Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Non jingling non stabbing key holder

Thanks

jere's Tools

Non jingling non stabbing key holder

Non  jingling non stabbing key holder-20150729_175340.jpg

I am always tinkering with the stuff in my pockets to add useage or minimize annoyance. my car keys and house keys have been through the most changes(part of the reason they are not all uniform). today I used an old hose clamp to make a new key index. my keys were already ground down from previous meddling. so today I just put two holes in a hose clamp bolted the key between with a small pry bar and a spacer to loop a lanyard through. the spacer is just two holes in a smaller piece of hose clamp with all the sharp edges ground down. hopefully self explanatory otherwise

below is the previous iteration, using brake tubing as a rivet, heat shrink tubing, and some paracord string. this one was axed because the keys would loosen in time and jab holes in my pockets.
    Non  jingling non stabbing key holder-20150728_173442.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jere For This Useful Post:

Jon (Jul 30, 2015), kbalch (Jul 30, 2015), PJs (Jul 30, 2015)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts
    Cool post, jere. I'm an EDC fan and this is one of the more practical ways I've seen of building a key holder. Although the multitool-based ones are nice, I find that taking one apart just to put your keys in is a waste of money and resources.

2000 Tool Plans

4. The Following User Says Thank You to DIYer For This Useful Post:

PJs (Jul 30, 2015)

PJs
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,118 Times in 718 Posts

PJs's Tools
    Nice build jere, with simple stuff, and really admire the mini pry bar. Carried a P38 for a Long Time now on mine...multiple uses. I'm with DIYer though about quick add/removal and have used the old cable locks for years because of it...and primarily because the fat bob keys with electronics don't have a simple solution. Good (EDC) thread start here...Thanks for sharing! ~PJ

Thanks

jere's Tools
    Thanks DIYer,
    I have seen people put keys in multitools like leathermans but I can't justify buying one for the same reasons as you. I think that if I owned one I would just go for the toolbox anyway.

Thanks

jere's Tools
    Thanks PJs

I have known a few people to carry those can openers really a great design and come in handy when you need them. You are right about the big electronic keys now too. With one of the car keys I carry I had to find a work around with a transponder in the key. Ended up destroying the only factory key I had but now I can use simple blank keys. It saved $80 for a copy of the key for the wife.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to jere For This Useful Post:

PJs (Jul 30, 2015)

PJs
    Thanks

PJs's Tools
    I do love my P38 although you can't get through the airport anymore with them... Interesting thought to pull the transponder off...I'd be chicken because I just had to replace my wifes key for a mere $120, but the design is better inside than it was. However the new design doesn't leave much for a hole or clamp of some kind. My brother told me his new truck key is $300 now...and its a huge bob! Not sure what the answer is but like your idea of a remote transponder. ~PJ

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,544 Times in 11,260 Posts
    Very useful solution. A stabbing I can tolerate, but I can't stand jingling when I walk. For crying out loud, I'm not a reindeer

There's some interesting stuff out there about people doing subdermal RFID implants for authentication against building doors, car doors, computers, etc. Not exactly next up on my projects list, but still fascinating.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

jere (Jul 30, 2015), PJs (Jul 30, 2015)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    There's some interesting stuff out there about people doing subdermal RFID implants for authentication against building doors, car doors, computers, etc.
    Neat stuff. I've been enthusiastically waiting for the tech to catch up with William Gibson's wirehead notions, to say nothing of Iain M. Banks' Culture tech. For me, the best scene in The Matrix was when Neo and Trinity are running across the rooftop toward the helicopter, he asks her if she can fly it, and she says, "Not yet!" How awesome is that? Sign me up!

Ken

13. The Following User Says Thank You to kbalch For This Useful Post:

PJs (Jul 30, 2015)

PJs
    Thanks

PJs's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Very useful solution. A stabbing I can tolerate, but I can't stand jingling when I walk. For crying out loud, I'm not a reindeer

There's some interesting stuff out there about people doing subdermal RFID implants for authentication against building doors, car doors, computers, etc. Not exactly next up on my projects list, but still fascinating.
    Busted me up Jon with the Reindeer<~~> The whole RFID thing...It would be a cold day somewhere and something about prying it from my cold dead hands before I would. Wonder if a stun gun would blow it? A small incident the other day with my son in Sears appliances...my wife called and talked for a minute then my blue tooth earpiece just went dead. Went to my settings and found every television in the place was trying to connect!!! Must have overloaded the function and shut down my earpiece because as soon as we left it worked fine...another one of those "you gotta get this" so we can have all your contacts and login info..."Apps".

I do like the idea of this thread for EDC...maybe a future topic? Thanks for making me Grin! ~PJ

PJs
    Thanks

PJs's Tools
    the best scene in The Matrix was when Neo and Trinity are running across the rooftop toward the helicopter, he asks her if she can fly it, and she says, "Not yet!" How awesome is that? Sign me up!

Ken
    I'm more of a PKD or Daniel Seigel-Brainstorm kind of guy...the idea of rapid learning has always fascinated me....but implant...Not Yet...~¿@ ~PJ

Thread Information