Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: 1920 AJS Restoration

Thanks
    Thanked 1,548 Times in 466 Posts

olderdan's Tools

1920 AJS Restoration

Just a reminder of where it started.
    1920 AJS Restoration-old-ajs.jpg

Making some progress at last. I have not bothered with blow by blow updates as much of the work has been tedious i.e. making bolts / nuts and studs etc and nickel plating. Thread forms encountered so far are BSC/Whitworth/BSF/UNF/BA/BSP. A missing front wheel stand had to be fabricated as close to original drawings as possible and scaled from photos. In SketchUp it is very easy to precisely scale photos and drawings to obtain real world dimensions using one known size. The frame is brush painted in acrylic enamel and turned out well. Valve timing was a bit of fun having lost the timing marks on the replacement crank pinion but got there with a timing disc. The complete front brake caliper is another remade part as the original was beyond repair. The wheels have been powder coated and ready to go in. It is the first time I have fitted beaded edge (clincher) tires and I hope its the last. All paintwork is now done except for the petrol/oil tank which is in need of work inside and out.
    This has been the cheapest restoration I have done so far as no replacement parts are available just time and effort.
    1920 AJS Restoration-img_20230728_164947802.jpg1920 AJS Restoration-img_20230729_094228815.jpg1920 AJS Restoration-img_20230729_094307749.jpg1920 AJS Restoration-img_20230729_094353582.jpg1920 AJS Restoration-img_20230729_094431963.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to olderdan For This Useful Post:

Altair (Aug 5, 2023), lavern s (Jul 31, 2023), nova_robotics (Aug 6, 2023), piper184 (Aug 1, 2023), rayh__ (Aug 1, 2023), tonyfoale (Aug 1, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,650 Times in 710 Posts

tonyfoale's Tools
    Great job, as expected. How rare is this model?

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    Thanked 1,548 Times in 466 Posts

olderdan's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyfoale View Post
    Great job, as expected. How rare is this model?
    Hi Tony. I am not sure exactly how rare this model is but they do turn up in auctions usually restored. The value's seem to be £12 000 to £16000 I expect mine to be at the lower range.
    I will sell it as its not the sort of bike I would want to ride in modern traffic.
    Future
    In plan to sell my 3 motorcycles a Triumph T100ss a Dot Trials and the 1920 AJS. (as I can no longer ride legally)
    That should fund the purchase of my dream bike a Vincent Comet, for all its faults of the time it is for me a real engineers motorcycle and I have a fondness for singles. I cant ride for health reasons but at least I will have owned one.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,650 Times in 710 Posts

tonyfoale's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by olderdan View Post
    Hi Tony.
    Future
    In plan to sell my 3 motorcycles a Triumph T100ss a Dot Trials and the 1920 AJS. (as I can no longer ride legally)
    That should fund the purchase of my dream bike a Vincent Comet, for all its faults of the time it is for me a real engineers motorcycle and I have a fondness for singles. I cant ride for health reasons but at least I will have owned one.
    Alan,
    I do not recall ever riding a Comet but years ago in a past century in another country, I had a friend with a Black Shadow which I could ride pretty much when I wanted to, which was often. Even my wife liked riding pillion on that. I should have bought one when they were still affordable but then as now my money went on racing.

Fortunately for me, even though I am ancient, I have no health issues to stop me riding. I do appreciate my good fortune in that regard and I feel for those like you who are not so lucky. I do have a bit of crash damage, mainly in the knees which only shows up on a long flight of stairs.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

6. The Following User Says Thank You to tonyfoale For This Useful Post:

olderdan (Sep 11, 2023)

Thread Information