Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 1960 Chevrolet Corvair dash baby cradle - photo

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,699 Times in 9,869 Posts

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Altair For This Useful Post:

EnginePaul (Feb 5, 2023)

Thanks

IntheGroove's Tools
    Is that Ralph Nader...

2000 Tool Plans

4. The Following User Says Thank You to IntheGroove For This Useful Post:

EnginePaul (Feb 5, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,785 Times in 4,206 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    And probably a couple of older siblings sitting in the back seat, no seat belts no crash resistant passenger compartment, no head rests, no air bags or electronic warning sensors. How on earth did we ever survive?
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks

WmRMeyers's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    And probably a couple of older siblings sitting in the back seat, no seat belts no crash resistant passenger compartment, no head rests, no air bags or electronic warning sensors. How on earth did we ever survive?
    Things were a little less crazy then. About 1963 or so, I was fiddling with the door handle in my step-mom's car on the Santa Ana freeway and fell out of the car in rush hour traffic. She stopped the car, got me back in the car, and chewed me out for messing with the door handle, but if that had happened today, I'd have probably gotten hit by 40 or 50 cars before traffic could stop. When I was a teen, around a decade later, LA was crowded, we thought. About 7million people in LA county. Now it's upwards of 12 million. Where I live now, the whole state has a bit less than 4 million people. And native Okies who don't travel much think the traffic's heavy here.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,785 Times in 4,206 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by WmRMeyers View Post
    Things were a little less crazy then. About 1963 or so, I was fiddling with the door handle in my step-mom's car on the Santa Ana freeway and fell out of the car in rush hour traffic. She stopped the car, got me back in the car, and chewed me out for messing with the door handle, but if that had happened today, I'd have probably gotten hit by 40 or 50 cars before traffic could stop. When I was a teen, around a decade later, LA was crowded, we thought. About 7million people in LA county. Now it's upwards of 12 million. Where I live now, the whole state has a bit less than 4 million people. And native Okies who don't travel much think the traffic's heavy here.
    Been in an argument with my veh.INS. agent over my premiums, No accidents or tickets in over 30 years. and since moving out here where I live now I actually drive fewer than 1,500 miles a year, the veh. I currently am driving a 1991 F250 Diesel I have parked my other 3 and put them in non op status since we only go to town when our water tower gets low it was the best choice to remain on the road. this year my premiums went up by $200.00 per. would be more if I wasn't paying in full each renewal. I asked him why such an increase>
    Because Texas has one of the highest accident rates, in the country just now.
    I said let me guess the rates are based on the traffic in the cities, right? You do realize there are more guest rooms in the Dallas Sheridan hotel than there are people in my entire county. I can make 5 trips to town and back and still count all of the cars sharing the road with me during any 1 of those trips with the fingers of 1 hand and still a 1 left over to pick my nose with.
    I sometimes really believe Texas should have closed its own boarders. 30 years ago. And now they should limit immigration from other states to those who own a business or they or their parents were born here.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Supporting Member bruce.desertrat's Avatar
    Thanks

bruce.desertrat's Tools
    Easy answer: a hell of a lot of us didn't survive.

Deaths per passenger miles has decreased by almost fivefold since 1960 and that Corvair https://injuryfacts.nsc.org/motor-ve...ths-and-rates/

Thanks

IntheGroove's Tools
    My first car was a 1964 Corvair. I survived...

Supporting Member TrickieDickie's Avatar
    Thanks
    Common sense would dictate people living in the congested cities with higher occurrences of accidents would bare the high premiums not people living in rural areas. I took the liberty of a sky view of Peacock, Frank, there isn't much there or near it. I am betting the higher rates involve people without drivers licenses and/or insurance multiplying the issue which the rest of us then have to pick up the tab. I can imagine you gave the insurance agent a sound verbal thrashing.

Supporting Member schuylergrace's Avatar
    Thanks
    According to NHTSA, the fatality rate on rural roads is twice the rate in urban areas for a number of reasons (although there are slightly fewer total rural fatalities in number). And since fatalities tend to be much more expensive for the insurers, I'm sure that's why a rural driver would be charged more.

For topical application, only. Not to be taken internally or used in com-
    bination with other drugs or alcohol, except as directed by your shaman.
    Do not operate heavy equipment, unless you actually know how to.

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Gadgeteer's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by IntheGroove View Post
    My first car was a 1964 Corvair. I survived...
    In 1965 a college buddy and I drove his 1964 Corvair from Iowa to the east entrance to Yosemite NP. We were in a hurry to get to the park, so drove across Nevada at night. Never seen so many jack rabbits... we hit 112. We saw a large mountain lion just after entering the park... it was, probably, heading for Nevada.
    Last edited by Gadgeteer; Feb 5, 2023 at 12:56 AM.

Thread Information