Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: $ 3 billion gold bullion - photo

Thanks
    Thanked 8,785 Times in 4,206 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by piper184 View Post
    A LOT!

But they will either be very short, or very hollow to keep the weight down.
    Being thinner would probably not be a huge problem since gold is not quite as soft as lead. I think if I were to make bullets out of gold though I would cast them thin then fill with sodium and seal the tip with wax. they would deform on impact with moderate penetration then burst into flames once the sodium hit the wet soft tissue Dead is dead and it doesn't matter how they get that way Mercury might be fine if stored in a freezer and only used in very cold climates if it didn't disintegrate from the heat coming out the barrel. Spent nuclear fuel rods might make good bullets but handling them would be as hazardous to the sniper as the victim.
    Oh well guess I'll just have to stick to accumulating more lead little over 600 lbs now

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks

IntheGroove's Tools
    A little depleted uranium does make a good round...
    $ 3 billion gold bullion - photo-30mm-du-anatomy-veteranstoday.com.jpg

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    Thanked 2,980 Times in 1,893 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    We're going back in time, following Marv making rounds of different institutions as they're conceiving all the systems of measurement. Epic, the today Marv vs the historic organizations.
    There are many potential outcomes. Two most likely;
    a) Everything winds up base 10.......
    b) All as we see now, and they have his middle finger right next to Galileo's......
    Ladies and Gentlemen, place your bets.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thanks
    Thanked 6,391 Times in 2,118 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Toolmaker51 View Post
    We're going back in time, following Marv making rounds of different institutions as they're conceiving all the systems of measurement. Epic, the today Marv vs the historic organizations.
    There are many potential outcomes. Two most likely;
    a) Everything winds up base 10.......
    b) All as we see now, and they have his middle finger right next to Galileo's......
    Ladies and Gentlemen, place your bets.
    And the idiocy marches on...

Shotgun gauges...

The logical measure is diameter (ball OD or barrel ID) and the means to measure such certainly existed if shotguns were being manufactured but no, let's calibrate the gun according to some obscure tradesman's (the lead caster) measure of convenience. If I developed a new type of super drill and decided to label them with a number that represented how many of them it took to make a pound of weight, wouldn't you think me nuts?

Then there's barrels...

There are seven different barrel sizes used in the USA, with the size being dependent on the contents. Their names and metric equivalents are as follows: US cranberry (95.5 liters), US dry (115.628 liters), US liquid (119.24 liters), US federal (117.348 liters), US federal proof spirits (151.416 liters), US drum (208.4 liters), US petroleum (135 kg.), US petroleum statistical (158.99 liters).

And all those quaint, folksy names that conceal what is being measured...

In the inferial system, which of the following are names of legitimate units?
    grad, sack, minim, pinch, mil, turn, oscar, point, jeroboam

grad, pinch, turn, and oscar are not inferial units, AFAIK. However, as the idiocy escalates, this may change in the future. The oscar would be an ideal unit for measuring the weight of small statuettes :-)
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mklotz For This Useful Post:

Frank S (Jan 11, 2023), Toolmaker51 (Jan 11, 2023)

Thanks

Toolmaker51's Tools
    OK, I'll schedule stops at Beretta, Holland & Holland, Rigby too.
    BTW, Beretta at 496 years old, highly likely that gauge hoo-haw started that era.

re pinch; anyone here with a grandmother. used that cooking and baking every day.

found a terrific quote.
    America is a young country, and American gun owners and manufacturers always keep an eye on the future. However, we can learn some important lessons from the longevity of Old World gun companies. What’s Beretta’s secret?

