Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: One of those days

Thanks
    Thanked 8,789 Times in 4,207 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    As MR Spock once said after every logical answer has been perused whatever is left must be the solution no matter how illogical it seems

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

PJs
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,119 Times in 718 Posts

PJs's Tools
    Roger that! Sometimes I swear there is a 4th dimensional rift that comes through and just boggles the mind and infuriates ones sensibilities. I was building a power supply once and had my favorite screwdriver, used it, set it down and 30 seconds later reached for it and it was gone. Finally showed up 2 days later in about the same spot on the bench. Never forgot that from 40 years ago and it still happens, maybe more so as CRS sets in.

I may have to make an icon or emoji for that...

PJ

2000 Tool Plans
    ‘‘Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.’’
    Mark Twain

Supporting Member thehomeengineer's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,070 Times in 407 Posts

thehomeengineer's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by PJs View Post
    Roger that! Sometimes I swear there is a 4th dimensional rift that comes through and just boggles the mind and infuriates ones sensibilities. I was building a power supply once and had my favorite screwdriver, used it, set it down and 30 seconds later reached for it and it was gone. Finally showed up 2 days later in about the same spot on the bench. Never forgot that from 40 years ago and it still happens, maybe more so as CRS sets in.

I may have to make an icon or emoji for that...

PJ
    Still no show on the misplaced, dissolved, evaporated, liquefied, tele transported, or even plain old lost steel web

4. The Following User Says Thank You to thehomeengineer For This Useful Post:

PJs (Apr 20, 2018)

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,855 Times in 11,342 Posts
    There is also the unusual phenomenon of:

1. Frequently forgetting where you put a specific tool.
    2. Resolving to solve this problem by moving the tool to its own dedicated and prominent location. Say, on a hook directly over the middle of a workbench.
    3. Forgetting that you did #2.
    4. Searching again for the same tool, thoroughly checking many places it could be, but failing to find it.
    5. Next time you're at your workbench, seeing the tool - literally in front of your face.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Jun 15, 2018), PJs (Apr 20, 2018), thehomeengineer (Apr 20, 2018)

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Happened to me just today. 1 drawer in 1 of my tool boxes ie where I keep my small tire repair tools valve core removal tools tube buffer files spare valve stems and cores and the like.
    Valve cores are kind of small so they are kept in an old 35 mm film case seems pretty logical way to keep track of the spares. About a week ago I had used all but 1 of my spares. thinking I would replenish my supply the next time I go to town. Today I needed my last spare for a lawn mower tire I was repairing
    the film case was empty. I rummage through the small drawer to see if one had just been deposited in the drawer and not in the case. nothing I remove every large item in the drawer still don't see a core anywhere, Frustrated I cram the stuff back in the drawer then slam it shut. and go out to retrieve a core out of an old wheel bringing back 2 that looked good I use 1 then carry the other to the drawer as soon as I open the drawer there are 2 laying right in the middle in plain sight
    My only logical explanation for them being there is maybe something had them stuck to the underside of the drawer above and I had dislodged them when I slammed it shut. Anyway I now have 2 new and 1 nice looking used in the film case which I probably will not be able to find the next time.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Jun 15, 2018), PJs (Apr 20, 2018)

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    I hate it when I rearrange something thinking that what I do will make something easier to find only to spend an hour looking almost right at it and not being able to see it until I turn to walk away then it catches my eye. a few inches away from where I was sure it was and had thought I had look at that very spot.
    One of the most errant tools in my collection are my selection of pickle forks those are the tool used to remove things like tie rod ends I have 4 or them I try to keep them all in 1 place so I can find them when I need them a pickle fork is not a tool I use often so why do I always find them in first 1 place then in another each time I se 1 I put it in a drawer with the others or maybe I just think I put them in the drawer but really just left it where it was because when I need 1 I never find the one I want without having to search for it.
    There are times when I think about chipping all of my tools then getting an app on my phone to locate them either that or empty the 17 to 20 tool boxes and pile the contents in a heap on the floor then I would probably misplace the floor.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

PJs (Apr 20, 2018), thehomeengineer (Apr 20, 2018)

Supporting Member thehomeengineer's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,070 Times in 407 Posts

thehomeengineer's Tools
    Thank you Jon and Frank
    I do not feel so stupid now. I do it all the time. One day the steel web will turn up and I will remember why I put it where I did in the first place. There is always a good reason and explanation, why stuff ends up in the wrong place. I just wish I knew the answer at the time of it going missing so I don’t waste days thinking what ever happened to that item I made.

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,855 Times in 11,342 Posts
    RFID tool tracking looks more appealing as time goes by. This concept is already in use for operating room tracking; specifically to prevent "retained surgical items" - surgical tools and materials accidentally left inside a patient. "RFID" has been popping up in the medical journals for the past few years. Would need a bunch of passive RFID tags (I believe around $0.20 each?), and probably an Arduino or Raspberry Pi.

https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/6521706/
    Medtronic
    Haldor | Haldor
    http://www.corerfid.com/rfid%20shop/...healthcare.pdf
    NothingLeftBehind.com

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

thehomeengineer (Apr 21, 2018)

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Stevohdee's Tools
    I have a friend that uses a manbag, after leaving the cinema he pulled over and rummaged through bag for his phone, not there, i looked, not there. He drives a porsche 911s and when aggitated becomes mr hyde so we go back to cinema in quite a hurry. No use calling the phone because on silent as you do when in cinema. Asked at reception whether anyone handed it in, nuh, searched where we were sitting to the annoyance of movie goers, not there. So increasingly aggitated driving back to my place like a maniac he skids to a halt to search bag again, yes, it appeared!! The same thing happened with his wallet last week. We've dubbed it "the bermuda manbag" now as for tools disappearing....

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stevohdee For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Jun 15, 2018), PJs (Jun 14, 2018), thehomeengineer (Jun 15, 2018)

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    I carry my wife's cards in my wallet things like id insurance pharmacy bank cards and whatever else along with my cards if we have any cash on hand it is in my wallet as well.
    One day I was trying to locate 1 of my cards I turned the wallet inside out so to speak. and couldn't find it. I told here that she needed to get a wallet and carry her own stuff or maybe start carrying a purse, To that she said that I could get me a man bag to carry everything in. Yeah right. if I had 1 of those it would weigh 30 lbs I've made it to 64 without carrying a man purse yet besides that is what my pockets are for only so many wrenches and tools will fit in them if that is not enough I'll go tot the tool box.
    Oh yes the missing card it finally turned up in my wallet when I wasn't looking for it.Probably was stuck to another. either that of that transcendental portal to the alternate universe has found me again.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Jun 15, 2018), PJs (Jun 14, 2018), thehomeengineer (Jun 15, 2018)

Thread Information