Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Wip...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,839 Times in 507 Posts

Tuomas's Tools

Wip...

Started to build douple sided bearded axe from RR-Track

Is there a shorter name for that kind axe?

Wip...-img_20180911_122649_426.jpg

Wip...-img_20180912_121259_815.jpg

Wip...-img_20180913_124403_616.jpg

Slowly getting there.. its been raining daily, that slows the progress.

Edit:

Final result

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by Tuomas; Sep 18, 2018 at 04:17 AM.

2. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Tuomas For This Useful Post:

baja (Dec 30, 2020), Frank S (Sep 13, 2018), Gregraper33712 (Jan 5, 2019), high-side (Sep 18, 2018), Jon (Sep 13, 2018), LMMasterMariner (Sep 17, 2018), MountainMan (Sep 22, 2018), NortonDommi (Jan 5, 2019), old_toolmaker (Sep 21, 2018), PJs (Sep 17, 2018), rlm98253 (Jan 4, 2019), rossbotics (Sep 17, 2018), Saxon Violence (Oct 13, 2018), Toolmaker51 (Sep 15, 2018), volodar (Sep 18, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,789 Times in 4,207 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Not sure exactly where you are going with this but from what I see so far you certainly have a handle on it.

2000 Tool Plans
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks

Tuomas's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    Not sure exactly where you are going with this but from what I see so far you certainly have a handle on it.
    Thank you.

Its going to be an axe, kind of battle axe, in Finland its called "Tappara"..

I shape both sides at the same time, cut it to half and weld together from the grooved sides.
    Then i have nice slot for the handle, and two bearded blade's.

This starts to be somewhat ready soon. I'll post more pictures when i have finished the handle.

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    I thought I saw where you had a cut right down the center of the web soon to be your blade.
    That must have been some trick to hollow out the crown like you have done. Were you able to simply bore a hole through it then cut away the rest, or did you have to grind all of the material out?
    I think I remember you saying something about not having a forge yet or maybe that was someone else. Are you going to have to cut away at the sides of the crown to thin down the section that will be the eye? I really don't see any other way to do that,even with a forge a lot of material would need to be cut away anyway.
    Interesting project and I know everyone is waiting on the outcome.

Thanks

Tuomas's Tools
    I thought I saw where you had a cut right down the center of the web soon to be your blade.
    That must have been some trick to hollow out the crown like you have done. Were you able to simply bore a hole through it then cut away the rest, or did you have to grind all of the material out?
    I think I remember you saying something about not having a forge yet or maybe that was someone else. Are you going to have to cut away at the sides of the crown to thin down the section that will be the eye? I really don't see any other way to do that,even with a forge a lot of material would need to be cut away anyway.
    Interesting project and I know everyone is waiting on the outcome.
    Yep. Those are grinded. I made the slot by cutting away v-shaped piece, then grinded bottom rounded. Finished bottom of the groove with hand file. That actually didn't take much time..

Now i have been sanding it with finer grades to get shinier surface, this is somewhat slow process...

But still i don't think its actually very hard job to be done, takes some hours but not days.

Its been raining every day this week and my workshift this week is 2 am to 10 am, so i have had only hour or two for to be used to this. But i hope i get it done during weekend.

Thanks

Tuomas's Tools
    Btw.. about grinding..

This was the belt sander that i made at my workplace ten years ago.
    Wip...-6663.jpg

It was mounted to submerced arc welder automat.

We we're making components from a 6" thick cast steel.
    Those cast's was allways different sized, so we had to weld extra material to the joining area and sand it smooth..

First we made it by hand, later with this belt sander.
    It traveled automaticly on the set height, and made good result.

After 6 months of hard use it burnt. But worked just as long as needed.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tuomas For This Useful Post:

Frank S (Sep 15, 2018), Jon (Sep 14, 2018), NortonDommi (Jan 5, 2019), PJs (Sep 17, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,981 Times in 1,893 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    I'll have to say Tuomas, and sincerely as I know how...never saw anyone create so many types of fabrication with grinding/ sanding as main shaping process. Really astounds me; flat work, bar stock, pipe saddles, axe bits and eyes...Ay, Caramba!

Cruising HMT.net in the morning brought reminder that I might not be only one impressed, as our own Tuomas "...got sponsorship from Metabo and 3M. Social media is strange place..."

1] And I'm no expert on axe's, but it seems yours might be "bearded double bit" or "double bearded bits", and historical roots to the Norse, Vikings, Finland, etc.
    2] There is a shorter name, being a battle-axe, uttered by it's next victim.
    3] Another title is drawn from that too, seemingly unrelated unless you know one, is "mother in law" and probably her daughter right before she becomes your ex.
    4] Lol, I have 3.
    Last edited by Toolmaker51; Sep 16, 2018 at 10:44 AM. Reason: Added a salute. And again! And coup de grâce.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Toolmaker51 For This Useful Post:

NortonDommi (Jan 5, 2019), PJs (Sep 17, 2018), Tuomas (Sep 16, 2018)

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    TM51 I agree, I've always considered grinding /sanding as the necessary evil, only to be done to achieve the final result. Tuomas and others though seem to have managed to step the process up several notches.
    I have a knife making friend nearby who makes dome of the most ornate unique folded and birdseye Damascus blades I have ever seen after he has finished forging to the point he wants he will grind on a blade for DAYS sometimes weeks.
    That large belt grinder Tuomas made is the cat's claws in my book.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

PJs (Sep 17, 2018), Tuomas (Sep 16, 2018)

Thanks

Tuomas's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Toolmaker51 View Post
    I'll have to say Tuomas, and sincerely as I know how...never saw anyone create so many types of fabrication with grinding/ sanding as main shaping process. Really astounds me; flat work, bar stock, pipe saddles, axe bits and eyes...Ay, Caramba!

Cruising HMT.net in the morning brought reminder that I might not be only one impressed, as our own Tuomas "...got sponsorship from Metabo and 3M. Social media is strange place..."
    Thanks mate.
    Yeah i was really surpised when they contacted me.
    It seems that even that i make youtube videos, more important thing was that i also post things on the places where is people who actually uses tools. Not just spend their time watching videos.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tuomas For This Useful Post:

PJs (Sep 17, 2018), rlm98253 (Jan 4, 2019)

Thanks

Tuomas's Tools
    TM51 I agree, I've always considered grinding /sanding as the necessary evil, only to be done to achieve the final result. Tuomas and others though seem to have managed to step the process up several notches.
    I have a knife making friend nearby who makes dome of the most ornate unique folded and birdseye Damascus blades I have ever seen after he has finished forging to the point he wants he will grind on a blade for DAYS sometimes weeks.
    That large belt grinder Tuomas made is the cat's claws in my book.
    Thank you Frank.

I don't like my job everyday.. but i still think,
    That i have great workplace. They never deny you to improve things, working area or tools..

Of course there is allways safety issues and things öike that to consider. But there is allways one listening. Nobody never says that the idea is stupid, before actually thinking it first.

I would like to build good workshop to myself,
    but because my space is very limited, i have had to leave that for the future. That doesn't bother, because i can build those stuff at work, its frustrating to get an idea and then reject it, just because you don't have space for it.

We have couple big companies as a customer, with them is very hard to get things fixed or improved. There so many tasks that could be done better with little re-design, but it takes months to get even errors fixed from the plans, that is the part that i don't like on my job.

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Tuomas For This Useful Post:

NortonDommi (Jan 5, 2019), PJs (Sep 17, 2018), rlm98253 (Jan 4, 2019), Toolmaker51 (Sep 16, 2018), volodar (Sep 18, 2018)

Thread Information