotia.png

9. The Following User Says Thank You to hemmjo For This Useful Post:

Jon (Aug 1, 2019)

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Re 'railroad car' photo: I like the simple jack near bottom left - have a bunch of similar but square based, 'some kind of alloy' stands from metal dumpster. 5/8"-11 threaded rod & nut added. Surprised by the steepness of the pictured thread. Remarkable that a device so simple and logical will lift a corner/side/end of a boxcar, if indeed that's how it could have been used. Ramp, wedge, screw - principles wonderful and indispensable.
    Last edited by volodar; Aug 1, 2019 at 09:16 AM. Reason: added reference, +edit compulsion

Thanks

NeiljohnUK's Tools
    The big 'estate' shoots often have contracts to supply game dealers, once the guests and estate staff have had their choice, these dealers sell to top restaurants and other retail outlets.
    The few not 'picked-up' rarely get a chance to rot as natural 'recycling' by scavengers is quite effective, it's also an important food source that has allowed the reintroduced Red Kite the thrive in some areas.
    The bigger issue is the breed to shoot industry that releases huge numbers of introduced species that cause other problems, Pheasant's cause a number of road traffic accidents and deer park escapee introduced deer are estimated to cause 20 human road deaths in the UK annually.

Thanks

NeiljohnUK's Tools
    Of wooden ships and iron men...
    Then iron ships and wooden men...
    Now plastic ships and...

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,786 Times in 11,323 Posts
    Installing a gas line in Boston in 1894.

Fullsize image: https://s3-us-west-1.amazonaws.com/h...n_fullsize.jpg

Thanks

Ralphxyz's Tools
    and probable still in use.

Thread Information