Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Wood Racks and Stands for Drills, Countersinks and Collets

Thanks
    Thanked 1,441 Times in 655 Posts

Paul Jones's Tools

Wood Racks and Stands for Drills, Countersinks and Collets

I like to use small stands and racks made from wood for organizing tools in my tool cabinets and on the workbench. Some of the cutting tools like the 90 degree countersinks and the screw machine length drills are used at the metal lathes, milling machine and drill press so the wood stands make it easy to spot in the shop and moved from machine to machine. I typically use oak, mahogany or teak for the wood stands and finish then with two coats of the Deft clear semi-gloss spray finish. I find drilling a small through hole at the bottom for each tool hole in the wood stands prevents the tool shanks from sticking in the holes due to suction. The oak rack for the ER16 and E16 collets was step drilled with two sizes of Forstner bits to accommodate the collet tapers. The 90 degree countersinks are stored in a mahogany stand while the screw machine drills are stored in a teak stand (this wood is from a teak screw hole plug used in teak decking on cargo ships when teak decking was more common). Finally the tap storage drawer is from a small tool chest I made almost fifty years ago. The drawer can be removed and taken to the bench.

Wood Racks and Stands for Drills, Countersinks and Collets-er16-collet-rack-finished.jpg Wood Racks and Stands for Drills, Countersinks and Collets-er16-collet-rack-drawer.jpg

Wood Racks and Stands for Drills, Countersinks and Collets-hole-deburring-tool-set-less-than-0.5-inch-holes.jpg Wood Racks and Stands for Drills, Countersinks and Collets-taper-spiral-point-tap-storage-drawer.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Wood Racks and Stands for Drills, Countersinks and Collets-teak-screw-machine-drill-stand.jpg  

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by Paul Jones; Mar 30, 2018 at 07:25 AM.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Paul Jones For This Useful Post:

kbalch (Jan 8, 2015), Theuns (Jan 8, 2015), Tule (Sep 5, 2017)

Supporting Member
    Thanks

rob streeper's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Jones View Post
    I like to use small stands and racks made from wood for organizing tools in my tool cabinets and on the workbench. Some of the cutting tools like the 90 degree countersinks and the screw machine length drills are used at the metal lathes, milling machine and drill press so the wood stands make it easy to spot in the shop and moved from machine to machine. I typically use oak, mahogany or teak for the wood stands and finish then with two coats of the Deft clear semi-gloss spray finish. I find drilling a small through hole at the bottom for each tool hole in the wood stands prevents the tool shanks from sticking in the holes due to suction. The oak rack for the ER16 and E16 collets was step drilled with two sizes of Forester bits to accommodate the collet tapers. The 90 degree countersinks are stored in a mahogany stand while the screw machine drills are stored in a teak stand (this wood is from a teak screw hole plug used in teak decking on cargo ships when teak decking was more common). Finally the tap storage drawer is from a small tool chest I made almost fifty years ago. The drawer can be removed and taken to the bench.
    Nice work Paul, I was organized once...

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    Thanks for the tap storage drawer. I also made wooden storage stands for my small tools like screwdriver bits. Will post a bit later as I am in the process of relocating and this time my workshop get priority and everything must have a place.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Theuns For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Jan 8, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanks Paul! I've added your Drill, Countersink, and Collet Racks to our Woodworking and Storage and Organization categories, as well as to your builder page: Paul Jones' Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts
    Pretty neat racks, in more ways than one!

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,707 Times in 9,872 Posts
    My tool chest is a mess. Sorted the taps, bits, etc. in separate drawers but I'm still rummaging for the right sized tool. Talk about unorganized.

Supporting Member Captainleeward's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,330 Times in 525 Posts

Captainleeward's Tools
    WOW..... Shiver me timbers those are nice racks Paul....

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Captainleeward For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Jan 12, 2015)

Thread Information