Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: MOTIVATION

Thanks

Crusty's Tools
    Went out today just to look over the old surface plate that I bought and while looking at it I saw that it would need its own stand. I went to the stack of scrap steel that I scored over the weekend just to look for possibilities and discovered a couple of angle steel frames which could be joined to make a sturdy stand for the plate. One thing led to another and by lunch time I had a finished stand for my surface plate. I still need to look the plate over however and who knows what that will result in tomorrow.

Just take the first step and more will naturally follow it.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    If you can't make it precise make it adjustable.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Crusty For This Useful Post:

MeJasonT (Jul 20, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,981 Times in 1,893 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Motivation vs procrastination. A very wise, (though not photogenic man jk lol), says
    Quote Originally Posted by Crusty View Post
    Just take the first step and more will naturally follow it.
    Yes, that's all one need. Get things done by starting. Interesting projects develop inertia.

2000 Tool Plans
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Jon
    Jon is offline Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,854 Times in 11,342 Posts
    Agreed, that's good motivation advice. You just promise yourself that you will put 15 minutes toward a task. If you quit at the exact 15-minute mark, no problem - you have kept your promise. People often find that once that inertia is going, they don't want to stop.

I see a lot of younger guys confusing productivity vs. motivation in online communities focused on productivity methods that I visit. Even more troubling, many of them claim that they are trying to be "productive", and they're reporting what looks to me (I'm not a psychologist) like internet addiction disorder - saying things like they "just can't" stop browsing YT vids, Tik-Tok GIFs, reddit, etc. Then they're looking for recommendations for the right app that will help them.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

MeJasonT (Jul 20, 2019), Toolmaker51 (Jul 20, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,789 Times in 4,207 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    A lot of times during these hotter days of summer instead of getting out and getting started on something I'm working on, if we need to go town we elect to get that out of the way. By the time we get back the morning is shot it will already be nearing 100 and I'm out of the mood to do much. So what might have taken an hour or so in the earlier morning hours when it was a little cooler might take me the rest of the afternoon because much of my work is out in the sun and the older I get the more breaks I find myself taking
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks

Crusty's Tools
    There's also the retired factor Frank.

How many retired people does it take to change a light bulb?

Just one but it takes all day.
    If you can't make it precise make it adjustable.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Crusty For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (Jul 21, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,789 Times in 4,207 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Crusty View Post
    There's also the retired factor Frank.

How many retired people does it take to change a light bulb?

Just one but it takes all day.
    in my case I might decide I didn't need it in the first place and just leave it alone
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks
    Thanked 2,981 Times in 1,893 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Agreed, that's good motivation advice. You just promise yourself that you will put 15 minutes toward a task. If you quit at the exact 15-minute mark, no problem - you have kept your promise. People often find that once that inertia is going, they don't want to stop.

I see a lot of younger guys confusing productivity vs. motivation in online communities focused on productivity methods that I visit. Even more troubling, many of them claim that they are trying to be "productive", and they're reporting what looks to me (I'm not a psychologist) like internet addiction disorder - saying things like they "just can't" stop browsing YT vids, Tik-Tok GIFs, reddit, etc. Then they're looking for recommendations for the right app that will help them.
    Motivation is either a playground slide or an incline. many times we have to set-up conditions [ofttimes not visible to others] to get something going.
    Productivity is measurable; even in the service industry.
    Those guys on line "trying to be productive" need to drop the phone or keyboard and get at it. Admittedly, internet can get absorbing but time comes to search versus wander. Even I know that.
    I'm packing up special tools, icewater and a little food and heading for the building. A flatbed is on the way, need to arrange where the equipment is going to be placed.
    As I have no internet connection up there, appears a lot will get done! Sure have a mobile phone, it just makes the web tedious, a great dissuasive element.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thread Information