Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: “Butterfly” winders

Supporting Member Philip Davies's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,022 Times in 343 Posts

Philip Davies's Tools

“Butterfly” winders

“Butterfly” winders-img_0505.jpeg“Butterfly” winders-img_0506.jpeg

Maybe this has been put up before, but since I’ve just made three more, this time from bits of mahogany, it’s a pleasure to present the idea again.

I can’t find the tools I’ve posted previously.

The second picture shows a deluxe version, which used to be kept in my tool bag, sadly no longer. There are 2 brass ferrules inserted for the bradawls.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Philip Davies For This Useful Post:

Christophe Mineau (Sep 1, 2023)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,654 Posts

Thanks Philip Davies! We've added your Butterfly Winders to our Storage and Organization category,
    as well as to your builder page: Philip Davies's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Looking at the pics I'm unable to figure out what the pointy tools in the pictures are all about. I know I'm missing some dark secret here. Like what makes the "butterfly" part of this? EdW

Thanks
    Thanked 8,789 Times in 4,207 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Weldon View Post
    Looking at the pics I'm unable to figure out what the pointy tools in the pictures are all about. I know I'm missing some dark secret here. Like what makes the "butterfly" part of this? EdW
    I would suspect the awls could have a myriad of uses with the butterfly. 1 can be used as the axle while the other the crank to wind up the line with the plumb bob. both could be used as an axle to pay out the line You could stab 1 into a mortar joint or a rafter to hook the line over and the other as a scribe or if a line level is also incorporated stab both of them some distance apart horizontally then use the plumb bob for making a perpendicular line to the horizontal. With a 3rd awl the line plumbbob and a framing square complex geometrical shape can be laid out
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

Philip Davies (Sep 1, 2023)

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Oh!!. Now I get it. The butterfly is a holder for string or cord that is used for construction measurements. I was thinking of it in the context of something to wrap, carry and store rope, electric cords or similar bulk lines.
    Still, the idea of a wood construction for the storage application has a certain appeal. As I get on in years the aesthtics of the workshop and its contents grows in importance. And construction of simple wood tools and accessories brings a lot of almost instant gratification. To that end I've recently learned how to use a buffing wheel to produce a very pleasant soft finish on wood tool handles. This makes for a pleasant "warm-up" round for a period of shop work. ......... EdW

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Ed Weldon For This Useful Post:

Philip Davies (Sep 1, 2023)

Supporting Member Philip Davies's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,022 Times in 343 Posts

Philip Davies's Tools
    Apologies for the lack of clarity. Also, I must acknowledge the author of the idea. It is found in Jeff Taylor’s excellent book, “Tools of the Trade”, sub-titled “ The art and craft of carpentry”. As an illustration of how good the book is, I learned more than 13 things about hammers. Hadn’t known before from just the first chapter.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information