This video covers the fitting and installation of a “shoe” that will go on the bottom of the skeg to protect the edge grain of the plywood used to fabricate the skeg. The shoe will extend beyond the skeg to protect the rudder. Another “shoe” will be applied to the forward edge of the skeg, extending from the keel to the bottom “shoe.” This will protect the plywood end grain of the skeg and the end grain of the bottom shoe. The leading-edge shoe will also be shaped and rounded to allow laminar flow. The “shoes” will also be covered with fiberglass and epoxy resin, however that part of the skeg work is simply repetitive of previous fiberglass and epoxy applications shown in previous videos. Therefore, I did not include any footage of that segment of the build.

Great News! – No doubt most of you are starting to get bored with all the skeg video content, so I promise this to be the last video to be published about the skeg. Time to move on!

Note: The “fairing” is limited to a “rough,” workboat like finish. It will not receive a yacht like finish, and this is my personal choice. I simply do not wish to put that much time and effort into the finish when there are so many other more important (to me) jobs ahead that must be accomplished before the cold weather sets in here in Maine.

Here's the video: