Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: World's largest edible mushroom - photos

Thanks
    Thanked 8,787 Times in 4,206 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by schuylergrace View Post
    "Medium rare"??!!?? Why, that is jerky, isn't it? There should still be a little fight left in the critter when you eat it! Oh, Lord have mercy! You don't use steak sauce, too, do you?
    OH hell no, never bought a bottle of the stuff so don't know what it would even taste like

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks

WmRMeyers's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by schuylergrace View Post
    There ain't no such thing as undercooked meat--beef, anyway--unless you can't catch up with it on your plate to poke it with a fork! Rare pork is a delight too (you have to freeze it for a while to take care of any trichinosis critters), but near 'bout any part of a hog slow cooked for 12-18 hours is the best (that would not be rare).
    Used to eat "cannibal" sandwiches. Raw hamburger, with a little salt and pepper, a smear of mayo on the bread. That was one of dad's favorite lunches when I was a kid. By the time I was a teenager, dad wanted to raise the beef himself, so he knew what went into it, and how it was raised. I'll still eat medium-rare steak, once in a great while, but I've got a pretty good immune system. These days, at home, we sous vide most meat & poultry. And what doesn't get put through the sous vide process goes in the oven for a few hours. Whole turkeys, for example. My wife has a wreck of an immune system. Been diagnosed with Crohn's, IBS, Chronic Lupus erythematosus, rheumatoid arthritis, etc. And every time she has to change doctors, we get a slew of new diagnoses, and the old ones thrown out.

FYI, the sous vide process kills all the bacteria and parasites in food processed that way, so long as you get the correct temperatures and times. Also leaves cheaper cuts of meat more tender. It does clutter the heck out of a kitchen counter, though! Wouldn't bet on it killing prions, though. They're pretty tough.

Bill

2000 Tool Plans

3. The Following User Says Thank You to WmRMeyers For This Useful Post:

mwmkravchenko (Jul 24, 2022)

Thanks

WmRMeyers's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    OH hell no, never bought a bottle of the stuff so don't know what it would even taste like
    Used to catch crap from my 2nd step-father about using ketchup on my steaks. Called me a philistine when I was ten years old. Now I'm 67, and I eat my food the way I like it, and with the additives I want. Ketchup on eggs, scrambles hard! Everyone who doesn't like it can go joke themselves. I won't eat NƯỚC CHẤM myself, but if you want it, knock yourself out! SWMBO likes it, but has learned not to insist that I try it anymore.

OTH, I'm the poor bastrich that can't stand hot peppers, and never has been able to, despite growing up in SoCal, and in a family where even the dog loved jalapenos.

YMMV!

Bill

5. The Following User Says Thank You to WmRMeyers For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by WmRMeyers View Post
    Used to catch crap from my 2nd step-father about using ketchup on my steaks. Called me a philistine when I was ten years old. Now I'm 67, and I eat my food the way I like it, and with the additives I want. Ketchup on eggs, scrambles hard! Everyone who doesn't like it can go joke themselves. I won't eat NƯỚC CHẤM myself, but if you want it, knock yourself out! SWMBO likes it, but has learned not to insist that I try it anymore.

OTH, I'm the poor bastrich that can't stand hot peppers, and never has been able to, despite growing up in SoCal, and in a family where even the dog loved jalapenos.

YMMV!

Bill
    When I first met my wife in 91 she had moved to Texas back in 81, in 10 years of living in Texas she had never eaten jalapeno peppers. Now after all these years she is disappointed if I prepare a meal without including some of my hot sauce, even the dishes that really shouldn't be spiced up.
    Ketchup on scrambled eggs, yeah I can do that

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

Supporting Member mwmkravchenko's Avatar
    Thanks
    I like spicy to. Mosre spicy than most people from what I have learned. At least around eastern Ontario. I have a Nigerian brother in-law that tries to smoke me out with hot stuff. Only once did I relent. But I got him also once with Habernero oil. That stuff was hot.

Hottest I ate was in China white peppers. Evil things from He**

I eat no raw meat. I too have a buggered immune system. But I do enjoy medium well, to medium if it's a well done steak. And horrors I have used steak sauce. But I generally salt them for about 20 minutes per inch. Then wash it all off. Natures tenderizer. Well done gets chicken, Turkey, Pork, but I watch that carefully. Use a thermometer to get it to the right temp and done. I prefer a juicey cut of meat.

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by mwmkravchenko View Post
    I like spicy to. Mosre spicy than most people from what I have learned. At least around eastern Ontario. I have a Nigerian brother in-law that tries to smoke me out with hot stuff. Only once did I relent. But I got him also once with Habernero oil. That stuff was hot.

I eat no raw meat. I too have a buggered immune system. But I do enjoy medium well, to medium if it's a well done steak. And horrors I have used steak sauce. But I generally salt them for about 20 minutes per inch. Then wash it all off. Natures tenderizer. Well done gets chicken, Turkey, Pork, but I watch that carefully. Use a thermometer to get it to the right temp and done. I prefer a juicey cut of meat.
    China white, I mean white China peppers. one will fry your brain the other will cook your insides.

Thanks

WmRMeyers's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    When I first met my wife in 91 she had moved to Texas back in 81, in 10 years of living in Texas she had never eaten jalapeno peppers. Now after all these years she is disappointed if I prepare a meal without including some of my hot sauce, even the dishes that really shouldn't be spiced up.
    Ketchup on scrambled eggs, yeah I can do that
    I've had folks who put tabasco sauce on their eggs talk bad about me because I use ketchup. Personally, I can't see the difference. I did fine in on deployments trading the bottles of tabasco that came in MRE's for deserts.

And for a while, I was taking kids in In-School Restriction to the school cafeteria for lunches. They'd whine about the cafeteria food. I'd suggest they try living in the field, eating MRE's for a month, and then they'd appreciate cafeteria food. For some reason, the cafeteria ladies made sure I always got more than the normal servings of lunch...

Bill

Thanks

WmRMeyers's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by mwmkravchenko View Post

Had a buddy who bragged on how hot he liked his spicy food, back in the day. When I got promoted to Staff Sergeant on the same day my now ex-spouse did, we had a beer bust to celebrate. Chips and crackers and pretzels and a variety of dips for munchies. One was Meyer's Special Dip, as describe in one of John D. MacDonald's Travis McGee stories: Dry Chinese mustard moistened with tabasco sauce. Had a warning sign on it, and the bowl was flanked with a couple of fire extinguishers. Ward grabbed a chip full of this stuff, and crammed the whole thing in his mouth... Then started chugging Lowenbrau to put out the flames. He wound up drinking about half the keg. He'd been talking about Thai ghost peppers and such, prior. Never heard another word about how spicy he liked his food.

Yes, I'm a bastrich!

I like spice, just can't stand hot spice. Mild yellow banana peppers is about as hot as I can handle. Means there are a lot of things that I just can't eat, including whole cuisines, including much of my base cuisine, Mexican. Grew up in SoCal, couldn't eat much of what most folks out there considered basic minimum foods. And still can't. Oh, well. Life sucks, and then you die. Fortunately, I have a terrible sweet tooth, and there are churros, flan, and tres leches cakes. So life isn't all bad!

Bill

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information