Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Welding Table light from recycled materials

Thanks

Canobi's Tools

Welding Table light from recycled materials

Hi folks

I've been harbouring a couple of high power LED lights I got from the scrap bin at work awhile ago (I was tipped off that they were working by the lead engineer) and with the nights now getting warmer, I thought I'd see if I could make a light stand for my welding table out of some of the other salvaged materials I've managed to accrue over time.

Here is what I ended up using:

1" x 4.3/4" x 3/16" box section

3/4" x 3' x 1/8" box section

Table clamp (not sure what it came from)

2' of DIN rail

M4 threaded stand off.

After running the grinder with a wire wheel over the clamp to remove the nickle coating around the weld points, I then did same to the 1" box section and put two heavy tacks top and bottom on both sides to join the two together:

I then took the 3/4" (which is a great fit for the 1") and DIN rail and after cleaning both of those up I tack welded the rail to one end. I could have done with thinner electrodes at this point as I got a bit of burn through but hey ho.

I then had a dig around in my small fixings bucket and opted for an M4 female/male threaded hex standoff which I figured would make a good lock nut for the hight adjustment (I may yet make a bespoke thumbscrew, good excuse as any to have a go at knurling) and then threaded and tapped a hole I the 1".

Once all the parts were assembled, I fitted the lights to the DIN rail and wired them together using a wiring block, though in order to fit the connectors inside the 3/4" box section, I had to separate each one and trim off most of the excess, I also made the earth leads longer so it's connector could be inserted after the live and neutral connectors were already inside the tube:

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    It's not the destination but the journey you take to get there that matters.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Canobi For This Useful Post:

Scotsman Hosie (Apr 27, 2019), Seedtick (Apr 23, 2019)

Thread Information