Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: 33. Ditch pegboard for shadowboxing (shorts tip)

Thanks

Make Things's Tools

33. Ditch pegboard for shadowboxing (shorts tip)

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Make Things For This Useful Post:

carloski (Sep 2, 2022), hemmjo (Sep 5, 2022), Inner (Sep 1, 2022), mr mikey (Sep 1, 2022), nova_robotics (Sep 1, 2022), old_toolmaker (Sep 2, 2022), rlm98253 (Jun 12, 2023), Sleykin (Sep 1, 2022), Toolmaker51 (Sep 9, 2022), uv8452 (Jun 12, 2023)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts

Thanks Make Things! We've added your Shadowbox Storage Method to our Storage and Organization category,
    as well as to your builder page: Make Things's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks

desbromilow's Tools
    I had the best of both worlds in my previous shed - I got a heap of salvage hollowcore doors, and mounted them on the wall. Screw into them whereever I wanted, but I could also use pegboard style hooks as well.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,980 Times in 1,893 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Pegboard never a favorite, 1/8" hooks are the worst, it was rare to see 1/4" available at retail. Detriment of hooks is in tools, few have balance or protrusion for a hook. Shadowbox holding is reliable, I like open corners, to avoid trapping debris, usually by just inclining he holder.

That said, the 'library' of tool & surface grinding wheels will hang on slatwall, a stub of PVC shrouding the wire hook. At Habitat Restore, scored 7 panels uber cheap n' cheerful, that'll be more than sufficient. Think rigging a full length french cleat will save a lot of carpentry.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Toolmaker51 For This Useful Post:

Make Things (Sep 9, 2022)

Thanks

Make Things's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Toolmaker51 View Post
    Pegboard never a favorite, 1/8" hooks are the worst, it was rare to see 1/4" available at retail. Detriment of hooks is in tools, few have balance or protrusion for a hook. Shadowbox holding is reliable, I like open corners, to avoid trapping debris, usually by just inclining he holder.

That said, the 'library' of tool & surface grinding wheels will hang on slatwall, a stub of PVC shrouding the wire hook. At Habitat Restore, scored 7 panels uber cheap n' cheerful, that'll be more than sufficient. Think rigging a full length french cleat will save a lot of carpentry.
    I'm certainly not going to criticize anyone, even if they use pegboard. I think what works for some doesn't work for others. French cleats are great (and your method sounds like it would work too). My problem with keeping things put in their spaces is that those spaces can never change for me to keep things organized. That means a static wall where moving things around is not an option. With the method I use, I never, I mean ever, forget what goes where. If it's not in it's spot, it means I need to go look for it...which I don't think works well with french cleats.

Another problem I have with french cleats and other similar methods is that a lot of times the cleats have to be nested in a way that makes sense for cleats. I feel like cleats can sometimes hinder space as they rely on tracks on the wall.

As far as the building side of my method, yes, it does take time. It takes far more time than cleats or even pegboard. But the beauty that comes with engineering each spot on the wall for a particular tool is twofold. There's a level of respect that comes with your tools and pride as that tool was build for that spot on the wall. There are some tools that I couldn't very easily replace as the tool thats there is customized for that position.

So to really try to sum up that mess of words: Tools that are designed for certain places are more difficult for me to lose and even more difficult for me to replace from the store. I end up saving money because I don't buy 15 hammers. The hammer that I have, that I love and have respectfully given a home to, is the hammer I always use and would not want to replace.

Again, this could totally be my sentimentally challenged brain that enjoys this method, but for me it works really well. Then again, I enjoy building homemade tools, so homemade holders naturally work for my wall.

Thanks for your comment!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Make Things For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (Sep 9, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,980 Times in 1,893 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Those are logical, productive details. Hard to argue with "a place for everything, and everything in its place".
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Toolmaker51 For This Useful Post:

Make Things (Sep 9, 2022)

Thanks

Make Things's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Toolmaker51 View Post
    Those are logical, productive details. Hard to argue with "a place for everything, and everything in its place".
    Believe me, I'm still chasing that place for everything! But it's getting harder to lose things as I go along ��

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Make Things For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (Sep 11, 2022)

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Never liked the look of pegboard - but building boxes and special holders, or cleats etc custome for every tool (while looks nice) was far too much work for me. I used a hybrid - a sheet of kitchen "white" board allowed me to attach pegboard clips exactly where I wanted (used wire to secure them) and cut out tool "shadows" from colored contact paper - I chose green - and a quick glance and I know a tool was not returned to - its' place.

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Elizabeth Greene's Tools

Opinion

This is a really great system.

It doesn't look as cool as a pegboard, but using a pegboard is a PITA. There is no good way to store spare hooks that doesn't immediately turn into a tangled rat's nest, and having crap fall off when you grab a tool is infuriating.

With Plywood, when you get a new tool you drive a nail, cut off the head, optionally bend it to a hook shape, and you have a spot for it. My brother-in-law's father took it one step further by boxing in the Plywood with 2x4s and mounting another box with piano hinges to make it a closable cabinet. That's nice because it keeps the dust down.

If you've never seen the H.O. Studley tool chest, Bing it and take a look. It's this technique, evolved to high art.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information