Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Ancient horizontal to vertical mill conversion.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,650 Times in 710 Posts

tonyfoale's Tools

Ancient horizontal to vertical mill conversion.

Jon recently highlighted glens5's conversion Mill conversion. Home made "Marvin" attachment

That reminded me of a different conversion that I did over 60 years ago. I used to attend auctions in order to afford tools to build up my workshop. At that time secondhand machinery at auction was often sold at prices that a teenage student could afford. Although I had not even seen a vertical mill at that stage I knew that I wanted one but they never came up at auction, well none that I attended. On the other hand horizontal mills were almost given away. So one day I found myself to be the owner of one. My workshop was a large wooden box that my parents had made for furniture when moving house. It was very crowded with machines and motorcycles and it was a miracle that I could fit the mill in there as well. As the only photo, that I have of it, shows, I managed it.

Ancient horizontal to vertical mill conversion.-dyno-60s-2.jpg Click image for full size.

The object of this photo was not the mill but an engine dynamometer that I built from an old torque convertor but the mill can be seen on the left, although only part of the vertical head can be seen.

I made a vertical head by welding some 1/2" plate and thick walled tube with a welder that I had made from an old high voltage X-ray transformer core. Although the machining needed was very simple, just face off the back and through bore the tube true to the back, I knew that I did not have suitable tools for that. So I took it to a one man local machine shop where I frequently went to buy material offcuts. There I got to see a vertical mill for the first time, which I studied for as long as permitted. I explained what I wanted done but the man said that he did not have any means to do it. You can imagine the scene as a know-all 16/17 yo tried to tell a seasoned machinist how to do his job. I could not convince him to attempt it so I no choice but to do it myself with what I had. At the time that was a Myford lathe and a drill press. I made a large fly cutter for the lathe and clamped the piece to the cross slide and milled the back. IIRC I had to do it in two positions to reach the length. Not ideal but you do what you have to do. With the back done I reoriented the head, squaring the back off the sides of the cross slide. I made a line boring tool from some 1.5" bar (I would not have remembered the size but I still have it). Halfway along I cross drilled it 1/4" for a HSS tool bit. At one end it was held in a chuck, the other end held by a dead centre. Line boring like this ensures that the bore is parallel along it length. I fitted 75 mm OD taper roller bearing. To locate the bearings axially in this one diameter bore I turned a simple tube which was loctited in place, centered in the bore.
    In the absence of detailed photos of the head I just made this sketch which shows it well enough.

Ancient horizontal to vertical mill conversion.-head.jpg

I made a spindle with an MT2 socket, the spindle was through drilled so that I could use a draw bar when appropriate. A double stage pulley and belt system gave a large range of spindle speeds.

I would be interested to be able to measure the head today to see just how true I did machine it on that hardworked Myford back then, but I have not seen the machine since 1971. I recall that I did have a surface plate back then but my only measuring instrument would have been a 1" M&W micrometer, which I still have and use. In a twist of irony, lately I have been thinking about how to add a horizontal milling capability to my Bridgeport vertical mill.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,654 Posts

Thanks tonyfoale! We've added your Vertical Mill Conversion to our Milling category,
    as well as to your builder page: tonyfoale's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Thread Information