Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Welding 3rd hand

Thanks

Haslip Cycle Works's Tools

Welding 3rd hand

Any welders out there ever need a 3rd hand? I needed one especially for tig welding smaller pieces, so I came up with this. It will even work over head.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Haslip Cycle Works For This Useful Post:

12L14 (Jul 31, 2019), Altair (May 26, 2019), high-side (May 29, 2019), Jon (May 27, 2019), kboy0076 (Mar 25, 2024), lavern s (Jun 4, 2019), olmike (May 28, 2019), PowerMk (May 26, 2019), Slim-123 (May 27, 2019), Tule (May 28, 2019)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,236 Times in 9,716 Posts

Thanks Haslip Cycle Works! We've added your Welding Third Hand to our Welding category,
    as well as to your builder page: Haslip Cycle Works's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    excellent idea. It would be nice if you post the time in video we can skip to to see what you are making, we can always go back and check out details. Personally I would prefer the video to start with the end product in use but very few you tubes are like that. Too bad there is no fast forward on you tube!
    Rob

Thanks

desbromilow's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Tooler2 View Post
    excellent idea. It would be nice if you post the time in video we can skip to to see what you are making, we can always go back and check out details. Personally I would prefer the video to start with the end product in use but very few you tubes are like that. Too bad there is no fast forward on you tube!
    Rob
    There is a fast forward (at least when watching via PC) - you simply grab the sliding dot in the time/progress bar across the bottom, and pull it left or right. In my PC, it even has a small preview screen above the dot so I can see the hours of some person yakking on, or cutting steel, and when I see the finished product, I then let it run properly.
    FWIW, MY next big hate in a lot of youtube videos is a person builds something, but doesn't show how to use it. or they show it cutting paper, instead of steel (if it is a metal working tool)
    when I find good youtube videos, the next step is saving them for offline viewing.

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by desbromilow View Post
    There is a fast forward (at least when watching via PC) - you simply grab the sliding dot in the time/progress bar across the bottom, and pull it left or right. In my PC, it even has a small preview screen above the dot so I can see the hours of some person yakking on, or cutting steel, and when I see the finished product, I then let it run properly.
    FWIW, MY next big hate in a lot of youtube videos is a person builds something, but doesn't show how to use it. or they show it cutting paper, instead of steel (if it is a metal working tool)
    when I find good youtube videos, the next step is saving them for offline viewing.
    Your method works on short videos, it is too fast on longer ones. It is amazing to me how people want to watch painfully clumsy amateur working of metal.

Thanks

WmRMeyers's Tools
    My only gripe about the video is that the lighting is terrible. One lousy LED worklight over the bench would make it so much easier to see what he's doing.

Bill

Thanks

Are you saying I’m a painfully clumsy amateur?

Thanks

Actually if you look at the top of the frame of the video there are actually a couple led light strips right above me. The issue is not a lack of lighting but rather too much lighting, the sunlight through the garage door windows causes the dark foreground. This is just one of the challenges of filming yourself doing this sort of stuff especially when you aren’t setup in a “studio” vs a home garage.

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Haslip Cycle Works View Post
    I do not remember your video and the comment was generic not personal. Sorry if it came across badly. I love creative home made solutions especially if they involve re using material.
    I do not understand why anybody would want to watch somebody else cut up plate steel with a 4'' grinder for minutes on end. I wish videos would start with the finished product so I can decide if I want to watch the whole thing.

Thanks

WmRMeyers's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Haslip Cycle Works View Post
    More that I'm going blind. In much of the video what you are holding is in the shadow cast by your body. What you need is a fill light. That shadow may be perfectly well lighted to your eyes, but the camera cannot see in the same range you can. That shadow swallows all the details of what you're doing. Especially to me, since I'm developing cataracts, so I need a great deal more light to see with any acuity at all.

My shop currently has 3 5000 lumen LED fixtures and a 2000 lumen fluorescent fixture, and I'm still having problems seeing well enough to clean and sort stuff in there. It's a 16x21 room with one small window on the north wall. I expect I'll need at least 3 more of those LED fixtures to actually work in there.

I bought an LED ringlight to use with my cellphone, and may break down and buy good photoflood lights if I ever do what you're doing. Been a long time, but I was a real photographer once upon a time.

Bill

Thread Information