Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: wing snaps off plane, whole-plane parachute deploys safely

Jon
    Jon is offline Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,621 Times in 11,284 Posts

wing snaps off plane, whole-plane parachute deploys safely

Dino Moline is an aerobatic pilot whose left wing snapped off from negative g-load during a pushover maneuver at an airshow in El Trebol, Argentina. His Rans S-9 (video incorrectly identifies it as an S-7) was equipped with a Ballistic Recovery Systems whole-plane parachute. The parachute deployed via a solid-fuel rocket, and gently lowered the plane to the ground. A bit of a fire after landing, but Dino walked away.

Wing snaps off at 2:20. However, 2:00 is a good place to start so you can see the maneuvers that likely stressed the left wing.

Previously: Bird strike through Cessna windshield, Short takeoff/landing records

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

carloski (Aug 8, 2022), dubbby (Mar 20, 2020), greyhoundollie (Jan 3, 2020), gunsgt1863 (Mar 1, 2018), Rangi (Sep 9, 2022)

PJs
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,118 Times in 718 Posts

PJs's Tools
    Worst nightmare at an airshow...made me gasp and knew it was coming. Thank goodness for that kind of Tech now days!! Dad and I witnessed the Thunderbird crash during practice at Hamilton back when they flew the led sleds for a year...first time I ever saw my dad cry...me too off and on for days. Long history with them and our family. Seen 3 crashes in my days...never want to see another. Hopefully tech like this keeps being added.

2000 Tool Plans
    ‘‘Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.’’
    Mark Twain

4. The Following User Says Thank You to PJs For This Useful Post:

greyhoundollie (Jan 3, 2020)

Jon
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    From March 2016 - a Cirrus SR22 lands with the parachute after it loses engine power. Pilot and one passenger uninjured.

Mainstream news coverage: Father, daughter saved by plane-deployed parachute when aircraft crashes in Hauppauge | abc7ny.com
    NTSB accident report: https://www.ntsb.gov/_layouts/ntsb.a...16LA124&akey=1

From the NTSB report, it looks like the engine manufacturer had issued a service bulletin calling for replacement of the camshaft gear, and the service bulletin had not been complied with.
    Last edited by Jon; Sep 20, 2020 at 11:49 AM.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

greyhoundollie (Jan 3, 2020), PJs (Sep 27, 2018), ranald (Sep 27, 2018)

Jon
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

MeJasonT (Sep 29, 2018), Rangi (Sep 9, 2022), Seedtick (Sep 27, 2018)

PJs
    Thanks

PJs's Tools
    Pilots chute was on fire...but at least he ejected...sideways.
    Mark Twain

Thanks

ranald's Tools
    That is one of his 9 gone. Wow!

Thanks

MeJasonT's Tools
    I would love to see the statistics on Ejector Seats, to think Martin Baker make them for clients all over the world - enemy and friend alike. Although it has no relevance on the mechanical reliability of the aircraft or pilot, i would like to see by country who had the most ejections from aircraft. I'm betting Its likely to be our poorer cousins, the likes of Africa and Argentina. the most recent in the UK has involved an accidental activation on the ground leading to the death of a Red Arrows pilot. I have first hand Knowledge of a deactivated seat which was in a Jet Provost Trainer aircraft which is now in private ownership where the second seat came loose and fell out of the aircraft through the canopy. the passenger fell 300 ft and landed on soft terrain leaving him with a broken collar bone - Lucky git. Our local air museum has a display of ejector seats mainly from cold war era aircraft, one i particularly like is a seat from Super Étendard which was in an aircraft in Port Stanley in the Falkland Islands. The seat is riddled from top to bottom in holes from aircraft gun fire. There are also MK9 and MK10 seats from Panavia Tornados.
    The Museum also has a Vulcan V Bomber which had been used in the Falklands Conflict. That is a crazy aircraft, really basic flight controls and only 2 Ejector seats for 5 crew, 3 were expected to jump out of the hatch in the under carriage. The Ejection Seat has to be the greatest invention of all times, It doesn't discriminate, is non political, works equally well for a western pilot as it does for a pilot from anywhere else and is 99.9% efficient with only a handful of failures in over 40 years. Its said that Sir Martin took every loss of a pilot as a personal loss, his ambition was to loose no pilots with his seat. Admirable skills and ethics which are now sadly lost in society, hence why the Queen swung a sword at is head and gave him a medal.
    Citizen of the "New democratic" Republic of Britain, liberated from the EuroNation

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MeJasonT For This Useful Post:

PJs (Sep 29, 2018), ranald (Sep 29, 2018)

Thanks

MeJasonT's Tools
    This is always an interesting air crash

Both pilots walked away and lit up cigarettes - funny but after the crash they were seen leaning against a C130 which was fuelling up having a fag.
    Citizen of the "New democratic" Republic of Britain, liberated from the EuroNation

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MeJasonT For This Useful Post:

PJs (Sep 29, 2018), Rangi (Sep 9, 2022)

PJs
    Thanks

PJs's Tools
    Amazing amateur video! Hate seeing crashes but angels were local for these guys.
    Mark Twain

16. The Following User Says Thank You to PJs For This Useful Post:

MeJasonT (Sep 29, 2018)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PJs View Post
    Worst nightmare at an airshow...made me gasp and knew it was coming. Thank goodness for that kind of Tech now days!! Dad and I witnessed the Thunderbird crash during practice at Hamilton back when they flew the led sleds for a year...first time I ever saw my dad cry...me too off and on for days. Long history with them and our family. Seen 3 crashes in my days...never want to see another. Hopefully tech like this keeps being added.
    My father was stationed at Hamilton AFB, CA at the time of that crash. He had called the house to let the kids know the T-Birds were going to be out practicing. We lived in the old "500" area housing on the base and had climbed up the hill with a tower to watch the flying. The jets where flying north towards Novato on the east side of Hwy 101. One of the jets started losing power and altitude. There were bunkers at the north end of the base that looked like hills the jet went toward it and then behind it and crashed and all you could see was a big ball of fire and smoke. A few seconds latter you could hear the explosion, really rattle the base! Like you said it brought tears to my eyes also. I believe I was 11 or 12 at the time.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to melbakid For This Useful Post:

PJs (Sep 30, 2018), thevillageinn (Sep 30, 2018)

Thread Information