Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What skill are you learning right now?

Thanks

What skill are you learning right now?

I've always believed that life, when lived to its fullest, is an adventure of continual learning. The many disciplines that make up our various building activities all require education and practice to attain and maintain a high skill level. The challenge of taking up something new offers its own rewards…

What skill are you learning right now?

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Astro's Tools
    Hi Ken, I'm taking an advanced course in 2D CAD, and hopefully soon I will be able to post some quality drawings in my posts. I have been using CAD for a couple of years but I feel that I need to learn some of the finer points to produce better quality drawings

2000 Tool Plans

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    I've been reading a book on basic electronics, and I picked up one of those electronic experiment kits. They're supposed to be for 10 year olds, but I think a kid would have a hard time using this without a knowledgeable adult at hand. I had to learn how to decipher the color codes on resistors, so, if nothing else, I know how to do that now.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    Hi Ken, I'm taking an advanced course in 2D CAD, and hopefully soon I will be able to post some quality drawings in my posts. I have been using CAD for a couple of years but I feel that I need to learn some of the finer points to produce better quality drawings
    Hi,

Neat stuff! Learning CAD has been on my list for awhile, but I haven't gotten beyond some fumbling with Sketchup. If you could point a Mac guy in the right direction, I'd definitely be interested.

Ken

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pa1963 View Post
    I've been reading a book on basic electronics, and I picked up one of those electronic experiment kits. They're supposed to be for 10 year olds, but I think a kid would have a hard time using this without a knowledgeable adult at hand. I had to learn how to decipher the color codes on resistors, so, if nothing else, I know how to do that now.
    Very cool! Remember Heathkit? I built a radio from one of their kits - must be 40+ years ago.

I remember learning the resistor decoding in high school physics and then again in A&P electronics class, but the details seem to have entirely vanished from my head. Must be all that other acquired wisdom, right? …or maybe just age…

Ken

Thanks
    At the moment, I'm wrestling with the leather dash cover on my kit car. I suppose you could say that I'm learning automotive trimming, though I'm honestly looking forward to never having to do it again!

I'll stick with the mechanical bits next time out…

Ken

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kbalch View Post
    Very cool! Remember Heathkit? I built a radio from one of their kits - must be 40+ years ago.

I remember learning the resistor decoding in high school physics and then again in A&P electronics class, but the details seem to have entirely vanished from my head. Must be all that other acquired wisdom, right? …or maybe just age…

Ken
    I wish they were still around. Maybe I'll check ebay. That's how I found that experimenter kit. $30 as opposed to $100+ new, and looked to never being used.

Thanks

Edge20's Tools
    Learning how to combine stl meshes on MeshLab

Thanks
    Very cool. That's some sort of computational polygon "thing", right? Or am I totally off?

Ken

Thanks

Edge20's Tools
    Yes, to my understanding. I am trying to comine several .stls to create a personalised work. Vectrics Cut3D uses >stls to make 3d jobs on my home built router. Trying to add photo but computer playing hardball

Thread Information