Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Working 1805 steam engine - photo and GIF

Jon
    Jon is offline Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,616 Times in 11,283 Posts

Working 1805 steam engine - photo and GIF

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

baja (Nov 24, 2019), Karl_H (Nov 23, 2019), Scotty12 (Nov 23, 2019), Seedtick (Nov 23, 2019)

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    I designed a shear for a conveyor process using this 2:1 hypo cyclodial idea. (Same as this one). It worked quite well. The military was looking at a 2 stroke engine that employed a cyclodial crankshaft using this design for small drone engines. The idea was to reduce the piston side wear by reducing angular forces that conventional crankshafts produce. To me these kinds of mechanisms are poetry in motion and often over looked.

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks

Radioman's Tools
    Where is the connection point between the gear and the pump shaft? It doesn’t seem to be enough room for any type of substantial mechanical connection between the two and I can’t make any headway by slowing down or enlarging the video I still don’t see an area that they can possibly connect properly?

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Radioman View Post
    Where is the connection point between the gear and the pump shaft? It doesn’t seem to be enough room for any type of substantial mechanical connection between the two and I can’t make any headway by slowing down or enlarging the video I still don’t see an area that they can possibly connect properly?
    the pump drive gear is mounted on a bearing which is mounted on a bearing the bearing is on a brilliantly designed double offset crank shaft the gear drives the pump via a trunnion connection the trunnion connection shaft has a bearing on it inside of the gear. the planet gear rotates inside of the fixed internal ring gear the yellow disk behind the gear on the shorter throw of the crankshaft operates the valve it too has a bearing inside of it the 2 rods extend down to the valve while keeping the disk from rotating
    the whole set up is a complex yet simple use of gearing offsets and bearings to drive a reciprocating pump
    Last edited by Frank S; Nov 24, 2019 at 08:29 PM.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    There is a shaft journal that protrudes off the side of the planet gear. The axial center line of the shaft is located on the gear pitch line of the planet gear. This mechanism also requires a 2:1 ratio to achieve the proper reciprocating motion.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information