Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 28 of 294 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 78 128 ... LastLast

Thread: Vintage work crew photos

Thanks

Beserkleyboy's Tools
    PJ, The Chicago is probably 1960s. The base is cast 'pot metal', probably zinc, tin or such.The helical cutters are as sharp as...a real testament to old school 'fit for purpose' manufacturing...never been resharpened! I enjoy the sound and Insense Cedar smell from each and every sharpening! The travel on the spring loaded feed device of the green one allows any length above maybe 2". Its housing is sort of a bent cast material, not like modern steel plate, but visually porous surface like cast iron. maybe someone here can explain the metallurgy, I only do wood-urgy... Cheers
    Jim

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Beserkleyboy For This Useful Post:

philipUsesWood&Brass (Nov 29, 2018), PJs (Nov 27, 2018)

PJs
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,118 Times in 718 Posts

PJs's Tools
    No clue about bent cast material...doesn't make sense, but what do I know. Could be that it is sheet metal but was seriously oxidized, then restored and painted along the wayż Looks like several layers of paint. The radius top and front panel may be lead soldered like old body work which can have very clean lines??

Cheers,
    PJ

2000 Tool Plans
    ‘‘Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.’’
    Mark Twain

4. The Following User Says Thank You to PJs For This Useful Post:

Beserkleyboy (Nov 27, 2018)

Thanks

Beserkleyboy's Tools
    PJ. Big rainy day here...been Google image looking for maker of the green machine! Found a good pic on Pinterest of the EXACT same machine! I've messaged the person to see if she has any ideas...stay tuned...
    JimVintage work crew photos-pencil-sharpener3.jpg

Thanks

Moby Duck's Tools
    Those "slit" beams look like 6" nails to me, not slits. You can see them better if you blow up the picture and look at some of the items that are hanging on them.

https://s3-us-west-1.amazonaws.com/h...w_fullsize.jpg
    Last edited by Moby Duck; Nov 27, 2018 at 06:36 PM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Moby Duck For This Useful Post:

PJs (Nov 28, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Moby Duck View Post
    Those "slit" beams look like 6" nails to me, not slits. You can see them better if you blow up the picture and look at some of the items that are hanging on them.

https://s3-us-west-1.amazonaws.com/h...w_fullsize.jpg
    Yup, 'slits' are nail shadows. 1930's would need decent lighting in foreground to overcome backlit exposure of windows. There is a deep field of view denoting a small aperture. Very good detail front to back and entire width. Kind of sepia looking, I expect it really was black and white.
    I want two of those 18" steering wheels for mill knee cranks. I knocked about for some joke about shop overhead, but nothing worthwhile
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Toolmaker51 For This Useful Post:

PJs (Nov 28, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Car repair workshop; labeled as 1930. Nice ceiling storage. I guess they slit the beams, and then they just put a hook in there? Looks great with pistons.

Fullsize image: https://s3-us-west-1.amazonaws.com/h...w_fullsize.jpg

I know where that set of 4 open skirt pistons would fetch a $1000.00 apiece right now tonight. I could also unload those Waukesha and Buda or the set of Packard within a couple of hours. But for me personally I'd take that leg vice and those transmissions lying on the lower right side. Did anyone notice the pair of 24" head or block shaving files hanging on the rt hand wall?
    Last edited by Frank S; Nov 27, 2018 at 08:36 PM.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

PJs (Nov 28, 2018), Toolmaker51 (Nov 27, 2018)

Supporting Member
    Thanks

wizard69's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by VinnieL View Post
    Personally I have always loved mechanical pencils. I have several. I love the way they write and draw. Used them for years making Crime Scene drawings.
    That is interesting, are Crime Scene drawings even made anymore? Seems like a few photos and an edit program would be far faster.

Given that I grew up years ago and the high school I attended still offered mechanical drawing classes. There is certainly a reward from taking a pencil to paper that you can't get from CAD drawings. While the company has gone completely digital with tool design I still like having the ability to quickly and sometimes crudely sketch out ideas.

Supporting Member
    Thanks

wizard69's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Toolmaker51 View Post
    Hmmm. Crime Scene drawings. You a planner or investigator? lol.

I agree on mechanical pencils. Sort of costly, nice ones are worth it.
    Graded wood pencils still have a good feel for drafting, but not so hot in general away from the board. To me, proper sharpeners have disappeared.
    Mechanical pencils 1.1 Ř [lead holders] need a couple small items to function but are superior otherwise. Have a pretzel bucket full of spare lead, all grades, insuring I'll live to 130.
    Clutch pencils [0.05 and 0.07 Ř] are convenient writing wise, and giving or losing one no big deal. 10 for $1.50. I'd like them more with colored lead easier to find. Time comes I want to mark drawing features red or green. So here I use ink most of all.
    Drafting has really gone down hill, CAD users have no clue how line weight enhances readability. Big deal, the program reads it accurately. Programs don't crank handles. So colored ink stands in, when a lot of leader lines intersect without a break, to match coordinates.
    Boy did you hit upon one important issue, the state of CAD drawing. I think part of this is due to the loss of drafting as a profession, a lot of companies require their engineers to generate all drawings from details on up. Of course none of these engineers have had extensive training in generating engineering drawings, nor do they have the time to care. Also there is an an assumption that high quality color is available every where and further they assume a drawing will never be ran through a photo copier. I've seen electrical drawings that really suffered from poor drawing practices and then people wonder why the machine doesn't work right.

Thanks
    Hmm that kinda looks like our old shop.....kinda, I washed the floors after those guys moved out...

the machine dosent work right because the engineer dont know squat, have never operated anyything but thier computer and phone,not a clue haw the real world works.just do a little on the putter and let it finish the job...without any real input as to what the thingys is supposed to do....Imho engineers that havent successfully worked building repairing and making thongs before they "got engineered on paper" are for the most part full of them selves and brown stuff that stinks and usually clueless but have excuses for everything and can site oh somuch useless stuff thats usually rong but like to hear them selves thinking they are impressing somebody....and yes the uneducated guy/gal can come up with oh somuch stuff that works or is transferable to somany other things..kinda like Heady Lamar.and oh somany others.janators,field hands and somany others that addvanced the world as we know it. even all of us with out solutions to whatever that may or may not work for us but can be added to too do what we are needing it to do. remember there is always a better mouse trap...somewhere else.
    Last edited by marksbug; Nov 28, 2018 at 09:46 AM. Reason: addition

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Beserkleyboy, thanks for the pics. My goto pencil sharpener is a "BOSTON Self Feeder 4" . Its general config is like your pegboard mounted one, but the mechanism is identical to your green one's. Bought new in Toronto in 1959 for first year university. Now mounted upside down to picnic table serving as office and computer desk. It never fails.

Peter

Thread Information