Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Vintage work crew photos

Thanks
    yup those are loud for sure. I get many fighters a day over head,the sound is awesome. along with turbo props,helicoptors, osprays & such every day.I dread the day when I no longer hear them. either Im dead,Im totaly def or.....worse, we have no more freedom. Ive even had the space shuttle over head.just 3 miles for one of the many bases hear I see and hear a lot.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    A projectile is ballistic portion of what might be called 'ammunition' as a general term. A shell can be fixed munitions [projectile and casing as an assembly] and then once fired commonly still known as shell, case, or casing. The majority of field guns fire fixed ammunition, overgrown versions of small arms ammunition [cartridge]. Most fixed ammunition has a primer struck by a firing pin.
    Large naval guns used bagged charges for several reasons, space saving, simpler handling of the projectile instead a very top-heavy shell, and somewhat able to regulate the powder charge. Smokeless powder is quite safe, many hard to ignite and hardly burn in open atmosphere, due to an unbalanced fire pyramid. They also do not explode, contrary to popular belief; however burn vigorously when contained.
    Without googling, my recollection is silk is reduced/ disintegrates upon firing without leaving embers in the bore, and exhausted by compressed air after firing.
    Early cannons firing black powder needed specific care for safety, as very easily ignited [even static electricity] and rapid burning. The bore was wet mopped, almost any metallic tools or boxes were copper or brass, and bore had to be very clean and dry when firing was over. Black powder is very hygroscopic, absorbing moisture from the air; promoting rust and acidic pitting. It was standard procedure to clean with hot soapy water and rinse hot enough to warm the barrel.
    Black powder shooters today still follow the procedure.

2000 Tool Plans
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Toolmaker51 For This Useful Post:

marksbug (Jul 31, 2020), volodar (Aug 31, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    P-38s being finished outdoors, when Lockheed ran out of indoor space in their facility. Burbank, CA, 1943.
    Every time I see a sentence/ photo with that point, of such astounding production rates, be it ammo, machine tools, planes, ships, Jeeps, M1 Garands', 1911-A1's....the same thought occurs.
    "And that's why WE are still speaking English, under our own flag, our own choices.".
    Every time.
    No, not that old, born ~decade later, but relate closely. It never seems remote, past tense, or irrelevant.
    Never.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thanks

jackhoying's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by 12bolts View Post
    As I understood it the propellant bags were made of silk, (originally), but now cotton or rayon, or other flammable material so as to be fully consumed during firing. Why would they employ a fibre that is designed to resist burning?
    In 1984, my friend and I were on Norfolk naval base, walking along the pier where the USS Iowa battleship was moored. We were going to tour a small destroyer that was open to tours that day. As we passed the gangplank of the Iowa, we asked the guard if they were open for visitors. He said "We are not officially open, but we never turn down anyone who ask". An officer gave us a private tour, including the inside of of turret 1, as well as the spaces below deck. Very interesting how the powder is kept secure until the last second before it is delivered inside the turret.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jackhoying For This Useful Post:

marksbug (Jul 31, 2020), volodar (Aug 31, 2020)

Thanks
    I toured the uss alabama about 15 years ago...wow...massive....awesome...and finally...dont get lost you may never be found. it was quite a trip.
    on another navy note if you ever happen nto be neer mobile alabama or pensacola florida. visit the uss alabama&museuem there or the oh so massive multi building Naval Air museum 40 miles into florida in pensacola florida. pensacola naval air station.the cradle of naval aviation. you might even get to see the navy blue angles practicing their new flight routine. totaly awesome!!! all of it, museums and angles!!

and to add to the ammo discussion...yup I have heard and watched the plane during the target practice...it's quite a sight. I sometimes hear them from my house.not as much as years gone by but there still out there firing away, dropping troops& equipment.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by marksbug View Post
    I toured the uss alabama about 15 years ago...wow...massive....awesome...and finally...dont get lost you may never be found. it was quite a trip.
    on another navy note if you ever happen nto be neer mobile alabama or pensacola florida. visit the uss alabama&museuem there or the oh so massive multi building Naval Air museum 40 miles into florida in pensacola florida. pensacola naval air station.the cradle of naval aviation. you might even get to see the navy blue angles practicing their new flight routine. totaly awesome!!! all of it, museums and angles!!

and to add to the ammo discussion...yup I have heard and watched the plane during the target practice...it's quite a sight. I sometimes hear them from my house.not as much as years gone by but there still out there firing away, dropping troops& equipment.
    I think it was sometime around 1983 or 84 when I took my girls to Disney world we had planned the trip so there would be several extra days both going and returning from there to allow me to get some enjoyment out of the vacation. when we stopped in Mobile and the girls saw the USS Alabama I wasn't at all sure if they even still wanted to venture on to Disney world. Our tour was limited as during that time they were doing some work in many areas of the ship so much of it was cordoned off from the tour, but none the less the tour was impressive as well as educationally informative.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks

gatz's Tools
    We toured the USS Alabama; forget what year, but it was memorable. Of note...the kitchen area was used in the filming of Under Siege.
    And the USS Drum was right near. We also took in that tour. Kids & wife were OK with it, but didn't enjoy it as much as I did.

Thanks
    when I was there the drumm had just been put on land and wasn't supported, so needless to say we could not go in it. I think it may of been 2002 when my wife ran the olympic torch through mobile. they have added a few more things since then...

Supporting Member bruce.desertrat's Avatar
    Thanks

bruce.desertrat's Tools
    I haven't seen any of them but I have done the Intrepid tour in NYC a few times.

Thanks
    penscola NAS probably has more than the museems in DC&Va.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to marksbug For This Useful Post:

stillldoinit (Sep 13, 2020)

Thread Information