Growing up in the 50’s and 60’s, I used to help out my dad all the time with all kinds of home building and repair projects. One of his favorite sayings that has stuck with me all these years was: “Son, a little paint hides a lot of sins.” I’ve found my dad was right over the past few decades in so many ways.

Hiding “sins” (although there are many) is not really why I have applied paint to the hull this early in the build. The real reason is because we are now entering into a long Downeast Maine Winter season and even under poly-tarps, the UV rays of the sun will break down the otherwise exposed barrier coats of epoxy resin.

I’m presently racing the calendar, getting as much done as I can before the snow flies and the deep freeze sets in. There are now fewer days with any sun and high enough temperatures to use any kind of paint or resins. Of those days, they are now quite shorter in terms of sun light, especially at our Northern latitude here in Downeast Maine (along the seacoast near the US/Canadian border).

Here's the video: