Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: world's longest limosine

Thanks
    Thanked 8,786 Times in 4,206 Posts

Frank S's Tools

world's longest limosine

And to think I had problems learning to parallel park as a teen when I wanted to use my granddads old B61 Mack truck to take my driving test in.

Take a look see at this slide show
    It never shows the car moving probably for good reason but what is little known is if you look close you will see that it can bend in the middle.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

baja (Sep 7, 2019), carloski (Jun 1, 2022), Midwestern640 (Sep 8, 2019)

Supporting Member bruce.desertrat's Avatar
    Thanks

bruce.desertrat's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    And to think I had problems learning to parallel park as a teen when I wanted to use my granddads old B61 Mack truck to take my driving test in.

Take a look see at this slide show
    It never shows the car moving probably for good reason but what is little known is if you look close you will see that it can bend in the middle.

ROFL, looks like one of those funny panoramic pics where a dog gets 42 legs or something...

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by bruce.desertrat View Post
    ROFL, looks like one of those funny panoramic pics where a dog gets 42 legs or something...
    Yep, and don't bother asking what's under the hood because the engine is behind the rear windscreen. Don't know what to think about the missing hubcap

The desolate ranch country of Northeastern corner of New Mexico, USA
    Thanks

IAMSatisfied's Tools
    There's got to be ALL kinds of stresses on the frame and body of that thing if it were to actually go down the highway through ups and downs, twists and turns. The shear pressure on the tires alone (in a turn) make me wonder if this can actually navigate a corner (not to mention it's length). Looks like a design fail to me.

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by IAMSatisfied View Post
    There's got to be ALL kinds of stresses on the frame and body of that thing if it were to actually go down the highway through ups and downs, twists and turns. The shear pressure on the tires alone (in a turn) make me wonder if this can actually navigate a corner (not to mention it's length). Looks like a design fail to me.
    You realize it would have to be on an air suspension which probably could have as much as 10 to 12 inches of vertical travel.
    It articulates just behind the 4 axles in the middle so figure 55 ft to the front and 55 for the trailer as I would call it
    I know where there is a custom built peterbilt with a 30 ft wheel base and the guy pulls a 53 ft 4 axle trailer so there would only be about 15 to 20 feet difference in his rig and the limo.
    To be sure this thing probably never sees speeds above 35 MPH and only on wide boulevards with a carefully selected route of travel and obviously not on surface streets with deep dips or sudden rises and most especially sharp turns

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    I think it NEVER drives. It arrives in 2+ pieces to its photo op location. There it is assembled for the "event" and after the press crowd goes home it is disassembled and hauled back to its storage yard in 2+ pieces. It probably has 20+ spare tires stored in the front half. It probably blows several tires during assembly. Some of the blowouts have launched hub caps into parts unknown.

Thanks

IAMSatisfied's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by greyhoundollie View Post
    I think it NEVER drives. It arrives in 2+ pieces to its photo op location. There it is assembled for the "event" and after the press crowd goes home it is disassembled and hauled back to its storage yard in 2+ pieces. It probably has 20+ spare tires stored in the front half. It probably blows several tires during assembly. Some of the blowouts have launched hub caps into parts unknown.
    Agreed... I believe it's the first four door limo I've ever seen... if you were to fill it with people (it probably doesn't have seats, just for photo-ops, as you said), they'd have to traverse the "tunnel" to get to their seats.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,980 Times in 1,893 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    Yep, and don't bother asking what's under the hood because the engine is behind the rear windscreen. Don't know what to think about the missing hubcap
    re Missing hubcap. It's on backorder, stock on hand only 23 units.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thanks

IAMSatisfied's Tools
    The creator of this "limousine" was at one time asking $2 million for it, but he didn't get any takers... and this is the state of it today. Sure enough, it does break in two for transport. Looks like it was never completed on the inside.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to IAMSatisfied For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (Sep 8, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,980 Times in 1,893 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    I don't know who said that "Excess rarely creates success" but this goofy limo is proof. And 2 mil was horribly out of line for a bunch of mitered tubing, some axles, and cannibalized sheetmetal in a nonfunctional automobile.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thread Information