Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Workshop Tip - Don't Throw Stuff Away! - Part Two

Supporting Member Retro Steam Tech's Avatar
    Thanks

Retro Steam Tech's Tools

Workshop Tip - Don't Throw Stuff Away! - Part Two

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Retro Steam Tech For This Useful Post:

asterix (Feb 8, 2022), boggybud (Feb 8, 2022), bruce.desertrat (Feb 13, 2022), Jon (Feb 11, 2022), Moby Duck (Feb 11, 2022), mwmkravchenko (Feb 8, 2022), NortonDommi (Feb 6, 2022), old_toolmaker (Feb 13, 2022), rgsparber (Feb 17, 2022), rlm98253 (Feb 13, 2022), Sleykin (Nov 20, 2023), Toolmaker51 (Feb 13, 2022), tooly (Feb 7, 2022)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,654 Posts

Thanks Retro Steam Tech! We've added your File Handle to our Metalworking category,
    as well as to your builder page: Retro Steam Tech's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Supporting Member
    Thanks

wizard69's Tools
    Well that is a very interesting use of those cartridges.

This left the mind churning and one idea that cam to me is to use them to make small crank handles. That is to replace the ones that always break off on small lathes and mills. Bore a slightly larger hole and fill with a bit of epoxy and then drive in a length of drill rod. Stand on end to allow the epoxy to run down around the drill rod that would be inserted an inch or so into the cartridge. Seems like a light weight way to produce a small crank handle. Not having the cartridges on hand I have to wonder what the max realistic bore one could drill through the neck, but if you can do 5/32" that might be good enough for many small machines.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wizard69 For This Useful Post:

kkirkland315 (Feb 13, 2022), NortonDommi (Feb 6, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,398 Times in 2,119 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    I have a number of CO2 rifles and pistols so I have a large coffee tin full of spent cartridges. They are indeed steel and for a good reason; at room temperature the CO2 pressure inside them is about 853 psi. Don't worry about retained gas. If they've been used successfully in a weapon, they've been pierced and, when removed from the weapon, any remaining gas will immediately vent.

I too hit on the idea of using them for file/scriber/awl/scraper handles but haven't thought of any other uses I want to pursue right now. Nevertheless here are some ideas to ponder...

wind chime - cut off domed end and suspend with fishing line; cut to different lengths to generate different tones

lead hammer head - cut off pointed end and fill with melted lead or a mixture of epoxy and lead shot

cut off the pointed end to produce an elongated cylindrical "cup". Such cups could be welded to pegboard hooks and used to hold stuff, e.g. plier handles

cut both ends off to produce short lengths of very strong pipe
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mklotz For This Useful Post:

bruce.desertrat (Feb 13, 2022), Moby Duck (Feb 11, 2022), old_toolmaker (Feb 13, 2022), Toolmaker51 (Feb 13, 2022)

Thanks

Great idea, Thank You!

Great idea! Plus, besides air guns there are several other uses for CO2 cartridges. (They're just not as fun.)

I've been looking for a needle file handle I could use with multiple files similar to what I have for my full-size ones. Yeah, having a few handles of your design in my file drawer for the (typically) knurled, round tangs would be quite useful--safer, for sure. Trouble is, having one on each file (I'd probably use JB Weld or the likes), like you say, would take up a lot of space.

Can you think of making a hole in a cartridge that's flexible enough for easy reuse? Do you think a tiny hose clamp on a split (using a Dremel tool, or...) nozzle will work? How about tapping a small hole in the nozzle for a setscrew or maybe a small thumbscrew?
    Last edited by boggybud; Feb 8, 2022 at 02:56 PM. Reason: fat fingers and wordiness

Thanks

Moby Duck's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by boggybud View Post
    Great idea! Plus, besides air guns there are several other uses for CO2 cartridges. (They're just not as fun.)

I've been looking for a needle file handle I could use with multiple files similar to what I have for my full-size ones. Yeah, having a few handles of your design in my file drawer for the (typically) knurled, round tangs would be quite useful--safer, for sure. Trouble is, having one on each file (I'd probably use JB Weld or the likes), like you say, would take up a lot of space.

Can you think of making a hole in a cartridge that's flexible enough for easy reuse? Do you think a tiny hose clamp on a split (using a Dremel tool, or...) nozzle will work? How about tapping a small hole in the nozzle for a setscrew or maybe a small thumbscrew?
    I use a cheap pin vice for my needle files. If you wanted a fatter handle the pin vice could be easily inserted into one of these gas cylinders.

Thanks

Moby Duck's Tools
    I was a kid once. Black powder and a firecracker wick brings back memories.

Thanks
    Not a bad idea, thanks. Too bad my pin vises aren't large enough to hold my needle files.
    I think I'm going to pursue the set screw in a CO2 cartridge neck idea. Just need a few carts--might be interesting to buy and safely discharge a few.
    Niceville, Florida

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Moby Duck View Post
    I was a kid once. Black powder and a firecracker wick brings back memories.
    That's what I used to do with my empties. I now live next to an old golf course, old golf balls are making a second life as file handles!

Supporting Member Retro Steam Tech's Avatar
    Thanks

Retro Steam Tech's Tools
    That's a great idea. I think they would make good crank handles. The neck on the ones I have measure about 7.3mm in diameter.

Thread Information