“Beretta has been continuously reinventing itself for nearly 500 years,” Francesco Valente, General Manager and COO of Beretta USA, said. “We think in terms of decades, not quarters – that is why we can invest so much in research and development and invest in environmental conservation to preserve the future of our planet."
    Last edited by Toolmaker51; Jan 11, 2023 at 11:22 AM.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51

Thanks

mklotz's Tools
    OK, I'll schedule stops at Beretta, Holland & Holland, Rigby too.
    BTW, Beretta at 496 years old, highly likely that gauge hoo-haw started that era.

re pinch; anyone here with a grandmother. used that cooking and baking every day.

found a terrific quote.
    America is a young country, and American gun owners and manufacturers always keep an eye on the future. However, we can learn some important lessons from the longevity of Old World gun companies. What’s Beretta’s secret?

“Beretta has been continuously reinventing itself for nearly 500 years,” Francesco Valente, General Manager and COO of Beretta USA, said. “We think in terms of decades, not quarters – that is why we can invest so much in research and development and invest in environmental conservation to preserve the future of our planet."
    The shotgun gauge thing may hark back to the days of muzzle loading cannons which were referred to by the weight of their shot rather than the diameter of the bore.

Your former employer, the USN, is not innocent of measurement confusion. They list the Iowa's main guns as 16 inch, 50 caliber. What genius decided to measure the length of the barrel in multiples of the bore? And then use the same term that has an entirely different meaning in the small arms arena.

BTW, I most definitely do not argue to ensure everything "winds up base 10". Reread my white paper here...

A glimmer of hope

and you'll understand why powers of ten simplify, but are not the real substance of a rational measurement system.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware

8. The Following User Says Thank You to mklotz For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (Jan 11, 2023)

Thanks

Toolmaker51's Tools
    I hope, truly, to not have incensed Mr. Klotz.
    Visualizing a modern expert presenting solid arguments contrary to those establishing a system, plain irresistible.
    The selection of "base 10" was a simplification. It would improve plenty in a general sense, but certainly not all.

Galileo's finger, coupled with mid 80's recant of his excommunication, is a long time favorite; as if a trophy.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51

Thanks

mklotz's Tools
    I hope, truly, to not have incensed Mr. Klotz.
    Visualizing a modern expert presenting solid arguments contrary to those establishing a system, plain irresistible.
    The selection of "base 10" was a simplification. It would improve plenty in a general sense, but certainly not all.

Galileo's finger, coupled with mid 80's recant of his excommunication, is a long time favorite; as if a trophy.
    No worries, no incense here.

The church has finally admitted that 'it does move'*, only a few centuries too late. Perhaps it was for the best. It's hopefully made them sensitive to the fact that religion has no business dispensing scientific "truth".

Despite their failure at astronomy, the church has harbored some accomplished scientists...

Gregor Mendel, the father of modern genetics

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gregor_Mendel

Georges Lemaître, physicist, responsible for the concept of the expanding universe

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georges_Lema%C3%AEtre

--
    As Galileo was being taken away to house arrest by the inquisition, it's rumored he muttered, "And yet, it moves" referring to his assurance that the earth revolves around the sun and not vice versa as the church ordained.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware

11. The Following User Says Thank You to mklotz For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (Jan 11, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,785 Times in 4,206 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by mklotz View Post
    No worries, no incense here.

The church has finally admitted that 'it does move'*, only a few centuries too late. Perhaps it was for the best. It's hopefully made them sensitive to the fact that religion has no business dispensing scientific "truth".

Despite their failure at astronomy, the church has harbored some accomplished scientists...

Gregor Mendel, the father of modern genetics

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gregor_Mendel

Georges Lemaître, physicist, responsible for the concept of the expanding universe

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georges_Lema%C3%AEtre

--
    As Galileo was being taken away to house arrest by the inquisition, it's rumored he muttered, "And yet, it moves" referring to his assurance that the earth revolves around the sun and not vice versa as the church ordained.
    My grandmother said that all churches and all religions were a bunch of heathens except for the one she went to, and she had her doubts about our Chicken eating preacher at times, however that didn't stop her from serving fried chicken every sunday knowing he would be joining for dinner

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thread Information