Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 91 of 295 FirstFirst ... 41 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 141 191 ... LastLast

Thread: Vintage work crew photos

Thanks

ranald's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralphxyz View Post
    and probable still in use.
    My friend's fiance was blown up, killed, when working on an old one in Brisbane in early 70's. Interesting how minerals, moisture & nature affects those unseen things underground. I am amazed that in some movies where coffins are exumed and are in perfect condition after many years, but all that I saw were disintegrating even after 3 months (the earlist we are allowed to complete that matter). My gear rusts/rots before my eyes here but at a farm (20Ks away) where I worked, timber (lumber) could be left out in the weather & implements remained surface rust-free much much longer.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thanks
    Thanked 1,449 Times in 822 Posts

hemmjo's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by ranald View Post
    ..... Interesting how minerals, moisture & nature affects those unseen things underground.
    I have a friend who was clearing come land on an old farm. It had a large barn, all of the timbers were rotten, not worth salvaging. Long story shorted they burned that barn. At the end of the day, they had a large pile of hot ashes, galvanized roofing etc. They used a bulldozer to push the hot ashes into a large hole they had prepared ahead of time. Each day for a while they would turn the ashes with a large track-hoe.

After a month or so, they pulled all of the metal roofing out to take to recycling. The recycle center would not accept the metal. Turned out while in the ground with the hot ashes, it had become radioactive enough to trigger their Geiger counter. They told him to bring it back in a year as it would probably be safe enough for them to accept.

They told him that is happens a lot with metal they get that has been under ground for a length of time.

I had never heard of such a thing.

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    Thanked 8,785 Times in 4,206 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by hemmjo View Post
    I have a friend who was clearing come land on an old farm. It had a large barn, all of the timbers were rotten, not worth salvaging. Long story shorted they burned that barn. At the end of the day, they had a large pile of hot ashes, galvanized roofing etc. They used a bulldozer to push the hot ashes into a large hole they had prepared ahead of time. Each day for a while they would turn the ashes with a large track-hoe.

After a month or so, they pulled all of the metal roofing out to take to recycling. The recycle center would not accept the metal. Turned out while in the ground with the hot ashes, it had become radioactive enough to trigger their Geiger counter. They told him to bring it back in a year as it would probably be safe enough for them to accept.

They told him that is happens a lot with metal they get that has been under ground for a length of time.

I had never heard of such a thing.
    You got to be careful of them Geiger's they can be nasty little varmints
    I knew a guy who had a whole load of used oilfield pipe rejected at a salvage center because of the stray radiation. Only it wasn't the pipe it was his trailer that was hot. the large tub demolition trailer had been used to haul demolished buildings before he bought it there was no telling what where or when it had been filled with materials active enough to be absorbed by the steel of the trailer.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,792 Times in 11,326 Posts
    The Operations Room at RAF Fighter Command's No. 10 Group Headquarters, Rudloe Manor (RAF Box), Wiltshire, showing WAAF plotters and duty officers at work, 1943.
    Fullsize image: https://s3-us-west-1.amazonaws.com/h...w_fullsize.jpg

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

baja (Aug 6, 2019), Seedtick (Aug 5, 2019)

Thanks

Ralphxyz's Tools
    RAF? those look like boats none of them are over land.

Supporting Member Hoosiersmoker's Avatar
    Thanks
    Now I know where the stereotype for all movie and TV high ranking officers comes from! The guy at top far right and guy top 3rd from the left. I've seen both of those guys in a dozen movies!

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Radar intercepts are reported to the WAAF's the girls with the sticks and they move the models around on the map to represent reported positions of enemy aircraft. Other models representing flights of allied aircraft are also reported and moved into position to intercept the enemy aircraft.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralphxyz View Post
    RAF? those look like boats none of them are over land.
    If you look at the bottom right of the image you can see the models over both water and land

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,792 Times in 11,326 Posts
    Knocking out the chocks for a ship launch, Sunderland, UK, 1954.
    Fullsize image: https://s3-us-west-1.amazonaws.com/h...w_fullsize.jpg

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

baja (Aug 10, 2019), high-side (Aug 10, 2019), olderdan (Aug 9, 2019), Seedtick (Aug 9, 2019), Tule (Aug 9, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,538 Times in 466 Posts

olderdan's Tools
    That does not look like a place I would want to be, trip hazards everywhere and tonnes above your head, but I am sure they knew what they were doing.

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    That chain in the foreground is to catch the ship so it doesnt float away. You would want to be sure the links your standing on dont catch a foot before you can step away

13. The Following User Says Thank You to 12bolts For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (Aug 10, 2019)

Thread Information