Thread: Woodwork marking gauge

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sossol's Tools

Woodwork marking gauge

I had a basic idea of what I wanted to build (to ape a proven design), but didn't have any detailed specs. My arbitrary rule for this was that I had to use the blade from a dead can opener, so I dug through my stashes of material that would work. The actual shapes were dictated by happenstance and correction of errors, of which there were many.
    The steel rod is from a printer, the maerial for the nut is from a piece of steel that was in an antique toolbox I inherited, the knob is from a miniature dimmer from another project), the brass plate and knurled bar are leftovers from a guitar project I haven't posted here yet (I made all of the hardware from brass. Posted it to https://www.facebook.com/permalink.p...00020053728764).
    I tried a new-to-me technique on this mostly because it seemed like fun. I machined the bore in the 1/4" plate and the shoulder on the barstock to an interference fit and heated it for a temporary slip fit. I wasn't quick enough, and it tightened up before it was fully seated, but a few light taps with a hammer did the trick. Note to self: be quick. It still let me get the knurl up against the fence part.
    Woodwork marking gauge-img_8879.jpg Woodwork marking gauge-img_8880.jpg Woodwork marking gauge-img_8881.jpg Woodwork marking gauge-img_8882.jpg Woodwork marking gauge-img_8883.jpg Woodwork marking gauge-img_8884.jpg Woodwork marking gauge-img_8885.jpg Woodwork marking gauge-img_8886.jpg Woodwork marking gauge-img_8887.jpg Woodwork marking gauge-img_8888.jpg Woodwork marking gauge-img_8889.jpg
    I didn't bother to remove all of the scratched before polishing, so it's a Monet, but I'm OK with that.

Neil

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sossol For This Useful Post:

Andyt (04-09-2020), bobs409 (04-08-2020), Jon (04-09-2020), Paul Jones (04-07-2020)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,285 Times in 1,164 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks sossol! We've added your Marking Gauge to our Marking Gauges category,
    as well as to your builder page: sossol's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,337 Times in 636 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Paul Jones's Tools
    Great work on the final finishes for your marking gauge. Also excellent close-up photos for showing the details. Thank you.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sossol's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Jones View Post
    Great work on the final finishes for your marking gauge. Also excellent close-up photos for showing the details. Thank you.
    I'll be honest here... I only polished it so that I could take these glamor shots. I was going to leave it unpolished because all of the pieces are pretty battered and scarred.

Neil

Post your reply!
    Join 42,532 of us and get 500+ tool plans, tool eBooks, build guides, and much more.

eBooks for Supporters

6. The Following User Says Thank You to sossol For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (04-12-2020)

Thread Information