Free 173 Best Homemade Tools eBook:  

Thread: Women of the 1942 Watford Home Defense Unit practicing marksmanship - photo

Jon
    Jon is offline Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,966 Times in 4,999 Posts

Women of the 1942 Watford Home Defense Unit practicing marksmanship - photo

Women of the 1942 Watford Home Defense Unit practicing marksmanship. Largest image size available.

Homemade Tools Supporters Forum
    Tool plans, build guides, ebooks, and more.

Click here to become a supporter

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

baja (09-03-2019), high-side (09-02-2019), Scotsman Hosie (09-11-2019), Seedtick (09-02-2019)

mklotz
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,785 Times in 1,285 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    The famous statement, "You cannot invade mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass.", wrongly* attributed to Japan's Isoroku Yamamoto, was as true for Britain as it was for the US.

An educated, trainable, highly motivated (not to mention pissed-off) populace with access to modern arms would have made invasion, if not impossible, a bloody mess for the invaders.

---
    * https://www.factcheck.org/2009/05/misquoting-yamamoto/
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    http://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

4. The Following User Says Thank You to mklotz For This Useful Post:

Scotsman Hosie (09-11-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,665 Times in 1,008 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Wrongly attributed maybe, yet for Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto, his real downfall wasn't riflemen but codebreakers and a team of US pilots.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Vengeance

In photo of women target shooters, it demonstrates what aligns with Second Amendment, mixed choice private arms; BSA Martini's, P14 Enfield's, apparent Lee-Metford's, and other unfamiliar patterns. Most not issue military rifles, but target rifles fitted with peep sights and shaded insert front sights. Even the P14's were no longer front line British Army, very possibly bought as surplus.
    Last edited by Toolmaker51; 09-07-2019 at 07:38 PM.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

mklotz
    Supporting Member
    Thanks

mklotz's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Toolmaker51 View Post
    Wrongly attributed maybe, yet for Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto, his real downfall wasn't riflemen but codebreakers and a team of US pilots.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Vengeance

In photo of women target shooters, it demonstrates what aligns with Second Amendment, mixed choice private arms; BSA Martini's, P14 Enfield's, apparent Lee-Metford's, and other unfamiliar patterns. Most not issue military rifles, but target rifles fitted with peep sights and shaded insert front sights. Even the P14's were no longer front line British Army, very possibly bought as surplus.
    I'm always put off by writers who talk about the xxxx that won the war. Arguably, the most important thing is the skill with which all the elements are coordinated and deployed.

Nevertheless, if I had to select one element as the maximum benefit for effort extended, it would be codebreaking. There's just nothing so useful in battle as knowing what your enemy plans to do next.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware

7. The Following User Says Thank You to mklotz For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (09-08-2019)

Thanks

Toolmaker51's Tools
    I'll agree codebreaking has been pivotal so many times. Also, there's certainly never been an XXXX factor that won on it's own. But as a late baby boomer, 26 year vet USN, therefore student and participant in history, one element I see that surpasses codebreaking.
    It's the willingness of one society to prevail via mixed endeavors. War Bonds. Scrap Drives. The USO. Truthful Media & Photojournalisim. Women's Baseball League. Production Efficiency Awards.
    Warning. Opportunistic Thread Hack!
    My favorite is the variety of Bolstering Propaganda carried by advertisements in Life and Fortune magazines. Studebaker, Chris-Craft, Philco, RCA, GM, Martin Aircraft, Campbell's Soup, Dietzgen, Heil Trailers, Winchester-Western, Shell Oil, Rolodex even Walt Disney Studio's and more ran illustrated ads [drawn, rarely photographic] describing how their production efforts made a fractional difference in hoped-for outcome of victory. I have about 65 originals, carefully hand picked for content/ art, that thrill everyone with appreciation seeing them.
    I call it Bolstering Propaganda, as of the hundreds examined, so very few depicted Axis in a racial stereotype IYKWIM. Not jingoistic, or we are better than so-and-so, just "we can do this". Success of Jon's Black and White Photographs of Machines and Tools thread tells me scan and present them in a HMT.net thread of their own.
    They'll be framed, hung for display, in entryway of my building. To emphasize and illustrate importance of manufacturing now so overlooked, the countertop is a showcase; kinds of products people take for granted, with short photo-essays how they'd been made.
    It will be unique among myriad little museums hereabouts; not crystal, porcelain, geodes, farm equipment, printing, psychiatry(!), Civil War, Jesse James, Pony Express, fire equipment, trucking industry . . .The J. James and Pony Express, fire, & psychiatry BTW are within blocks of me. I looking for someone, an artist to create a mural how few of those would function were it not for manufacturing.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51

Jon
    Jon is offline Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,966 Times in 4,999 Posts
    Allied manufacturing output is up there too. Ratio of GDP between Allies and Axis powers.

Homemade Tools Supporters Forum
    Tool plans, build guides, ebooks, and more.

Click here to become a supporter

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (09-08-2019)

Thanks

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Mid WWII. With war production going on countrywide, literally thousands of units per day on the lines, maintaining the infrastructure didn't get overlooked.
    Yamamoto was absolutely correct. Imperialist strategies are no match for industrial might, which is essentially tactical.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Toolmaker51 For This Useful Post:

Jon (09-08-2019)

mklotz
    Supporting Member
    Thanks

mklotz's Tools
    In a way I'm sorry that Yamamoto did not survive until the end of the war. He was a very intelligent man and I wish I could have read his analysis of what, if anything, the Japanese should have done differently. Would he have recommended an earlier surrender or a more compacted form of defense of the home islands instead of the huge manpower losses of the defense of widely distributed Pacific islets? What would he have recommended for a postwar Japan?
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware

Thanks

Toolmaker51's Tools
    I believe he'd have been Japans best postwar representative to the US, even to orchestrating The Marshall Plan. More than just intelligent, he was flexible, observant and creative. His Harvard stint and cross country travels instilled plenty of admiration for our abilities and potential; shortcomings as well. Though the 'every blade of grass' comment may never had occurred, he had to have been aware what kind of resistance would ensue.
    But he was totally obverse to politics.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51

mklotz
    Supporting Member
    Thanks

mklotz's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Toolmaker51 View Post
    But he was totally obverse to politics.
    and that may have been his best qualification.

Post your reply!
    Join 41,949 of us and get our 173 Must Read Homemade Tools eBook free.

173 Must Read Homemade Tools
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware

16. The Following User Says Thank You to mklotz For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (09-08-2019)

Thread Information