Free 173 Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Woman traverses firewood over river - GIF

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,524 Times in 4,430 Posts

Woman traverses firewood over river - GIF

If you burn firewood, and you don't live alone, then, like me, you're familiar with the dynamic that governs who carries the wood into the house. I'm not saying who it is that usually ends up carrying the firewood, but...

...on a completely unrelated topic, I have started to really enjoy GIFs and videos of women carrying firewood. It seems like they're extraordinarily skilled at this task, and perhaps it's best if they replace us inferior men at performing this duty.

Here we have a woman traversing over a river with some firewood:

This type of river crossing is called a Tyrolean Traverse. In Western culture, this technique is common when climbing/hiking/adventuring. Typically the traverser hangs his pack from the rope, and then clips it to his harness, whereas this woman is dragging her load with her feet. No pulleys, just pure foot and friction, beautiful water, and smiling all the way.

It wasn't easy, but I think this one beats a previous favorite - this 64-second video of Cameroonian women carrying firewood on their heads:

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

Seedtick (09-26-2017), Toolmaker51 (10-18-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,445 Times in 1,740 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    I don't understand why that 1 woman tossed away the 2 sticks in the 2nd video or why th eman didn't drive his vehicle to the village for that matter
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use http://kbs.justoldtrucks.com/

Thanks
    Thanked 1,617 Times in 983 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    ...on a completely unrelated topic, I have started to really enjoy GIFs and videos of women carrying firewood. It seems like they're extraordinarily skilled at this task, and perhaps it's best if they replace us inferior men at performing this duty.
    They do because they can.
    They do because they aren't tied to same stereo-typical mess of 'our' females.
    The audio portion has them sounding at least pleasant and smiling, if not happy. They don't appear frail or underfed. Clearly they been doing this since childhood and who knows how many generations.
    Culturally they may or may not treated as second class. But I put them ahead of loads of OUR oh-so-proud and so-called laborers.

And, while I find smiles often mask shyness, they can be genuine. When that occurs, it's a bit of pride being recorded [a revelation to visitor] performing what is commonplace there. The new variety of tourism [and returning with digital visuals] show the first world how it came to be.

Come to think of it, who applied those labels in such order. Looks like we may be the ones deficient in life skills.
    Last edited by Toolmaker51; 10-18-2018 at 05:52 PM.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thanks
    Thanked 3,445 Times in 1,740 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Toolmaker51 View Post
    They do because they can.
    They do because they aren't tied to same stereo-typical mess of 'our' females.
    The audio portion has them sounding at least pleasant and smiling, if not happy. They don't appear frail or underfed. Clearly they been doing this since childhood and who knows how many generations.
    Culturally they may or may not treated as second class. But I put them ahead of loads of OUR oh-so-proud and so-called laborers.

And, while I find smiles often mask shyness, they can be genuine. When that occurs, it's a bit of pride being recorded [a revelation to visitor] performing what is commonplace there. The new variety of tourism [and returning with digital visuals] show the first world how it came to be.

Come to think of it, who applied those labels in such order. Looks like we may be the ones deficient in life skills.
    Having worked in many emerging and 3rd world countries as well as several so called 1st world countries.
    I'm not so sure which is which anymore I also believe there is yet another classification of country. In those countries you will find the ultra modern glitz and technologies of the so called 1st world but only where they chose to have that stuff while most of the people of the country reject a lot of it in large part.Not because it is not available to them but more because it serves no useful purpose to them.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use http://kbs.justoldtrucks.com/

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (10-19-2018)

Jon
    Thanks
    Another great moment in the proud history of women and firewood transportation.

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

mwmkravchenko (11-15-2018), PJs (11-18-2018), ranald (11-15-2018), rlm98253 (11-14-2018), Seedtick (11-14-2018), volodar (11-18-2018)

Thanks
    Just came back from a month in Southern China. I can tell you from first hand experience women there work as hard as many men here.
    If I had to guess on the wood species it appears to be cedar. Colour of the weather trunk and the small branches in the beginning of the trunk are hallmarks of cedar. Not exactly killer heavy but still we are not talking about 50lbs either.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to mwmkravchenko For This Useful Post:

PJs (11-18-2018)

Thanks

ranald's Tools
    It does look like a light hardwood like paulonia: plenty of checks (very dry) in it & probably quite light to many hardwoods (not bulsa which is about 280 kg/m3) so no mean feat all the same. Woodn't like to meet her in a dark alley or at least a mugger wouldn't. pun intended. ha ha!

cheers
    Ranald

Jon
    Thanks
    Found this when looking at tumplines, those head strap carrying devices. Captioned as: "This woman brings firewood in the village Khare." Is there another strap on her face? Almost looks like she's eating something.

Fullsize image: https://s3-us-west-1.amazonaws.com/h...e_fullsize.jpg

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

ranald (02-08-2019), Seedtick (02-08-2019), Toolmaker51 (02-08-2019)

Thanks

ranald's Tools
    possibly holding chin due the the back pressure to her spine

& Aust kids had shoulder deformities due to carring highschool bags full of books (on one shoulder-trendy to use only one).Perspective!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,617 Times in 983 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by ranald View Post
    possibly holding chin due the the back pressure to her spine

& Aust kids had shoulder deformities due to carring highschool bags full of books (on one shoulder-trendy to use only one).Perspective!
    Here in US a physical issue develops in males wearing saggy jeans. Their gait is impaired directly which affects hip joints later. Supposedly, this fashion originally emulated poor fitting prison garb. Great choice of motivational image...

I spend early weeks of each year mentoring projects in a local high school. There might be two major groups of personalities, the larger comprised of followers. Literal sheep, what I notice most, those with less 'going on' upstairs use trends to substitute identity. At the same time they'll declare their individuality.
    Contrary to my usual stance visible here [HMT.net] I'm sensitive on dilemma being young.
    There is always one or two drawn to military enlistment. In roundabout approach, I get them all conversing about what uniform really means, and how to draw true individuality. A frequent question is how I got to be like I am. (We had this part easier, never felt herded.) I ask about their interests, and steer the conversation in to achievement might be ultimate form of expression.
    Sometimes I see the lights come on.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Toolmaker51 For This Useful Post:

jimfols (02-08-2019), rlm98253 (02-08-2019)

Thread Information